• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:26:16 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Problems with my bike mod

Started by Blackheart, March 27, 2016, 09:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackheart

March 27, 2016, 09:14:46 PM Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:38:51 PM by Blackheart
Hi guys,

So, my objective was have a very quick preview of the chassis in the game, (yes, I forgot to remove the steer and the fork :) ).

My steps:

1_ Resize my bike with the real values (simply created a Box with the real dimensions of the bike, and I scaled the bike based on this primitive polygon, yes i know is too big, for a my little mistake).

2_ I exported the model (with all texture applied) in the .fbx format.

3_ With fbx2edf.exe leaving each option in default, I converted the model.

4_ I replaced the t_v594.edf file (I thought it was the Varese chassis  ;D) and I opened bikeed.

5_ In the bikeed i see all except the fairings, but I can see just the red edges.

My question; was an issue in the conversion from fbx2edf or something else? And above all, how can I fix?

Here a screenshot in game:  :'(

Alone

Hi Blackheart.
First, be sure that the texture not have alpha channel.
If that's ok, try to flip the polys's textures before export the model.

h106frp

Probably just flipped normals, but you can use http://www.open3mod.com/ to check the fbx before you try and convert, it can also display all the textures and show normal directions  :)

Some more 'issues' i have had;

Mirroring not 'applied' in the 3D app (CTL A in Blender to fix transforms)- causes the mirrored part to appear OK but normals are actually reversed, probably just a blender thing.

Incorrectly referenced texture files - export an ascii fbx and have a look for directory references in the file. I have not tried with textures packed in the fbx export though.

If you use shaders you must tick 'recalculate' in the converter to get them to work.

Generally i have found the standalone converter works well, if it does not convert at all (crashes) it is usually due to missing  UV co-ords

Blackheart

March 28, 2016, 11:47:44 AM #3 Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:37:00 PM by Blackheart
Quote from: Alone on March 27, 2016, 10:18:28 PM
Hi Blackheart.
First, be sure that the texture not have alpha channel.
If that's ok, try to flip the polys's textures before export the model.

Thx man!  Yep was the alpha channel in the texture!  :-[

Quote from: h106frp on March 28, 2016, 12:23:15 AM
Probably just flipped normals, but you can use http://www.open3mod.com/ to check the fbx before you try and convert, it can also display all the textures and show normal directions  :)

This program is very useful!  ;)

Thx! For the mirrors, still I do not know how to do to integrate in the game.   :-\

h106frp

March 28, 2016, 12:47:41 PM #4 Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:57:15 PM by h106frp
What are you stuck with?

If you have the bike working in bikeED then you should only need to alter a few entries in gfx.cfg to get the bike in game.

If you have a name for the bike (MOD bike style) and the .edf file names i can help with a directory template  :)

Blackheart

Import the model of the bike in the game now it is not a problem, but the "problem" is that i dunno like works the mirrors;

I have to give it a reflective material? Or there is a file to be edited to give the cordinates?

h106frp

For mirrors you just create a plain texture and then apply a shader (.shd) when you build the model. The reflection only seem to be low resolution so don't expect too much, the view angle is also effected by the rider FOV which causes problems in game.

Do NOT prefix your texture 'mirror_' unless you want your frame rate to drop to zero, this seems to be a special case, not sure what it is used for.

my mirrlens.tga shader text file, shader should be called mirrlens.shd (prefixed the same as the texture you want to apply a shader to) and placed in the same directory as the original texture. You must recalculate normals in fbx2edf to apply the effects. The reflection map is just the alpha channel of a .tga to tune the effect you can start without it.

More details in PBs track building wiki.

specular
{

shininess=100

}

reflection
{
factormin = 4.5
factormax = 5.0
factorexp = 0.25

map=reflection_map_mirr.tga
}

Blackheart