• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Close Quarter Engine Sound Drowning

Started by Hawk_UK, December 19, 2013, 11:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stout Johnson

December 21, 2013, 01:53:15 AM #15 Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:58:04 AM by Stout Johnson
Quote from: Hawk_UK on December 20, 2013, 10:42:31 PM
Max, I do have track experience, and I can tell you now that the sound of another bike riding near you is there(You can hear other bikes close or next to you), but it is at a much lower tone than your own engine revs. In other words you should always be able to hear your own engine at all times no matter how close another bike is to you, and in GP Bikes you cannot hear your own engine revs when another bike is next to you. This is wrong in a big way and needs making a high priority to be sorted out, but not as high a priority as the core.exe problem of course :)

well put Hawk.... I have tried to promote this issue since the old forum - not much changed yet unfortunately  :-\

another reason for drastically being able to distinguish your engine from other bike's engine is motor vibrations that are being transfered via the bike frame into your arms and butt... AND the fact that sound pressure falls off to half with every duplication of the distance --> e.g. distance of my engine/exhaust from my ear: 0,5m VERSUS distance of another rider's bike from me:2m -->  so sound pressure is at 1/4... so one would have the feeling that the noise of the other bike is only 0.25x of one's own bike and therefore clearly distinguishable  ;)

so a way of either adjusting other sound sources or implementing a slider would be very helpful and indeed be more realistic...
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Hawk

Quote from: Stout Johnson on December 21, 2013, 01:53:15 AM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on December 20, 2013, 10:42:31 PM
Max, I do have track experience, and I can tell you now that the sound of another bike riding near you is there(You can hear other bikes close or next to you), but it is at a much lower tone than your own engine revs. In other words you should always be able to hear your own engine at all times no matter how close another bike is to you, and in GP Bikes you cannot hear your own engine revs when another bike is next to you. This is wrong in a big way and needs making a high priority to be sorted out, but not as high a priority as the core.exe problem of course :)

well put Hawk.... I have tried to promote this issue since the old forum - not much changed yet unfortunately  :-\

another reason for drastically being able to distinguish your engine from other bike's engine is motor vibrations that are being transfered via the bike frame into your arms and butt... AND the fact that sound pressure falls off to half with every duplication of the distance --> e.g. distance of my engine/exhaust from my ear: 0,5m VERSUS distance of another rider's bike from me:2m -->  so sound pressure is at 1/4... so one would have the feeling that the noise of the other bike is only 0.25x of one's own bike and therefore clearly distinguishable  ;)

so a way of either adjusting other sound sources or implementing a slider would be very helpful and indeed be more realistic...

Hi Stout!

Thank you for your support on this subject... You obviously fully understand the realities of how important onboard and ambient engine sound and vibration is to the rider in order to race a bike to the best of a riders ability. It's good to know that there are others who understand the importance of this problem, and support a well intentioned change in the name of realism for GP Bikes.

Thanks Stout! ;D

HornetMaX

Well Stout it depends ... if we assume that the sound originates mostly at the exhaust outlet, sometimes the exhaust of the other bike is closer to your ears than your own exhaust. When you are side by side, the other bike's exhaust is not much farther away than your own one.

Sound decay with distance is implemented in GPB for sure, so there must be something wrong somewhere, especially when people can hear other bikes on the other side of the track more than their own bike.

And I do agree that vibrations help in real life, but it's not because we have no vibration in GPB that we should alter other stuff.

That said, there's surely something to look into concerning that sound issue.

MaX.

nuovaic

With your head down, you could be as close as 300mm from the air intake. Induction noise on race bikes can be bloody loud!
I hope this gets sorted soon, it is top of the pile in my opinion, along with the core problem of course.

HornetMaX

Thanks Nouvaic, you are right. This may be an explanation.

Guess we are in the hands of our master now :)

MaX.

Stout Johnson

December 22, 2013, 08:12:50 PM #20 Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:16:12 PM by Stout Johnson
Quote from: Hawk_UK on December 21, 2013, 09:03:22 AM
Hi Stout!
Thank you for your support on this subject... You obviously fully understand the realities of how important onboard and ambient engine sound and vibration is to the rider in order to race a bike to the best of a riders ability. It's good to know that there are others who understand the importance of this problem, and support a well intentioned change in the name of realism for GP Bikes.

Thanks Stout! ;D
:) same here Hawk!!! I am also very relieved to see others caring about this subject

Quote from: HornetMaX on December 21, 2013, 02:16:31 PM
Well Stout it depends ... if we assume that the sound originates mostly at the exhaust outlet, sometimes the exhaust of the other bike is closer to your ears than your own exhaust. When you are side by side, the other bike's exhaust is not much farther away than your own one. that might be an argument for introducing a other's bike engine sound slider
100% correct... the physical relations of sound I stated do imply that if you run side by side or very close behind another one's bike the other bike could be heard even louder than one's own bike ... and I want it to be resembled in the game as it is 100% like that. But that is only true for those very close situations, as stated in my little example - the conception of sound is reduced very much with growing distance and you should be able to distinguish between your engine and other bike's engines as soon as there is a bit of distance.... and that is not resembled right now in GPB.... just try it. a bike that is clearly ahead (and even more so if behind you, as sound will only be partially transported forward at high speeds) will be as loud as yours for quite some distance...

Quote from: HornetMaX on December 21, 2013, 02:16:31 PM
And I do agree that vibrations help in real life, but it's not because we have no vibration in GPB that we should alter other stuff.
I think I agree here.... although I wouldn't judge anyone who would want to tone down other bike's sounds even more than realistic, because he (maybe) would argue that he hasn't really a feeling for his bike when running wheel to wheel with others (cause then other's bike is as loud or even louder than one's own bike).... people that are used to run Ducati's might argue that because due to the vibrations they might have a feeling for own bike engine rev's even if they dont hear it ;)  that would be an argument for introducing an other's bike engine sound slider
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------