• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 12:41:19 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Strange effect in 1P with changing FOV

Started by h106frp, March 01, 2016, 12:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

March 01, 2016, 12:54:48 AM Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:52:48 PM by h106frp
Just discovered why my rider seemed to have no movement in 1P.

The Field OF View setting impact the rider pose. With a large FOV the rider sits right back and upright and barely moves, when you narrow the FOV the viewpoint closes in behind the fairing nearer to the windshield and gauges and movement is much more pronounced and natural.

I assumed it only effected the visible area of view and not the viewing point and dynamic view changes.

Is this a bug?

Might be a better demo of 1P rider helmet view.

Top is FOV=63 degrees and bottom is max FOV. In 1P the impression is that the rider view point is much further back from the front of the bike, higher and away from the gauges as FOV increases - This view effect persists when riding giving the effect of an upright rider.

It also effects the extent of the animation when cornering, with a narrow FOV the impression is of much more 'tucked in' and  'hang off'.

I would expect my rider head position to be constant and the world to increase its FOV - seems to be a camera bug

h106frp

Well, its lonely here so i will reply to myself  ;)

Seems there is more to this FOV issue than i though and the observed effect in GPB is similar to what occurs in other sims.

Someone who took it to extremes to work out the best angle;

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1160743

Seems that we should be using very small FOV angle for best realism in 1P (although you would need headtracking to get the best of it), however it definitely gets easier to go fast with a wide FOV. Maybe max FOV should be a hardcore option for maximum realism  ;D

doubledragoncc

Never be alone my friend.

I find that as you say, for realism you need less FOV but then you NEED head movement to see the rest of the track or you become blind except for the bit of track directly in front of you. SBKX shows this big time. 1 of the 1st person views (you can not change FOV), leaves you blind in the corners unless you have head tracking you are screwed lol.

I am waiting on Edtracker to get fully sorted and will then add it as a standard part of my control systems. Working on using it for body movement too or I will use gyros to do it to leave less controls needed by the hands.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

It's no secret that with the average screen and distance, you should use a tiny FOV.

I'm not sure there's any particular issue in the two images you posted above: the FOV does not change the position of the camera, it's just the effect of the deformation (along the x axis) that tricks you in thinking the fairing is closer.

h106frp

I think i understand what is happening better now and the nulling effect that the wider FOV has on apparent rider movement. I do wonder if this is the cause of a lot of the complaints about the onboard rider position though.