• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:40:25 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Would MXBs Stability help fix GPBs front end issues?

Started by davidboda46, March 06, 2016, 01:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidboda46

I was playing around with MXB (just bought a license) when I noticed that "stability help" existed in the settings and was turned to 100. I've played previous MXB-betas and the front end issues were similar to the once we suffer from in GPB. With that in mind I set the "stability help" to Zero and suddenly I was back in front end hell. Before my discovery, I just believed that the general physics changes in Beta4 was making the bike much more stable, but now I'm of the opinion that it's mostly a high setting on the "stability help". Which leads me to the question, what does the stability help actually do physics wise? Is it a steering damper of sorts or a lean angle helper? Further more, could it be implemented in GPB or does it take away too much of the "simulator feeling"?

Could you explain Piboso? Any thoughts from the rest of the forum?

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46

"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Stout Johnson

Good thoughts there David. I do not think, Piboso implemented sth that magically helps to keep to bike upright. That would be bad. My guess would be, that it is more like a filter for the virtual rider which makes him not react to every little change in circumstances. That's what I thought would be a helpful twist to the VR for a long time. From my understanding the VR in GPB (or with 0% helper in MXB) reacts perfectly (like 0s reaction time) which sometimes results in nervous behaviour and maybe even front losses if already at critical lean angles.
I suspect he just filtered the input for the VR, which results in the VR being less nervous and therefore more stability. I am not sure if I am correct with my guess... but if I should be, then imo it would resemble a more realistic rider anyway, because a real rider also does not have a reaction time of zero.

I think Piboso might not be determined to implement it in GPB, but if it makes the VR more realistic it would a no-brainer imo. Riding on tarmac without any jumps etc makes it less needed, but there are situations in GPB where the VR reacts very erratic, e.g. when changing from right to left lean or vice versa with much throttle applied. One example is the change from right to left lean on Philip Island (turn 10 into turn 11 after Lucky Heights), where the virtual rider makes the transition very abruptly when hard on the throttle... So I would like to see the effects in GPB, I think it would help with many random falls...

But I am curious what P has to say.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

March 06, 2016, 06:01:46 PM #2 Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:34:48 PM by HornetMaX
I doubt it is a simple as you say Stout. In GPB the VR does not react perfectly at all: it has a set of params defining a PID controller, so in some sense some filtering is already there (or could be built into, without the need of additional stuff).

It would be interesting to know what the MXB stability help is, but I wouldn't be surprised if Piboso would prefer this not be be disclosed (it would be understandable).
Anyway I agree on the fact that if it makes sense, then it makes sense :) For MXB it seems to make a lot of sense, so maybe ...

PiBoSo

The stability help is a concession to usability over pure simulation ( it will always be possible to completely disable it, though ).
Of course the plan is to keep improving the physics to make it less and less useful.
Nonetheless, it doesn't seem to be make a "playable" motocross simulator without some external help. The only other ( wannabe  :P ) simulator heavily relies on a long list of tunable stability parameters.

A stability helper could be added in the future to GPB, too, to help:
1) new users
2) less hardcore users
3) with badly made tracks
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

janaucarre

That's my feeling with mxbikes since one week.  I asked me if it was completely another physics or helping physics tuning,  now I'm ok:)
This kind of help is not as good for gpbikes as mxbikes,  perhaps only for the front wobbles but nothing else,  and i don't think it's possible to do only for that without having issues on other physics.

PiBoSo

Quote from: janaucarre on March 06, 2016, 07:56:02 PM
That's my feeling with mxbikes since one week.  I asked me if it was completely another physics or helping physics tuning,  now I'm ok:)

There were many physics improvements, too.

This kind of help is not as good for gpbikes as mxbikes,  perhaps only for the front wobbles but nothing else,  and i don't think it's possible to do only for that without having issues on other physics.

Think of the 125 bike, or turns with camber changes that some users insist on taking at full lean...  ::)

janaucarre

I understood well piboso ;-)
Yes that could be interesting for the 125, particularly for the new buyers,  good idea,  it needs tests,  but a 125 specially adapted for this help i mean,  because all those which ride since a long time have a feeling they know well now and perhaps don't want  another.

PiBoSo

Quote from: janaucarre on March 06, 2016, 09:42:42 PM
I understood well piboso ;-)
Yes that could be interesting for the 125, particularly for the new buyers,  good idea,  it needs tests,  but a 125 specially adapted for this help i mean,  because all those which ride since a long time have a feeling they know well now and perhaps don't want  another.

Please note that it would be possible to disable the help anytime.

Blackheart

I tried the demo with this control, and I decided to buy it (I am a total incompetent with motocross and this aid help)  ;D

Yohji

I think good to Stability Help for GPB too!

so now, GPB is too hard for bigginer.

if anyone dont want it? you just turn off it help. only it.

Napalm Nick

I reluctantly agree. The 125 and the terrible wobble3zero can only be hurting sales from new demo try-ers. Add to that the Dynamic Victoria causing Core errors all the time and its a bit of a mess unfortunately.  Would definitely have to come with a server 1/0 option though.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"