• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:19:27 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Sprint Car physics

Started by GasFactoryRacing, December 13, 2015, 05:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GasFactoryRacing

Great job so far! I have a few weeks for you I know a couple will come with time ( damage modeling and sounds). But the big thing that is off is the way the winged sprints react to the downforce, the cars are rolling over the right rear tire, for the wingless cars this is fine. The winged cars however squat on the left rear at speed to keep the car planted to the track. This roll to the right is causing unusual drifting sideways on corner exit and at times flipping over on entry.
Team_GFR

GasFactoryRacing

....With some tweaks on the set up, we were able to get the car to work somewhat properly.
Team_GFR

PiBoSo

Quote from: GasFactoryRacing on December 13, 2015, 09:13:51 PM
....With some tweaks on the set up, we were able to get the car to work somewhat properly.

Could you please post the tweaks?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

GasFactoryRacing

96/105" stagger
brake balance- 65%

front wing-4
rear wing- 3

Weight Ballast:
Foreward: -29.5
Right: -11.8

Left Front:
214 spring
bump- 4
rebound- 6

Right Front:
228 spring
bump- 5
rebound- 5

Left Rear:
199 Spring
bump- 3
rebound- 8

Right Rear:
242 spring
bump- 5
rebound- 5

*all preloads are 0.00, all bump stops 1.18

Gearing:
Final Drive 9/41
Gears 19/24

The car does have a tendency to kick up the right front on entry and will wheelstand on exit if your throttle control isn't in check.

This is what we have came up with so far, still working on the fine tuning but this is a good start for everyone.
Team_GFR

Phathry25

FWIW I did some digging and here's my conclusions.

More steering lock and ratio options would be nice.  I'm at 55 now and it feels nice, and looks about right from what I can gather in google images.  Also stiffer springs really help.  I don't know what guys are actually using on their cars, but our current 300in/lb max seems pretty low.  I have no real world experience, but if they make an 1100lb/in bar shouldn't we have the option in game?  The car was a lot less erratic when I upped the max to even 500in/lb springs.

I was getting a lot of core crashes when weight would transfer to the left rear if I exited the corner erratically.  Obviously I never got a chance to see, but it was almost like the LR tire was going through the track and causing a crash, or maybe the suspension load just got too great and caused it to crash.  It's pretty repeatable for myself, I can try to live capture one if you think it would help.

I'm glad I sat down and got to know these cars a little better tonight, I can definitely see the light now.  Keep up the good work!

Torque

The suspension seems way too soft. This is causing the car to be unstable when the suspension is loaded/unloaded. When I made the suspension as stiff as I could and also raised the LR bump stop to limit how far the car could lean on the LR it increased the stabilty dramatically and we were actually able to race side by side and turn consistent laps.

Another problem we noticed is that the car shuts off prematurely when the angle of the slide is too much. I have seen non wing sprints get so sideways getting into the corner that it looks like they are backing it in. I felt there were alot of times that the car shut off when it was less than realistically sideways.

One suggestion I would like to make is the ability to push the car backwards. When we were racing there were many times that we had a minor accident where the cars were "hooked" together or pointing at eachother and the only way we could continue was if one of us went to the pit so there was room for the other to move forward.
Check out the Street Stock Beta! UPDATED FOR BETA 9

http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=3708.msg63094#new

Let us know what you think!

https://www.facebook.com/PerformanceVinyl/

Phathry25

I'm impressed that you are able to turn multiple laps. I'm lucky to get one before I get a core.exe crash. So frustrating.  :(

1100lb/in springs all the way around give you super grip and you wheelie down every straight. It's fun, but something must be amiss. I'd like to see what kind of lap time I can turn with it. But only making it a lap and a half before the game crashes kills my chances to even get a reading on how much quicker it is.

Torque

Quote from: Phathry25 on December 17, 2015, 04:45:41 PM
I'm impressed that you are able to turn multiple laps. I'm lucky to get one before I get a core.exe crash. So frustrating.  :(

What OS are you using and what do you have for hardware? I have played on windows 7 and 10 and rarely have problems. My friend was on vista and was experiencing alot of crashes.

The only problems I have had since upgrading to windows 10 is an occasional crash when leaving a server.
Check out the Street Stock Beta! UPDATED FOR BETA 9

http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=3708.msg63094#new

Let us know what you think!

https://www.facebook.com/PerformanceVinyl/

Phathry25

Off the top of my head...

W7, i5 @ 3.4ghz, GTX 660, 20GB RAM.