• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Wet track reflections

Started by Blackheart, June 02, 2016, 08:20:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackheart

Is possible with some hidden option to improve the quality of the reflection in the wet? As seen in this clip are really ugly.  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/v/HcWXxU7zsao

PiBoSo

Quote from: Blackheart on June 02, 2016, 08:20:56 am
Is possible with some hidden option to improve the quality of the reflection in the wet? As seen in this clip are really ugly.  ::)

The main problem is that the asphalt shouldn't be a smooth mirror.
It should have puddles and a normal map, too.

With proper art reflections look more realistic.
"Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent".

Blackheart

The asphalt is obviously better with puddles and a nice bump map, but I mean the real-time reflections, I think in any surfaces you can notice the pixels effect.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Blackheart on June 02, 2016, 09:12:28 am
The asphalt is obviously better with puddles and a nice bump map, but I mean the real-time reflections, I think in any surfaces you can notice the pixels effect.

The reflections' resolution was kept low on purpose, to cheaply simulate the "blurriness" of reflections.

HornetMaX

Quote from: PiBoSo on June 02, 2016, 10:39:05 am
The reflections' resolution was kept low on purpose, to cheaply simulate the "blurriness" of reflections.

I think that's smart. Maybe worth seeing if a resolution a bit higher (for the reflection) is a better trade off.

One thing I noticed on the video (not sure if it's a problem of the track or of the engine): between 0:00s and 0:04s you can see the reflection and the shadow.
But from 0:04.5s, the shadow disappears (there seems to be a change in the track surface)..

Also, when we do see the shadow, should the shadow be blurred too ? It looks a bit strange to have the reflection blurred but not the shadow.

BTW, which KRP track is that one ?

Blackheart

June 02, 2016, 11:18:42 am #5 Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:21:12 am by Blackheart
Quote from: PiBoSo on June 02, 2016, 08:54:20 am

Maybe at the cost of a performance impact, would be better a normal resolution, with a after-blur effect.

And +1 for the shadow

PiBoSo

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 02, 2016, 10:50:12 am
Quote from: PiBoSo on June 02, 2016, 10:39:05 am

I think that's smart. Maybe worth seeing if a resolution a bit higher (for the reflection) is a better trade off.

One thing I noticed on the video (not sure if it's a problem of the track or of the engine): between 0:00s and 0:04s you can see the reflection and the shadow.
But from 0:04.5s, the shadow disappears (there seems to be a change in the track surface)..

Also, when we do see the shadow, should the shadow be blurred too ? It looks a bit strange to have the reflection blurred but not the shadow.

BTW, which KRP track is that one ?

Rye House.
Sorry for using KRP screenshots in a GPB discussion, but this track is the one with the best reflections.

New screen with quadrupled resolution.
Probably a better compromise, as you suggested.

Blackheart

Quote from: PiBoSo on June 02, 2016, 11:47:20 am
New screen with quadrupled resolution.
Probably a better compromise, as you suggested.

Much better  ;)

Warlock