• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2019, 12:59:34 am

GP Bikes bike skinning tutorial

Started by matty0l215, August 01, 2014, 11:43:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on May 28, 2016, 02:10:01 pm
@MODS

Any chance of getting this Pinned or would you prefer it to be re-done first? (I am intending to re-do it but i haven't got the time at the moment :P)

Send WALKEN a PM, I'm sure he'd be happy to make this thread a sticky for you.  ;)

Hawk.

matty0l215

Quote from: Hawk on May 28, 2016, 03:48:13 pm
@MODS

Any chance of getting this Pinned or would you prefer it to be re-done first? (I am intending to re-do it but i haven't got the time at the moment :P)

Send WALKEN a PM, I'm sure he'd be happy to make this thread a sticky for you.  ;)

Hawk.

I did a while ago but nothing happened  :-[ :P

I'll try again :D

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on May 28, 2016, 06:01:44 pm
Quote from: Hawk on May 28, 2016, 03:48:13 pm
@MODS

Hawk.

I did a while ago but nothing happened  :-[ :P

I'll try again :D

I must admit I haven't seen WALKEN in a while now....  :-\

You could also try Janau as he is a forum moderator too.  ;)

Hawk.

matty0l215

CapeDoctor

hi guys
i have a question concerning paints for version 11b.
maybe i'm losing it, but i'm pretty sure i always used to be able to save the tga's i edit in Photoshop as 32-bit in previous versions?
with this version, i find i can no longer use 32-bit tga's for paints, they just don't seem to show up in-sim. 24-bit seems the standard now.
i CAN save the cockpit glass tga's, and they work just fine.
am i suffering some sort of mandela effect here, having false memories of being able to use 32-bit paint tga's?
i definitely see that many of the paints don't look high-res like they used to. or, at least, as i remember they used to.....  ;D
am i missing something? maybe some new ini setting i missed? 

Blackheart

Quote from: CapeDoctor on May 30, 2017, 02:37:05 pm
hi guys
maybe i'm losing it, but i'm pretty sure i always used to be able to save the tga's i edit in Photoshop as 32-bit in previous versions?
with this version, i find i can no longer use 32-bit tga's for paints, they just don't seem to show up in-sim. 24-bit seems the standard now.
am i suffering some sort of mandela effect here, having false memories of being able to use 32-bit paint tga's?
i definitely see that many of the paints don't look high-res like they used to. or, at least, as i remember they used to.....  ;D

Just put texture quality at 1, also in the old version was the same.

tchemi

hi guys
TL;DR

Yeah, same here ! If i put 32 bit, the default paint come over it.

matty0l215

hi guys

What bike are you painting?

CapeDoctor

Quote from: Blackheart on May 30, 2017, 02:39:44 pm

Just put texture quality at 1, also in the old version was the same.

[/quote]

that's what i thought.
must be ghosts in the machine, because here is my ini entries:

[core]
replay = 128
bike_shadow = 512
bike_reflections = 1024
texture_quality = 1

and with this, i was getting simply no skin appearing when i selected 32-bit. lo and behold, now that i've just posted about it, i went back, tried again, and now it seems like the 32-bit paint is working.
go figure. guess it was just waiting for me to post before it started working.  ::)      ;D

edit: matty, just doing some paint updates for the RGV250.

Blackheart

Cape all my paints (and are many  ;D) and textures for the IMT bike mods , are 32-bit, but really dont need save it in 32 for normal use, if you found problems at 32, save it at 24, there arent lose quality (obviously if u need an alpha channel like in the visors or windshields you need 32-bit)

matty0l215

Out of interest have you deleted the Aplah channel?

Blackheart

Quote from: matty0l215 on May 30, 2017, 04:24:36 pm
Out of interest have you deleted the Aplah channel?

You dont need save a tga without alpha channel (white) you can save it with or without, nothing change.

CapeDoctor

Blacky, thanks, the issue is definitely more apparent on some bikes than others.
for normal riding use, i don't need it, but for taking screenshots, movie editing and trying to do artsy type stuff, it can actually make quite a big difference.

the reason i asked, as i said, is that i have always been saving my paint tga's in 32 bit in past versions. this is the first time it hasn't worked, and i had to use 24 bit.
irrelevant, no matter why it wasn't working, it seems to be working now, so i'm off to do higher-res versions of some of latest paints.

matty, no - i haven't deleted any alpha channel. only used the alpha for the fairing visor tga's, so far.

Blackheart

May 30, 2017, 05:55:00 pm #28 Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:00:28 pm by Blackheart
Quote from: CapeDoctor on May 30, 2017, 04:37:08 pm
...but for taking screenshots, movie editing and trying to do artsy type stuff, it can actually make quite a big difference.

Are u sure?  ???

24 bit/pixel

32 bit/pixel

P.S. I saved the chassis texture at 24 and 32 bit, the images are in .png.

CapeDoctor

well, those look the same to me, but i have definitely seen some bikes with very low-res looking paints, compared to earlier versions.