• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:52:57 AM

Somthing for the modders maybe

Started by matty0l215, August 21, 2015, 10:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

August 21, 2015, 11:49:43 AM #1 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:51:28 AM by Hawk UK
Quote from: matty0l215 on August 21, 2015, 10:37:20 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/388980

Race track builder is realesed :)

I'm always cautious of these kind of things... Usually they are very limited in allowing you to achieve what you want, particularly in the detail. However, what I am very impressed about is the ability to export the work via FBX into a professional 3D app like Maya or 3dsMax to then be able to add other details required, tweak and fine tune things.

Having the google map import facility to import the map height data would be a great thing if google map/earth height data was accurate(in actual fact it is very inaccurate indeed, especially when your down at the resolution needed for accurate track height data. ); again however I suppose it would be good for doing all the donkey work in getting the circuit terrain fleshed out and then export it via FBX into Maya for terrain work and other refinements.

Initial conclusion:

• Great for doing the foundation work to a real-life circuit and then exporting it into a Pro-3D app to finish the job properly.
  • Probably a brilliant piece of kit if your only thinking of creating fantasy circuits alone.
  • Still need to do a lot of work in 3ds max or Maya when it comes to integrating the track into GPB whichever way you use this.

I'm seriously thinking of buying this to see what can be done with it.....

Nice post Matty!  Thanks.  ;) 8)

Hawk.

matty0l215

Its the same man behind bobs track builder.

Not to sure how accurate google maps data will be (it will give us a good idea though) but im looking forward to playing with it :D

Hawk

August 21, 2015, 02:27:13 PM #3 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:30:50 PM by Hawk UK
Quote from: matty0l215 on August 21, 2015, 12:29:28 PM
Its the same man behind bobs track builder.

Not to sure how accurate google maps data will be (it will give us a good idea though) but im looking forward to playing with it :D

Oh yes.... I know it's the same guy who developed BTB; he is in fact planning on integrating a lot of the functions of BTB into this one in the near future.  :)

Keep us informed how you get on with Race Track Builder, and if you find it's not for you then let me know and we may be able to trade(exchange) something for it on Steam.  ;)

Hawk.

Edit: To test how accurate Google Maps/Earth terrain height data is - For your first capture of terrain from google maps, try the Cadwell Park Track area and I'm sure you will see what I mean.  ;)

RiccoChicco

I'll probably buy it in few weeks (student inside, not that much money to finish the month ;D ;D) but i'm pretty sure it's perfect to create road tracks. Of course the data provided by Google is far from perfect, but for realistic landscapes it could be a really good start for beautiful tracks.

First thing I think about this software is something about the so hoped IOM TT. I might have an idea to get it quite fast if some other modders are ready to collaborate :)

Hawk

Quote from: RiccoChicco on August 21, 2015, 02:57:11 PM
I'll probably buy it in few weeks (student inside, not that much money to finish the month ;D ;D) but i'm pretty sure it's perfect to create road tracks. Of course the data provided by Google is far from perfect, but for realistic landscapes it could be a really good start for beautiful tracks.

First thing I think about this software is something about the so hoped IOM TT. I might have an idea to get it quite fast if some other modders are ready to collaborate :)

Hi Ricco.

Firstly I totally agree with you about this software being able to give modders a good start for beautiful tracks.  ;)

About the IOM TT track: It wouldn't be too hard to get the terrain and track sorted(probably especially with the use of "Racing Track Builder"), but I think creating all the peripheral models for the kerbs, buildings, signs, positioning of the trees, walls, fencing and bankings would take the longest time, let alone the road markings, but I guess those things could be added over time as an on-going WIP project with regular updates as and when additions for those objects have been made?  :)

If there is modelling work I could work on that wouldn't take too much time, then I would be willing to contribute. Other than that I'm really busy right now with other work and projects. ;)

I'm still not sure GPB could handle such a large amount of objects in a scene? Hard to really test without doing it.  :)

Hawk.

RiccoChicco

I had an idea about making the track as a "collaborative" WIP. For example, someone could work on trees, another on road signs, etc). I was also thinking about packing everything every week to provide an new build for everyone. Of course it will still takes a lot of time, but starting from a not perfect road with only moutains next to it could finish in a great project.

Of course all of this is hard to organise, to find enough interested modders, without knowing if the game handle it. I'll build only the road once I've got the licence to start testing ingame. I really hope to start soon  :)

Hawk

Quote from: RiccoChicco on August 21, 2015, 04:15:23 PM
I had an idea about making the track as a "collaborative" WIP. For example, someone could work on trees, another on road signs, etc). I was also thinking about packing everything every week to provide an new build for everyone. Of course it will still takes a lot of time, but starting from a not perfect road with only moutains next to it could finish in a great project.

Of course all of this is hard to organise, to find enough interested modders, without knowing if the game handle it. I'll build only the road once I've got the licence to start testing ingame. I really hope to start soon  :)

Well I guess one way to test GPB to see if it can handle the amount of objects required, would be to estimate(approximately) how many different(unique) objects would be in the IOM TT scene, then create a single test object with a decent amount of vertices and then duplicate that model by that estimated number of objects required in the scene; then take those models with their texture maps and build the GPB track file and test it with a full grid of riders(24) and see if GPB runs okay with a decent frame rate.

But I certainly think testing to see if GPB can handle such a large scene and large number of objects in the scene is viable before any start on the actual project begins.

I know for sure GPB can handle a 40 mile track surface model with no problems because I've done that test myself, but that was just an oval track surface with no terrain or additional objects at all. So whether it can handle a full blown IOM TT circuit with it's terrain and additional object models? I just don't know.  :-\

Hawk.

matty0l215

August 21, 2015, 11:16:41 PM #8 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:19:10 PM by matty0l215
Brandon has just realesed a new video and it shows how some of the texturing works, but more intrestingly is that the program can export .fbx files. So useful for you lot using maya :)

https://www.youtube.com/v/4yzOwd96gr0

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on August 21, 2015, 11:16:41 PM
Brandon has just released a new video and it shows how some of the texturing works, but more interestingly is that the program can export .fbx files. So useful for you lot using Maya :)

Yes indeed! That is a MASSIVE plus!!  ;D

What we need is for Piboso to fix the FBX2EDF converter for GPB too. Piboso? ;D

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

All Steam-gifts gratefully received.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 22, 2015, 11:32:25 AM
All Steam-gifts gratefully received.

Hahaha!  ;D

+1 on that one..... I've never received a steam gift - Ever.  :'( :'(

Hawk.

matty0l215

Napalm Nick

September 12, 2015, 09:48:02 PM #13 Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:09:19 PM by Napalm Nick
Ohhhhh nice!

So you have Bobs new Track Builder (not our Bob)and you are busy crafting a 3D model of our BoBs appendage?

Rock on Matt!
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

matty0l215

Just tried rendering That Island  ;) ;) and my pc is having a fit!