• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:02:19 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Seamless gearbox?

Started by davidboda46, May 16, 2016, 04:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidboda46

Please correct me if I've got this wrong but does not a seamless gearbox mean that you can keep the throttle pinned while you are going through the gears? With the current GP-bike Mod http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=2857.0 the bikes spin a lot, especially when going from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. It's my understanding that the RPM:s are adjusted through electronics so the RPM and drive on the rear wheel is optimal when going through the gears, to a point where the gear changes are hardly noticeable.

On the downshifts, I also have a feeling that the real world counterparts are smother, don't know if they have some sort of auto blipp-funktion or if you still have to match revs with the throttle. I try to do it the old fashion way on none MotoGP-bikes, mening I use the clutch and blipp the throttle manually but it feels like we should not have to do that on the MotoGP-ones (maybe some of the satellite bikes don't have fully seamless gearboxes yet, I am not sure). But I can't remember which one of the bikes had fully seamless already in 2015, I think Honda, Yamaha and Ducati factory bikes had it. Suzuki only on up-shifts...? 

Thoughts?   
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

HornetMaX

Quote from: davidboda46 on May 16, 2016, 04:44:39 AM
It's my understanding that the RPM:s are adjusted through electronics so the RPM and drive on the rear wheel is optimal when going through the gears, to a point where the gear changes are hardly noticeable.
There are two different things: shifters and seamless gearboxes.

A shifter is something that allows you to shift gears up without releasing the throttle and without using the clutch. It does so by cutting the ignition for a short lapse of time. More sophisticated shifters can also use auto-blipping and/or achieve the same result in a more complex manner (possibly leading to faster and smoother gear shifts). Some can even shift down with no clutch (recent MV have this).

A seamless gearbox is mostly mechanical (at least in principle) and is a device that allows shifting up and down without interrupting the torque transmission between the engine and the wheel(s).
Because of that it should always be better than a simple shifter (as it doesn't cut power at all): so it's quicker and smoother.

In MotoGP it is now more or less standard. I think Honda started using it (likely, for up-shifting only) in 2011.

And yes, the current motogp mod bikes really need a look at their not-so-seamless gearbox :)

Vini

May 16, 2016, 09:28:44 PM #2 Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:38:55 PM by vin97
I'm very happy with the downshifts on Manu's bikes (just bang down all gears at once and let the clutch/electronics do it's thing, like on real MotoGP bikes) but the upshift time definitely has to be increased a bit again to give the rear a chance of retaining grip.

You are losing/gaining/whatever a lot of time with the current upshift...
https://www.youtube.com/v/fUc_vdpIzMk

Vini

eh hold on, why were there four downshift sounds when I only downshifted two gears?

davidboda46

Quote from: vin97 on May 18, 2016, 01:02:19 AM
eh hold on, why were there four downshift sounds when I only downshifted two gears?

I've noticed a few sound/gear issues from time to time. Sometimes you hear a down or an up shift but the gear actually stays the same. Does not happen often enough for me to remember which bikes it happens on...

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"