• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

GP Bikes beta7b

Started by PiBoSo, October 29, 2015, 11:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackheart

October 30, 2015, 08:45:48 AM #45 Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:49:00 AM by Blackheart
Quote from: CapeDoctor on October 30, 2015, 08:44:30 AM
Quote from: h106frp on October 30, 2015, 07:33:20 AM

Without xinput an xbox 'style' controller reports both triggers to be on a single joystick axis (one trigger is the positive values and the other trigger is the negative values of a single axis) and this means without it you cannot assign them to 2 different control functions i.e. brake and throttle in GPB.

ok thanks - so, just to be 100% clear,  - with my Logitech gamepad controller, which currently has throttle and brake assigned to the triggers, i don't need this plugin, then?

The triggers are axis  ;D

Easy test: if u can make a burnout, so u dont need this plugin.

HornetMaX

Quote from: CapeDoctor on October 30, 2015, 04:29:01 AM
i just don't quite get what is meant by having two axis on a trigger. i use left trigger for throttle, right for front brake, and can't quite get my head around how these would work with two axis.
so my question, i guess, is do i even need this, and if so, what am i supposed to be able to do with it?
signed
technically challenged dude  8)
Simplified answer (for TC dudes :) ): without xinput, left trigger outputs 0..+1, right trigger outputs 0..+1 but what GPB sees is the difference of the two (left-right) as they are combined into a single axis. So pressing only left ends up in a +1 seen by GPB, only right in a -1 and pressing both in a 0 (zero). With xinput each trigger has his own axis, so you can open throttle and bake at the same time.

So it's not absolutely needed, but I'd recommend to use the xinput plugin. You'll have to reassign all the functions (throttle, lean, etc).

Respawn: still fan of the "respawn where the bike stops". Everything else is sub-par to me.

MaX.

h106frp

The new situation with not being able to re-spawn in the path of oncoming riders is a big improvement.

Without being able to look around to see where other bikes are it does become a bit of a random button pressing activity though.

BozoCRO

Quote from: HornetMaX on October 30, 2015, 08:59:17 AM
Quote from: CapeDoctor on October 30, 2015, 04:29:01 AM
i just don't quite get what is meant by having two axis on a trigger. i use left trigger for throttle, right for front brake, and can't quite get my head around how these would work with two axis.
so my question, i guess, is do i even need this, and if so, what am i supposed to be able to do with it?
signed
technically challenged dude  8)
Simplified answer (for TC dudes :) ): without xinput, left trigger outputs 0..+1, right trigger outputs 0..+1 but what GPB sees is the difference of the two (left-right) as they are combined into a single axis. So pressing only left ends up in a +1 seen by GPB, only right in a -1 and pressing both in a 0 (zero). With xinput each trigger has his own axis, so you can open throttle and bake at the same time.

So it's not absolutely needed, but I'd recommend to use the xinput plugin. You'll have to reassign all the functions (throttle, lean, etc).

Respawn: still fan of the "respawn where the bike stops". Everything else is sub-par to me.

MaX.

Had no idea about this plugin, thanks Max!

Regarding respawn, I have to agree with you. It would be so much more realistic, not to mention the absence of frustration caused by a bike respawning right in front of you at 200+ kph.
Theres one more thing we are missing in GPbikes, the strategy of racing. I belive this was neglected due to the lack of consistency we are all experiencing (falling all the time). Riding 100% all the time is totally unrealistic. The tyres shouldnt be able to take it (nobody uses hard tyres), maybe even problems with fuel consumption could happen.
What about introducing a penalty system into the game? For example you would lose 10% engine power every time you fall. It would force us to ride more carefully.

Napalm Nick

October 30, 2015, 09:55:10 AM #49 Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:05:24 PM by Napalm Nick
Not for me unless we are 100% sure the physics is fixed. After that fine!  :)

Edit: we have had to use the hard tyres in a few club races recently because we tended towards longer races (at certain tracks - Aragon was one I think).
Also we had to reduce laps because some people had setups that would guzzle the fuel. I was against this to try and make people find alternative setups/riding styles to get to the end, but it was all lost in translation across the players so laps were cut  >:(
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

C21

QuoteNot for me unless we are 100% sure the physics is fixed. After that fine!
+1
In the worst case i would have no engine after 5 laps  ;D
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

Davide74

Ok, I played with the graphical improvements that put GPbikes.ini friend Juju, I've delete and seems to already solved the problems of the cores.

sorry for my bad english..

HornetMaX

Quote from: Davide74 on October 30, 2015, 11:58:33 AM
Ok, I played with the graphical improvements that put GPbikes.ini friend Juju, I've delete and seems to already solved the problems of the cores.
Can you post what you had in your gpbikes.ini  before and what you have now ?

MaX.

Davide74

Quote from: HornetMaX on October 30, 2015, 12:00:06 PM
Quote from: Davide74 on October 30, 2015, 11:58:33 AM
Can you post what you had in your gpbikes.ini  before and what you have now ?

MaX.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136257968@N06/22602588125/sizes/h/

HornetMaX

There was something strange in your old .ini as there were 4 [core] sections and some parameters repeated multiple times. Not sure if this is an issue or not though.
Also, the last line of the old file has a dot ("15000000."), which is bad.

You should keep only the last [core] section (without the dot ".").

If it is confirmed that can cause frequent crashes, then that's some interesting info for Piboso.

MaX.

P.S.
I always use the extra settings you had (replay size, bike_shadows, bike_reflections and texture_quality).

CapeDoctor

Davide, just looking at your before and after ini settings there, i can see what might have been the problem, and that is that you have several instances of the [core] sub-group, and i am pretty sure that you should only have one [core] sub-group, with all settings underneath it.
in your example, there are 4 of these core sub-groups, and maybe that was the problem?
just trying to make an educated guess, it's possible that it might not be the cause - but i have yet to suffer a single core crash from either b7 or b7b
here is how my ini file looks:

[GFX_DEFAULT]
x=1920
y=1080
bpp=32
fullscreen=1
refresh=0

[SOUND]
driver=0                                                    ; 0 = default
max_sounds=32
efx=1

[master]
server=master.gp-bikes.com:10500

[core]
texture_quality=1
bike_shadow=1024
bike_reflections=2048
mouse_sensitivity=50
mouse_deadzone=0.01
mouse_linearity=1
mouse_smooth=2
replay=80000000

just what MaX answered at the time i sent this, lol ;)

Napalm Nick

But Davides BEFORE is the default one ? If so then everyones is wrong. Why is yours different Cape?

Something is not adding up Watson
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Davide74

True, I did not realize that was poorly copied!

http://forum.motonline-france.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1259

Thanks for the answers ;)

CapeDoctor

mine isn't totally default, sorry for any confusion - i edited the resolution entries and entered the [core] entries copied from my b6 ini file. other than that, i changed nothing else.
my point was really more about the multiple [core] groups from Davide's pic, which i've never seen before, and most likely is a reason for his issues.
hope that clears it up a bit.....from my side, anyway ;)

so, Davide, are you saying now with that ini file you no longer have a core crash, or were you just referring to the actual picture of the ini file?