• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:50:23 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Strange behavious fbx2edf and bump mapping

Started by h106frp, March 09, 2016, 06:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

I have discovered that to get a bump (normal) map to take i have to 'recalculate normals' in the standalone fbx2edf  - fair enough i think i understand the concept now. Taking this action causes any edges marked as sharp in the model to be ignored leading to the model geometry becoming overly smoothed in game.

Setting a small normal angle in fbx2edf helps but then i need to add a lot of geometry to recover curved surfaces.

Is this behavior a bug ? - it really needs to recalculate the normals but observed any edges marked as 'sharp' in the fbx model file in the same way that the 3D app does without any problems.

Using fbx2edf without bump maps the model compiles fine and sharp edges are observed.

Steven

Hawk

March 10, 2016, 01:46:21 PM #2 Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:48:01 PM by Hawk
Are you using nurbs or subdivision surfaces? If you are, are you setting to output to polygons or converting to polygons before export to FBX?

Not sure what is happening there.  :-\

Hawk.

h106frp

Everything converted to polygons before export to fbx.

It just seems that when i use the 'recalculate normals' which you must do in order for the normal bump map to work the converter fails to observe any edges marked as 'sharp' in the model.

If i just convert the same fbx without 'recalculate normals' edges marked 'sharp' are observed and the model looks fine in-game but no bump map.

I have noticed some other MODS (including the current DUC MGP15 on-bike shots i have seen posted) where the loss of 'sharp' edges seems to have occurred.

I will read up on Edge Split and try it later.

Seems like a converter bug - needs a comment from PB to explain the expected behavior :(

h106frp

@ PiBoso - could you please comment as i need to make some decisions on what i modify in my model to resolve this issue as i want to use the bump/normal mapping for some cool effects.

If its just a bug with the converter then i am happy to wait for the update.

h106frp

Quote from: Steven on March 10, 2016, 01:40:28 PM
Have you tried Edge Split (a modifier)?

Tried 'edge split' and it does appear to work as a fix but makes a mess of the base model creating loads of loose faces.  :(

I really do not want to add loads of supporting geometry just to define an edge but i am starting to get stuck now - i love the shaders but the impact on plain model areas is unfortunate.

Obelix90

Hi,
Quote from: h106frp on March 21, 2016, 11:06:24 PM
Tried 'edge split' and it does appear to work as a fix but makes a mess of the base model creating loads of loose faces.  :(
you don't have to apply the modifier in Blender. Just set "Apply Modifiers" when exporting.

h106frp

Thanks for the help, read up on 'edge split modifier' and have it set to mimic the sharp edge marks in the model on fbx export - works great with only a small geometry increase overhead. Greatly improves the textured model appearance in game  :)