• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:28:56 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Off track simulator crash - directX problem ?

Started by mst, July 08, 2016, 11:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mst

A couple of days ago I downloaded beta8, the motogp mod bikes, and a bunch of tracks.

I'm (mostly) lots of fun with the "screaming" Ducati GP15, and (so far) my favorite track Imola.

The fun ends when the sim crashes / Directx locks up when I send the bike "off track" in certain spots on the track.

I've read a few threads about the problem, seems to be "vertex holes"  "edge detection" problems etc.

The suggested remedy seems to be fixing the tracks, sometimes for even just "microscopic" errors.

I'm curious : what is the fundamental problem, that causes the sim to crash ?

Is it something in the sim code, or is it a Directx / 3dsmax interaction problem ?

Thankfully, my old beta3 license still works with beta8, if I had just purchased a new license for Beta8, I would be ...um  "annoyed" to say the least with these sim crashes.

h106frp

Tried a few laps of Imola and found a lot of 'black holes' in the model at places close to the racing line. The problem is in the track model mesh and creates a surface that the bike cannot run on and causes the simulation calculations to crash.
Some tracks are much better than others and i use Donnington National as my mod bike test track as the track edge seems solid which is the most annoying area for issues with only a few points on the model outer perimeter fence that i have found cause problems.

Either PB need to make the sim more tolerant or testing and quality control of tracks need to improve. The track modders have requested that known problem locations are accurately reported in the track mods section so they can patch them.

For reference and tracing graphic driver issues the sim is OpenGL not DirectX

doubledragoncc

@mst

You can "HOST" your own race like racing online but not even need to use the internet in order to get around the core crashes on most tracks. This means it is like offline but more stable.. Just go to Race, Host Local and use what track and bike class you want.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

mst

Quote from: doubledragoncc on July 08, 2016, 03:03:46 PM
@mst

You can "HOST" your own race like racing online but not even need to use the internet in order to get around the core crashes on most tracks. This means it is like offline but more stable.. Just go to Race, Host Local and use what track and bike class you want.

DD

As opposed to using the "Testing" menu option  ?

If so, why would "host local" use different "track-off code" than "testing") ? .... (It just "does" ?)

I'll give it a try.

Imola seems to consistently crash the sim if off track on the left side of turn #8.  I'll see if "host local" still crashes there.

Mike

mst

Quote from: h106frp on July 08, 2016, 11:32:55 AM

Either PB need to make the sim more tolerant or testing and quality control of tracks need to improve. The track modders have requested that known problem locations are accurately reported in the track mods section so they can patch them.

For reference and tracing graphic driver issues the sim is OpenGL not DirectX

Ok, OpenGL.   The point is, I'm wondering if the crashing is specific to the GBP code, or if any OpenGL program will crash when using a track mesh.