• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:48:54 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Engine Sound Stereo Issues

Started by LOOPATELI, January 05, 2016, 01:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

Great report.

Annoyingly in my latest build Gaming PC I left out the old Audigy card using the onboard motherboard 8 channel connectors instead. While I still have that Creative card, and others, I will be unable to find them for a couple of months now (all packed up somewhere in >200 boxes of stuff)

I use speakers as you know, so the worst of the problem (head direction) is not such a problem as I always hear the sound in both ears no matter what.  Spatial awareness is a problem though. Testing with that card fitted would have been really useful.  >:(

If anyone is producing these videos and needs 'the other rider' I'm happy to help.  No point me producing them as without headphones I can't identify the problems easily.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

I don't know if the Audigy will have hardware openGL, but I'm pretty confident it will give you better sound anyway.

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 11, 2016, 10:14:18 AM
I use speakers as you know, so the worst of the problem (head direction) is not such a problem as I always hear the sound in both ears no matter what.  Spatial awareness is a problem though. Testing with that card fitted would have been really useful.  >:(
You won't get good spatial awareness with 2.1 speakers. Good spatial awareness = headphones. The reason is that HRTF stuff is mostly made for headphones, because:

• Sound from one channel interacts with sound on the other channel if played on speakers, that's not the case for headphones. In principle, it is possible to "partially cancel out" this interaction, but it's a mess and requires accurate knowledge of the geometry (positioning of the speakers). Which nicely brings us to the next point,
  • The geometry is more or less known for headphones but much less so for speakers: my speakers are 40cm apart, 80cm from me. Your ones could be 2 meters apart, 1m from you.

Napalm Nick

I see what you are saying mine is a Creative 7.1 in a surround setup with real distances set manually in the software so I would hope it is a little better for handling spatial awareness than a 2.1 system (which is basically an open air set of headphones with good bass). Though in GPBikes mine seems to act in a 5.1 environment, so not sure what is happening there (mobo/game/setup)

Damn really want that card fitted now just to try it.  >:(
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 11, 2016, 10:59:02 AM
I see what you are saying mine is a Creative 7.1 in a surround setup with real distances set manually in the software so I would hope it is a little better for handling spatial awareness than a 2.1 system (which is basically an open air set of headphones with good bass). Though in GPBikes mine seems to act in a 5.1 environment, so not sure what is happening there (mobo/game/setup)

It depends: if the card has no dedicated openAL implementation (i.e. if it's using the default software one), then the 7.1 is as useless as anything else.
Slam the card in, install the drivers (good luck) and then check the sllog.txt.

Also, there's a million different Audigy cards, which one do you have ?

Napalm Nick

I am unable to find it to confirm a model, I am not opening 200 big boxes. Sod's Law says it will be in the last one I open (hey maybe I should check the last one first? :P). In two months time (maybe) I can dig them out again hehe. Off the top of my head and after googling about it looks like one of those X-fi family you have.
I have other Audigy, SoundBlaster Live! etc lesser cards. But for now they are all hibernating.