• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

GPBikes Owners Club | Crafty Crofty | Daily Races |

Started by Napalm Nick, August 25, 2015, 11:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackheart

Tonight I want to try the Aprilia in Croft ... I hope there are people for some races  ;D

Hawk

Haha..... If you guys like the bumps in the track surface you'd better let me know were the bumps are that are giving you so much fun because I'm going to have to do a total track surface rebuild and I'll need to know were the bumps are that you like so I can put them back into the new surface.  ;)

Hawk.

Blackheart

Personally with the FZ6 I liked the surface, but maybe with the racing bikes the bumps become bothersome  ???

Napalm Nick

If you will have to do a total track surface rebuild just to cure a bump I say just leave it as it is it wouldn't be worth the effort! Could lose more of its charm than that gained.

Or is there another reason?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

CapeDoctor

hope this works - my first youtube upload ever, lol -
i'd like some thoughts on this insane behavior which i have suffered from several times, it's just not realistic at all, imo...
https://youtu.be/NOOqeKtJmxs

first ran it in real time, then in slo-mo for it to be seen easier. now, admittedly, i am slightly late into the first corner, and hence i have to throw the bike back for the next corner much quicker than i'd like, but nevertheless, it's simply impossible for this to happen, in my experience. any thoughts?

Napalm Nick

August 26, 2015, 09:10:07 AM #20 Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:16:37 AM by Napalm Nick
With the stopping power of this bike (Carbon front) if you are on the brakes while banked some of that power is translated to lateral forces but as you switch and come upright, those forces align with the bike with the normal tendancy for the rear to lift. The bikes trajectory at that time causes the back end to come round.

The forces are correct, but a real situation would cause natural body/brake compensations so crazy behaviour would never be seen like this.

U must identify those natural compensations and apply them. Not an easy task young Jedi.

For a start, try to lessen the rear lift by
1. Applying brake smoother or
2. Go to steel brake or
3. Reduce brake piston pressure
4. Raise front preload to raise the front of the bike and lower rear preload to lower rear (this works nice and is usually my first port of call).
5. ummm....brake earlier and avoid such situations!  ;D

In conclusion: Yes I agree it is unrealistic but there is good reason. Harness your subconscious compensations.
Edit
PS; If you look carefully it looks like you lose the front during the weight switch. I see this too sometimes and links with other phenomenons with the virtual rider weight shift that I have discussed with H quite recently!
So a mix of good and bad
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

CapeDoctor

August 26, 2015, 09:17:38 AM #21 Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:19:28 AM by CapeDoctor
thanks Nick, i'll try some of your suggestions  ;D
9 out of 10 times (okay, maybe 8 out of 10, lol) i am flying through that chicane no problem, but in those case i braked earlier and turned in earlier, making the whole experience that much easier, lol
so the thing with this sim seems to be - get it right, or weird shit might happen.  ;D

edit - just a thought here - it's almost as if gravity needs to be better modelled in the sim, lol

Napalm Nick

I like that saying a lot. 8)

BTW I edited my post above a bit ref the front end

teeds

As said the only problem bump I can think of is turn 6, the right hander of the Jim Clarke Esses, had me off lots on both bikes so far but I'm learning to ride around it. Other than that it's fine.

@capedoctor, your front wheel tucks just as you start changing direction and as soon as it grips again it throws you off, the reaction is a bit extreme but I get the same. Jester found a setup from Spa for this bike that stabilises it lots but reduces the turn speed, worth a try. I can't find it right now but I'll link it if I do.

Napalm Nick

Quote from: CapeDoctor on August 26, 2015, 09:17:38 AM
edit - just a thought here - it's almost as if gravity needs to be better modelled in the sim, lol

I don't think there is any problem suggesting this as an idea at all. All good sims have to start with natural earth forces, right?

teeds

Here it is, setup shown in video from Blackheart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbQHcZWQLzc I adjusted the rake and swing-arm length back to stock to speed the steering back up, but it grips well and worth a try.

CapeDoctor

Hawk

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 26, 2015, 08:44:27 AM
If you will have to do a total track surface rebuild just to cure a bump I say just leave it as it is it wouldn't be worth the effort! Could lose more of its charm than that gained.

Or is there another reason?

Well.... In my opinion, just smoothing out problem track surface mesh doesn't work properly, and patching bits of track surface into old crappy mesh can create problems, so it's easier for me to just rebuild the whole track surface.  ;)

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

OK mate cool you know what's best. Put some little bumps/ripples on the straight bits so it still feels like a real weather-beaten UK track tho ;D nothing worse than a clinical track surface IMO.

Hawk

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 26, 2015, 01:00:56 PM
OK mate cool you know what's best. Put some little bumps/ripples on the straight bits so it still feels like a real weather-beaten UK track tho ;D nothing worse than a clinical track surface IMO.

Lol! Okay.  ;D
We'll have to do test releases with the ripples(probably mean undulations?) otherwise could end up with too much, and they want to be sort of a random pattern of both undulations/bumps?

The Plan: I'll put a random pattern of the undulations and bumps, just on the straights, and I'll release a test version; when you guys are happy with it I'll release a final full super sample/lighting and shadow version - Does that sound good?  :)

Hawk.