• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:37:06 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Bikes airborne....

Started by CapeDoctor, August 28, 2015, 11:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeDoctor

lol, so i'm still trying new tracks out, and still there's quite a few i haven't raced yet, as i tend to stick to one until i have a good handle on it.
having recently watched the Cadwell Park round of the BSB champs, it got me thinking as to what tracks we have for GPB that have any jumps that will let a bike get airborne.
so far it's only Cadwell, and then one on the NW200 circuit that i've found. are there any others?
and while on the subject of Brit tracks, i'm very surprised that Thruxton isn't among those we have.....considering the strong Brit presence here, i'd have thought it'd be a given..  ;D
are there any plans for it?

matty0l215

Quote from: CapeDoctor on August 28, 2015, 11:35:23 AM
lol, so i'm still trying new tracks out, and still there's quite a few i haven't raced yet, as i tend to stick to one until i have a good handle on it.
having recently watched the Cadwell Park round of the BSB champs, it got me thinking as to what tracks we have for GPB that have any jumps that will let a bike get airborne.
so far it's only Cadwell, and then one on the NW200 circuit that i've found. are there any others?
and while on the subject of Brit tracks, i'm very surprised that Thruxton isn't among those we have.....considering the strong Brit presence here, i'd have thought it'd be a given..  ;D
are there any plans for it?

The ulster gp track has a couple of points where you can get airborn but in air physics aren't quite there yet so i would suggest avoiding where possible :)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

CapeDoctor

ah yes, i know of those - freaking crazy, as the bike just does an instant backflip instead of just behaving like a real bike that actually weighs something.  :o

h106frp

the backflip is bike dependent - default 125 and 990 are OK, the SS600's you need to roll off the throttle a bit, back straight at Donnington national is my favorite for a bit of air  ;D

CapeDoctor

now you mention it, it was a GSXR600 i used on Ulster circuit, that did this. nothing worse than having to back off the throttle on what is essentially a straight, lol.
i've only tried the 600 and the Aprilia 250 at Ulster, time i tried a bigger cc there, to see how it handles the jump sections.
but, that air you mention at Donington simply shouldn't happen - i have never ever seen any bike even lift the front wheel on that section.
the 600's also do an instant 360 backflip there, flatout in top gear - it simply shouldn't happen.  :(

h106frp

I agree it should not be there, but it is a nice small jump and very predictable on the right bike. These sort of small jumps and bumps that lift the front would really make a road circuit come to life. Watching IOM TT on board footage it seems a constant battle to keep the front of the bike settled at speed 8)

CapeDoctor

don't get me wrong, mate - i also prefer having a few bumps on a circuit - they add to the character, and it's a little more realistic than a pristine circuit.
i do however, draw the line at 'bumps' that cause bikes to crash instantly, as that would never really happen/be allowed on a real circuit.
a few wobbles, a bit of a shake, sure, no problem - but instant backflip and death to the virtual rider? not right at all...
i guess the problem here is more with the individual bike physics than the actual bump/s.
i'll have to test on a few more bikes to get a better feel for it, though - seems i'm in the habit of choosing the 'light' bikes that suffer from these problems.  :D

Hawk

If I'm not mistaken(Maybe someone who's been to Donington on a regular basis lately can confirm or deny), but I believe the dip on the Donington GPB track is a lot more severe than in real life? This is probably the cause of bikes wanting to flip over backwards in GPB even in top gear over that dip in the main straight under the Dunlop Bridge.  :)

Hawk.

CapeDoctor

this is what i'm talking about, Hawk - i'm not a native Briton, but i was at Donington in 2002 for the GP (fond memories of that, all access VIP ticket, met quite a few of the big guns  8)) and also watched hundreds of televised races, and although there is a slight bump, i've never seen it cause any big issues, not even lifting the front wheel much, if at all, in all the different classes i've seen race there. it's hugely overstated in the GPB track, although as mentioned earlier, it's probably down to specific bike physics issues.
now i'd rather have bumpy tracks than smooth ones, but the bumps should never be such that they cause such crazy instant backflip behaviour.
bumps should make things tricky, but not deadly, lol

Napalm Nick

This is what happens when a flight-simmer changes to a bike-simmer hehe.

Always with the flying  :D.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 28, 2015, 04:42:22 PM
This is what happens when a flight-simmer changes to a bike-simmer hehe.

Always with the flying  :D.

LOL!!  ;D ;D

@Doc: I agree with you totally about the bumps in a track.  ;)

I may have a look at Donington some time, but to be honest I think that track needs rebuilding as a whole project because for me the track surface itself looks way too narrow than real life Donington from what I remember? What do you think?

Hawk.

matty0l215

Quote from: Hawk UK on August 28, 2015, 04:47:44 PM

I may have a look at Donington some time, but to be honest I think that track needs rebuilding as a whole project because for me the track surface itself looks way too narrow than real life Donington from what I remember? What do you think?

Hawk.

Please and Thankyou ;D
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on August 28, 2015, 04:49:10 PM
Quote from: Hawk UK on August 28, 2015, 04:47:44 PM

Hawk.

Please and Thankyou ;D

Sorry Matty... Too busy right now with other things to take Donington on right now.... I really shouldn't have taken on Croft like I did, I've just too much work to do to be side tracking, although it's a great sidetrack to be working on. Hehe.   ;D

But I will take a look at some stage in the future. Keep reminding me! Lol  ;D

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

August 28, 2015, 06:36:02 PM #14 Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:41:03 PM by h106frp
Good video! actually does seem quite a rippled track, guess that's due to (bankrupt) finances and truck racing  ;)

Odd without the Dunlop footbridge, they should have left it  :( The bump at the bridge is there, but not to the scale of the track model. The model is probably a bit narrow in places but the flowing nature of the circuit still makes it a lot of fun to ride. The worst part of the model is  between Old hairpin and Starkeys, if you hit this wrong it causes violent bar oscillations.

One thing i notice with all the bikes is once you get the bars flapping (which does not take much) it is very difficult to get the oscillations to stop, it seems very underdamped.

My comment earlier was more to the fact that although the SS600 reacts really badly it should not cause the bike to rotate when the default 125 and 990 both manage a 'proper' jump at this point. I can only imagine this is due to very unusual CofG relative to the swingarm pivot but i am only guessing.

Once again we see how accurately GPB simulates real life situations  ;) No reset from this one  :)