• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 07:12:07 PM

Three brilliant old tracks

Started by Azlubo, November 06, 2015, 08:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlubo

Hi, i hope that someone remembers those amazing tracks:

1. MONTJUICH PARK
Montjuich is a former street circuit located just outside Barcelona, Spain, which held the Spanish motorcycle GP from 1950-68 then on alternate years until 1976 and was also famously used for the 24 Hours of Montjuich endurance race. An F1 crash in 1975 in which five spectators were killed led to the venue being dropped as a world championship venue.
The area was significantly redeveloped for the 1992 Barcelona summer Olympics although in 2004 the city council decided to mark the layout of the old circuit.

2. CLERMONT-FERRAND
Also known as the Charade Circuit, the narrow, mountainous track was built in 1958 around the sides of an extinct volcano in central France's Auvergne mountains. Originally 8km long it became likened to an even twistier and faster Nurburgring. It was home to the French GP between 1959 and 1967 and in 1972 and 1974. It also features significantly in the 1966 movie Grand Prix. However, rock debris often caused punctures and due to its layout it was not possible to improve run-off and safety. The last F1 race was held in 1972. Phil Read won the last motorcycle GP and the last race on the full circuit was held in 1988.

3. RIJEKA
known as the Automotodrom Grobnik, the 4.1km Rijeka circuit was home to the Yugoslavian motorcycle GP from 1978 to 1990, the last being won by Wayne Rainey, in an event littered with organisational and safety complaints from riders and a horrific crash which ended the career of 250 rider Reinhold Roth, led to it being dropped from the GP calendar. Although the circuit survives it is now mostly used for national racing and racing schools. Freddie Spencer, Wayne Garner and Eddie Lawson all won the 500cc event twice.

I don't know if someone is making one of them.
I can't do any track at all, so i'm posting this topic to see if someone have the time and the desire to make any one of them.
Thanks!

Hawk

I'm a great fan of the old classic circuits and layouts.... Far too often these days, tracks have been ruined by putting in stupid chicanes in the name of safety.... What a joke that is! Didn't anyone tell them that motorsport is dangerous! Hehe  ;D

But yeah.... any track I make from scratch accept Assen 2014 will be an old classic track with the genuine classic track layout.  ;D

Hawk.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: Hawk on November 06, 2015, 08:36:18 PM
But yeah.... any track I make from scratch accept Assen 2014 will be an old classic track with the genuine classic track layout.  ;D
You have my mouth watering ... any info on the status of this project? :)
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Hawk

Quote from: Stout Johnson on November 06, 2015, 10:03:06 PM

There is still a lot of work to do I'm afraid..... Just been so busy with other projects and work, but it will get done for sure.  ;)

Hawk.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: Hawk on November 06, 2015, 11:22:44 PM

There is still a lot of work to do I'm afraid..... Just been so busy with other projects and work, but it will get done for sure.  ;)

Hawk.
ok thank you for the info and your work is very much appreciated mate ;)
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Grooveski

I've some history with Charade.  :)  The first track I converted after Laguna Seca for GP500 was the full length Clermont Ferrand from GPL and later got the ok to do the short version...
...which basically became my test track, loved it  ;D (and done well there in the winter champs).

The full length model has been redone for rfactor in the years since.  I toyed with it a while ago but the poly count was too high(for GP500).  It's a pretty nice model...
...but the short version is a really nice model.  All welded and single skin at the kerbs, was the closest track I came across to a straight conversion.
Also had all manner of normal maps(that I stripped out becase GP500 didn't handle them), we're talking tasty and well put together.   ;)

Likely still have the contact details for getting permission for another game.
Trouble is, I think GPB's uphill grip(lack of grip) problem would be an issue at the bottom of the climb.
...and maybe at the top too - both corners are a bit Spa-turn-2,3,4ish in geometry and when we raced Spa a couple of months ago it kind of put me off the idea of a Charade conversion until the back end isn't going AWOL on elevation shifts.

Vini

Quote from: Stout Johnson on November 07, 2015, 07:32:52 AM
Quote from: Hawk on November 06, 2015, 11:22:44 PM

Hawk.
ok thank you for the info and your work is very much appreciated mate ;)
+1

zuco1989

Quote from: Azlubo on November 06, 2015, 08:02:10 PM
Hi, i hope that someone remembers those amazing tracks:

1. MONTJUICH PARK
Montjuich is a former street circuit located just outside Barcelona, Spain, which held the Spanish motorcycle GP from 1950-68 then on alternate years until 1976 and was also famously used for the 24 Hours of Montjuich endurance race. An F1 crash in 1975 in which five spectators were killed led to the venue being dropped as a world championship venue.
The area was significantly redeveloped for the 1992 Barcelona summer Olympics although in 2004 the city council decided to mark the layout of the old circuit.

2. CLERMONT-FERRAND
Also known as the Charade Circuit, the narrow, mountainous track was built in 1958 around the sides of an extinct volcano in central France's Auvergne mountains. Originally 8km long it became likened to an even twistier and faster Nurburgring. It was home to the French GP between 1959 and 1967 and in 1972 and 1974. It also features significantly in the 1966 movie Grand Prix. However, rock debris often caused punctures and due to its layout it was not possible to improve run-off and safety. The last F1 race was held in 1972. Phil Read won the last motorcycle GP and the last race on the full circuit was held in 1988.

3. RIJEKA
known as the Automotodrom Grobnik, the 4.1km Rijeka circuit was home to the Yugoslavian motorcycle GP from 1978 to 1990, the last being won by Wayne Rainey, in an event littered with organisational and safety complaints from riders and a horrific crash which ended the career of 250 rider Reinhold Roth, led to it being dropped from the GP calendar. Although the circuit survives it is now mostly used for national racing and racing schools. Freddie Spencer, Wayne Garner and Eddie Lawson all won the 500cc event twice.

I don't know if someone is making one of them.
I can't do any track at all, so i'm posting this topic to see if someone have the time and the desire to make any one of them.
Thanks!

Hi, I finished first version of Grobnik (Rijeka) what is basically a conversion from assetto corsa and rfactor together. I am just waiting permision from author to upload it.