• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:12:48 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

GPB time to launch app - anyone else noticed?

Started by h106frp, March 11, 2016, 10:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Testing my MODS i have been starting and closing GPB a number of times and i have noticed that as i do this the time for the app to launch gets longer and longer! I have noticed this before but not thought much of it - i do not normally restart GPB more than a couple of time in a session.

No cores and exiting GPB normally each time.

Logging off the windows session and logging back in to windows does not clear the problem - only a hard restart of the OS.

I assume this means GPB is not clearing/freeing resources on shutdown?

Napalm Nick

Sounds the same as our assumption of cores caused by changing bikes/skins/tracks etc - no clean purge of resources between events.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

I had a core 4 times in a row just trying to get onto Snet 300 with the Varese OFFLINE to see what it was like yesterday!!! Thats the same track, same bike!!! 5th time started okay and no more cores since (YET).???

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

Wondering if people who only put the PC in 'sleep'  rather than full power down and restart on a regular basis have noticed app launch time to be quite long.

First launch of GPB takes you almost instantly to the menu screen on my PC, second time a bit longer, by the  4th or 5th  time we are up to 15 or 20 second wait.

Napalm Nick

I tested a little just with opening and closing and the 'boot' time stayed the same.  I will try to keep an eye out for any changes if opening , riding some laps, and closing. I guess not a lot is being loaded in otherwise.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

I restart it very often when I toy around the plugins and I've never noticed this (not that I was paying special attention to it though).
Also, I'm not sure that "GPB not clearing/freeing resources at shoutdown" could affect that: in fact at shutdown/crash, everything is freed by the OS.

h106frp

March 11, 2016, 11:30:30 AM #6 Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:35:22 AM by h106frp
I am a bit puzzled by this behavior, maybe its just my PC but i have not noticed issues with any other apps just GPB.

Its not system memory - still got over 5 GB+ reported free. I wonder what the app start sequence is? possibly something to do with license validation?

Hawk

I must admit that I've always restarted GPB after sessions, it does seem to better stabilize the operation of GPB greatly, but I think your actually talking about a big difference when actually shutting down your PC then restarting. I've not found I've had to do that as yet, but will be interesting to note any difference in speed and sharpness of operation when loading resources by doing that.

But I've always restarted GPB after sessions because I tend to get core.exe crashes often if I don't do it. By doing it I suffer few core.exe crashes, so I've always thought, like Nick stated above, that it was a case of GPB not resetting and purging or resetting it's data from the system/programme settings and variables or memory before starting a new session?

All I know is that GPB is very much more stable if you restart GPB after any session.

Hawk.