• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

create the empty bike/tracks folders during install

Started by h106frp, February 04, 2016, 09:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

It seems to give people problems getting started with GPB mods.

Could the installer create the required empty directory structures during the initial install?

Even better would be a (finished) MOD management tool  ;)

Thanks

matty0l215

The .pkz files can be unpacked as if it was a .zip/.rar/.7z etc

Once done, there will be all the necessary folders to put the bikes/tracks/paints in :)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on February 04, 2016, 09:01:07 PM
It seems to give people problems getting started with GPB mods.

Could the installer create the required empty directory structures during the initial install?

Even better would be a (finished) MOD management tool  ;)
It's not a bad idea.

Actually, is there a good reason to use .pkz files at all ? I mean, space is cheap today and using compressed file incurs a load-time penalty.

It would probably be better if the installer just expands the .pkz files: directory structure is in place and people can even get a grasp of the file content.

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on February 04, 2016, 09:20:37 PM

Once done, there will be all the necessary folders to put the bikes/tracks/paints in :)

A word of caution on that idea - If you unpack the default bike.PKZ  files and the online server your trying to connect to has not done that, then you will get a "data mismatch".  ;)

That caught me out once on beta 5 and it took myself and dibu ages of testing to try and pinpoint the "Data Mismatch" problem. That is unless Piboso has worked around that potential problem now?  :-\

Hawk.

matty0l215

Quote from: Hawk on February 04, 2016, 09:50:22 PM
Quote from: matty0l215 on February 04, 2016, 09:20:37 PM

A word of caution on that idea - If you unpack the default bike.PKZ  files and the online server your trying to connect to has not done that, then you will get a "data mismatch".  ;)

That caught me out once on beta 5 and it took myself and dibu ages of testing to try and pinpoint the "Data Mismatch" problem. That is unless Piboso has worked around that potential problem now?  :-\

Hawk.

Well i didn't know that...

Also might explain why i've had problems in the past...

Okay, maybe getting rid of the pkz files in favor of un-compressed sounds good to me ::)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

Is this confirmed ? Because it definitely shouldn't.

I know for sure that I often unpack the default bikes (keeping also the .pkz, buf it the unpacked files are there, they have priority) and I never has a problem in connecting to online serves.
I actually just connected to the motonline server with my murasama unpacked, no issues.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 04, 2016, 10:10:16 PM

Is this confirmed ? Because it definitely shouldn't.

I know for sure that I often unpack the default bikes (keeping also the .pkz, buf it the unpacked files are there, they have priority) and I never has a problem in connecting to online serves.
I actually just connected to the motonline server with my murasama unpacked, no issues.

I can only tell you the problem I had when I unpacked the default bikes and dibu had not done so on his server; that was causing a data mismatch when I was trying to connect to his server. As soon as I deleted the unpacked bike files and just kept the bike folders with their corresponding paint file folders I was able to connect okay. So the deduction was that it was that that was causing a problem...... I think if I remember rightly that Nick had the same problems too when he first started hosting online servers with riders trying to connect.

But as I stated: That problem I had was with beta 5, so it may have been sorted by now, I don't know for sure?  :-\

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on February 04, 2016, 10:17:23 PM
But as I stated: That problem I had was with beta 5, so it may have been sorted by now, I don't know for sure?  :-\
You can test it right now: connect to a server (just to be sure you can connect), then quit, unpack and reconnect. No issue for me (at least in all the betas in which physics is unencrypted).
I even tested unpacking bikes.pkz and deleting it completely.