• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

On board view lighting effects

Started by h106frp, September 25, 2015, 04:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

It would be nice if the on board helmet view could simulate the effects of sunlight hitting the visor, you see similar effects for canopy glare in flight sims.

Generally it would be nice if sunlight glare could be simulated better throughout the sim, when you turn into the sun, the track and on bike lighting effect never really changes and this always seems a little bit strange. Does the sun position actually have any effect on the lighting model?

On the default 990 it is noticeable that the instruments have no lens glass and you get no reflection effects at all. I remember GP500 having quite an effective lighting effect for the on bike view fairing screen and instruments so it must be quite a low overhead effect to create.

Thanks

Hawk

As far as I know GPB has not got any real-time lighting effects at all.

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk UK on September 25, 2015, 05:54:47 PM
Hmmm that sounds not true to me. It has no bloom, no lens flare etc, but saying no lighting effect at all seems quite a stretch. Get under the bridge at suzuka :)

Maybe the cockpit needs more attention from the modders (materials, shaders etc).

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on September 25, 2015, 08:30:16 PM
Quote from: Hawk UK on September 25, 2015, 05:54:47 PM
Hmmm that sounds not true to me. It has no bloom, no lens flare etc, but saying no lighting effect at all seems quite a stretch. Get under the bridge at suzuka :)

Maybe the cockpit needs more attention from the modders (materials, shaders etc).

MaX.

I did say no real-time lighting effects.  :)

I mean, do we see shadows moving as the sun crosses the sky? I don't think so. Any shadows are pre-calculated and stored with the .map file. Do we have HDR? No. I think you'll find that any lighting is very very basic indeed.
If we had a good lighting system then the shadows and any lighting would not need pre-calculating, they'd be rendered in real time in reference to the height, angle and brightness of the sun, including whatever it's shining through and from like clouds and reflections etc, etc.
I believe there is still a lot of work to be done in this area if Piboso is intending to implement real-time lighting at all?  But it certainly would add greatly to the immersion factor of the visuals to do so. :)

If I'm wrong then I'd be gob-smacked looking at the lighting and effects we have in GPB at this time.  :P

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk UK on September 25, 2015, 09:09:43 PM
I did say no real-time lighting effects.  :)

I mean, do we see shadows moving as the sun crosses the sky? I don't think so. Any shadows are pre-calculated and stored with the .map file. Do we have HDR? No. I think you'll find that any lighting is very very basic indeed.
If we had a good lighting system then the shadows and any lighting would not need pre-calculating, they'd be rendered in real time in reference to the height, angle and brightness of the sun, including whatever it's shining through and from like clouds and reflections etc, etc.
I believe there is still a lot of work to be done in this area if Piboso is intending to implement real-time lighting at all?  But it certainly would add greatly to the immersion factor of the visuals to do so. :)

If I'm wrong then I'd be gob-smacked looking at the lighting and effects we have in GPB at this time.  :P
There are shadows and I don't think they are precalculated as in each track you can specify the sun position in the sky ....

No HDR, true. Not sure we need it though.

But yes, it's not on par with "modern" games.

MaX.

h106frp

I think this clip indicates how lighting effects the scene. Just some random track footage on a day with a sky similar to that depicted in many GPB tracks but during the laps you can see how the cockpit and track lighting changes.

Wish this footage and sounds was GPB first person  ;)

A bit long but an interesting reference - try the section 3 minutes onward

https://www.youtube.com/v/zdmPcZ6rxSs

HornetMaX

Bit off topic, but interesting to notice how little you hear the other bikes, no matter if they are in front or behind you (disclaimer: just tried it with a 2$ headset so I may want to do it again with something beter).

MaX.

h106frp

It is unusual to get such good audio from an on-board view. Good indication of how significant wind noise becomes at higher speeds with engine noise dominant at lower speeds.

I think many of these dynamic light and sound effects are missing from GPB at the moment. You would think that it would not take too much effort to add them in. The game must compute the bike shadow - you would expect this could be used to add a bit of lighting effect to the cockpit as well especially when the rider shadow would project onto the front of the bike. I added it to the suggestions before, but the change in wind and engine noise volume balance as the rider tucks in or sticks his head above the fairing would be great in first person view as well and would not take much effort.

Thinking about it i am not sure i have observed the bike shadow rotating fully in front of the bike - maybe someone can edit a track to have the sun low in the sky for some long shadows  8)

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on October 08, 2015, 07:13:52 AM
It is unusual to get such good audio from an on-board view. Good indication of how significant wind noise becomes at higher speeds with engine noise dominant at lower speeds.
But keep in mind that the sound you hear in that video comes from a mic: it may not be representative of what you hear (under a helmet and with ear plugs).
Depending on where the mic was, how much wind protection it had (e.g. foam) etc, the sound can change a lot.

Quote from: h106frp on October 08, 2015, 07:13:52 AMThinking about it i am not sure i have observed the bike shadow rotating fully in front of the bike - maybe someone can edit a track to have the sun low in the sky for some long shadows  8)
That's easy to do: in one of the .ini / .cfg file of each track there's a vector indicating the sun "position". Don't have a track here at office, but it's pretty easy to find.

You can play with it (but remind to put back the original values to avoid "data mismatch" troubles).

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Watching my lap attempt at Jerez, one of the things that struck me was the movement of the lighting around the cockpit - really noticeable on the hairpins. Not bad at all when I expected it to be non-existent.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

Quote from: Napalm Nick on October 08, 2015, 08:46:29 AM
Watching my lap attempt at Jerez, one of the things that struck me was the movement of the lighting around the cockpit - really noticeable on the hairpins. Not bad at all when I expected it to be non-existent.

Can you post an example, i really do not notice any significant lighting effect in game

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

October 08, 2015, 04:14:47 PM #12 Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:32:37 PM by h106frp
Messed with the sun 'Z' value to get a long shadow (so the bike shadow is dynamic) and the issue seems to be that the rider shadow does not project onto the cockpit even though it projects onto the track - hence the weird lighting situation. i.e. with the sun behind the rider the cockpit is  fully lit when it should be a mix of heavy shadow and brightly lit areas as the rider shadow passes over the cockpit. I think this is what has made the lighting seem unnatural.

The cockpit lighting is 'dynamic' though and does respond to lighting position by varying the brightness, the effect is quite 'soft'.

Does the cockpit model have an environment map that can be edited easily ? If the cockpit glazed areas responded more strongly at least the transition of light across the front of the bike be more convincing.

You can see the strong track shadow but the light is passing through the transparent rider straight onto the brightly lit cockpit when it should be in strong shadow.