• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:24:45 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

BikeED - Please explain the rear suspension graph

Started by h106frp, April 09, 2016, 12:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

April 09, 2016, 12:04:16 PM Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:01:14 PM by h106frp
Could you explain the rear suspension graph displayed in BikeED?

Thank you

PiBoSo

It shows the ratio between rear wheel travel and shock travel.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

h106frp

April 09, 2016, 02:13:00 PM #2 Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:53:18 PM by h106frp
Thank you,

It does appear that BikeEd crashes whenever the data in this graph does not resolve well, usually the graph slope increases dramatically toward the extreme values and the app crashes. These extreme values are often generated with only tiny movements in suspension positions. What controls the limits? In reality i would think bump stops or spring coil bound/damper extension would create natural limiting of the travel rate.

Could you also clarify rear suspension length and suspension min length - i do not understand why the length should be less than the minimum, are both values in meters?

Very confused now, loaded up the Mura and the graph shows virtually no change on the vertical axis (maybe 2,0 to 2.05) for the full range on the horizontal axis (112mm). Is it possible the vertical axis is meters and the horizontal in millimeters?

PiBoSo

The horizontal axis is the rear wheel vertical movement, from 0 to max travel ( 112mm ).
Modern GP bikes have a very "flat" curve.
A ratio of 2 means that the shock compresses 1mm for every 2mm of wheel travel.

h106frp

OK, so the vertical axis is ratio?

I am having some success with the classic suspension  :) Still cannot work with the more advanced models though as trying to adjust the mounting points is very unpredictable.

I am a bit confused by front suspension trail;

The Mura only has 16mm, the MOD ducati has 32mm - these seem very small

For my MOD bike the book figure is around 95mm and seems quite typical from what i can find even for a racebike, if i try 95mm the bike is un-rideable and the steering totally unstable, reducing trail  makes things more stable. This seems a bit odd (reversed), although everything in BikeED looks sensible graphically.

Than you for the explanations so far, i am slowly starting to understand bikeED  :)

PiBoSo

Quote from: h106frp on April 09, 2016, 04:14:57 PM
OK, so the vertical axis is ratio?

I am having some success with the classic suspension  :) Still cannot work with the more advanced models though as trying to adjust the mounting points is very unpredictable.

I am a bit confused by front suspension trail;

The Mura only has 16mm, the MOD ducati has 32mm - these seem very small

For my MOD bike the book figure is around 95mm and seems quite typical from what i can find even for a racebike, if i try 95mm the bike is un-rideable and the steering totally unstable, reducing trail  makes things more stable. This seems a bit odd (reversed), although everything in BikeED looks sensible graphically.

Than you for the explanations so far, i am slowly starting to understand bikeED  :)

For the correct trail reading, please make sure that the front tyre radius is set in "Test".