• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

I want to puke and I'm loving it!

Started by davidboda46, June 02, 2016, 09:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

June 03, 2016, 07:08:03 PM #15 Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:13:12 PM by vin97
Here is an ok lap at Catalunya with the M1.
FOV 90°, Pitch 50%, Tilt 20%, no corner anticipation, helmet rot 20%, 3 top/bottom offset
https://www.youtube.com/v/qUjCH43-9qM

BOBR6 84

Does it tilt the other way if you want it too?

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on June 03, 2016, 07:13:50 PM
Does it tilt the other way if you want it too?
Not yet, but it's already done, will be in the next release.

Kerazo

Quote from: vin97 on June 03, 2016, 07:08:03 PM
Here is an ok lap at Catalunya with the M1.
FOV 90°, Pitch 50%, Tilt 20%, no corner anticipation, helmet rot 20%, 3 top/bottom offset
https://www.youtube.com/v/qUjCH43-9qM

I can not understand how people prefer 3rd person view over this..

Blackheart

::) de gustibus, I like both views, but are very different , a more "game" and one more "real". But both are fun.  :D

HornetMaX

@vin: it looks pretty nice. The only thing I want to work on is the following: when the helmet rotation is exactly as the same value as the GPB tilt (like in your case, 20% for both) the helmet will always be "aligned" to the horizon. This is not ideal as in reality you do compensate, but not fully and not perfectly. 2 ways to improve:

• Easy one: set the helmet rot at a lower value then the tilt. Example: 50% tilt, 25% rot ==> when you're leaning 40deg, the horizon will be at 20deg (50% of 40deg) but the helmet will rotate only 10deg (25% of 40deg). I just ned to add more settings for the helmet rot (e.g every 5deg) and then it's up to you to configure it as you want.
  • More complex one: introduce some sort of helmet dynamics, as if the link between the helmet and the horizon was not "rigid" but "elastic" (like a spring plus damper).

Blackheart

The helmet texture It would be to change, removing the lights effect. I saw that you can change the visor color, so if I'm not mistaken you can create a distortion effect with PS and apply it to the image.  :P

HornetMaX

Quote from: Blackheart on June 03, 2016, 07:44:00 PM
The helmet texture It would be to change, removing the lights effect. I saw that you can change the visor color, so if I'm not mistaken you can create a distortion effect with PS and apply it to the image.  :P
I haven't understood a single word of that   ???

What lights effects ?! There's no light effect in the helmet thing, it's just two sprites put on screen.

Apply a static distortion to what ?

Blackheart

never mind ... when I have time I do.  ::)

BOBR6 84

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 03, 2016, 07:39:32 PM
@vin: it looks pretty nice. The only thing I want to work on is the following: when the helmet rotation is exactly as the same value as the GPB tilt (like in your case, 20% for both) the helmet will always be "aligned" to the horizon. This is not ideal as in reality you do compensate, but not fully and not perfectly. 2 ways to improve:

• Easy one: set the helmet rot at a lower value then the tilt. Example: 50% tilt, 25% rot ==> when you're leaning 40deg, the horizon will be at 20deg (50% of 40deg) but the helmet will rotate only 10deg (25% of 40deg). I just ned to add more settings for the helmet rot (e.g every 5deg) and then it's up to you to configure it as you want.
  • More complex one: introduce some sort of helmet dynamics, as if the link between the helmet and the horizon was not "rigid" but "elastic" (like a spring plus damper).

Nice one MaX! Dynamic Lid 8) both good options tho lol Dynamic Lid sounds interesting..

Blackheart

June 03, 2016, 08:12:18 PM #25 Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:13:49 PM by Blackheart
Now I see there is not even the blur effect in the helmet texture... just apply a filter is not hard  :-\

Vini

Tried 30% tilt with 20% helmet rot and while it's of course more realistic it's harder for me and less comfortable.

anyway, short clip from practice with teeds (same settings as before) :D
https://www.youtube.com/v/IwUGG42pZhk

HornetMaX

Quote from: Blackheart on June 03, 2016, 08:12:18 PM
Now I see there is not even the blur effect in the helmet texture... just apply a filter is not hard  :-\

Because you think that that specific "model" is any better ?! If you ask me, it is far worse. It's flat (!!) and the blur makes little sense, because when with the eyes I watch the helmet I want no blur while when I watch the track I'm naturally focusing away from the lid, so the blurring happens naturally. It looks like a milestone games: DOF is overdone by a mile and a half.

For the record, the helmet images that I use are not made by me but by Juju (who since left the forum), somebody that is far more competent than me (that's easy) and you combined, in everything that deals with 3d, images, photography , cinematography and so on. So yeah, your rolling the eyes every two comments is getting boring. Quickly.

Anyway, if you prefer your lid (thing that is totally legitimate) you just have to swap the two .tga files that come with the plugin with whatever you like most. You didn't know that ? I guess it's my turn to  ::)

Quote from: vin97 on June 03, 2016, 09:01:14 PM
anyway, short clip from practice with teeds (same settings as before) :D
Do I see a bug in the radar ? You have a single bike in front of you and both left and right warning indicators are on ?!  :o  will have to take a look.

Blackheart

June 03, 2016, 09:52:48 PM #28 Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:57:51 PM by Blackheart
Something like that is more realistic, no strange static lights (was a Milestone game?) and 
higher blur.

Eyes focus only a small part of what they see.

P.S.  ::)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Blackheart on June 03, 2016, 09:52:48 PM
Something like that is more realistic, no strange static lights (was a Milestone game?) and 
higher blur.

You think it's more realistic, I don't. But again, you're free to use your one, for yourself. That's why I made the .tga swappable.

Static light: is it dynamic in yours ? No, it's absent.
They are both simple textures, none of them has (or can have) anything dynamic.

Quote from: Blackheart on June 03, 2016, 09:52:48 PM
Eyes focus only a small part of what they see.
That's why with my one (that is not burred) when I focus on the track I get some blurring naturally, without the need to blur the texture.

In reality, what happens when I focus my eyes on the helmet interior ? Do I see it blurred ? Nope.