• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Server SAVE option | now in Beta 7 | Needs a further Tweak for B9

Started by Napalm Nick, May 23, 2015, 02:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

May 23, 2015, 02:27:36 PM Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:35:16 PM by Napalm Nick
Hi PiBoSo and anyone else interested in my ramblings,

I want to use the excellent server ability to PAUSE and SAVE the qualification session for race meetings.

WHY? :

Examples: This allows the race to be restarted should the Race-start be a disaster, without having to re-qualify.
                A qualification period could happen on a Saturday and a Race on a Sunday.

WHATS WRONG WITH IT?:

It is nearly perfect!  ;D But in other ways not so  :(.     

QUANTIFY:

Qualification positions / Tyre data / Wet and Track Grooves are all saved - brilliant.

They are only saved once the players exit the server - bad.

So everyone leaves and the server admin has to shut down the server, modify 'dedicated.ini' adding in the saved File description / adding '.ini' / he also has to remove the PAUSE session option -( PAUSE to 0) and finally restart the server - a right old cuffuffle but bearable for the benefit gain (I suppose).  Meanwhile everyone has a smoke break then re-joins the server ready to go again.

There is some random '15 minute Waiting' timer occurring that expires then just continues Waiting!  ::) - Bad

POSSIBLE SOLUTION?

Just have the server SAVE the session post whatever session you set in dedicated.ini.
Don't have it Paused at all - Continue to the race event as normal, I mean everyone might get away cleanly anyway so no need to reload it with all the associated hassles, but if they don't and we want to reload it / run the race another day we can.

And there, Sir, is my case. Plainly made by a plain man. I present the facts with a beginning, middle and possible solution. I leave it in your honourable hands to respectfully consider the evidence and deliver a verdict worthy of my unworthy position.
                                                                                  :D
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

Implemented in Beta 7. 

Thanks PiBoSo.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

December 15, 2015, 01:54:36 PM #2 Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:16:22 PM by Napalm Nick
Dear @PiBoSo.

Has the new dedicated server SAVE function completely replaced the PAUSE function? 

Pause no longer seems to work (not a problem but lines I can remove and forget about in the dedi server ini).
http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=26.msg42002#msg42002 refers

Thanks.

Edit: I mean.....The Pause function still pauses the session but no files seem to be generated.

Napalm Nick

Any chance of allowing riders to join a 'resumed' server at any time rather than just in the 15 minute waiting period? In fact getting rid of this period completely might be the best idea.

While cores are still rife it means people cannot get back in to race if they core on the grid.

Thanks for your consideration.