• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Thinking of buying this - help to push me to a decision....

Started by CapeDoctor, July 15, 2016, 12:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeDoctor

i saw this ad in the local online ads today, have already spoken to the guy, bike is perfect all round except needs new speedo cable.
seriously thinking of going to have a look at it tomorrow once the rain clears.
i believe these FJ's to be great bikes - a tad heavy, perhaps, but i'll be using it for touring mainly, and keep my trusty XR250 for commuting...

this is a current pic of the bike, i'm told it's a '96 model
anyone know of any serious issues i might have to look for with this when i go check it out?

Grooveski

They made FJ11's in 96?  I thought they'd been replaced by the 12 a decade earlier.   ???

My dad still rates his old FJ12 as one of the best sports-tourers he's had.
...and given he followed it up with a Trophy12, a couple of blackbirds and a 'busa that's not a bad compliment.
Part of it will be ease of maintainance(takes so long to get to anything these days) but I know he liked the handling.

Only serious problem he had was a chain chewing into the engine one time.  It was a disintegrating cush drive bearing that allowed the chain to jump so give the sprocket a wiggle while you're checking the wheel bearings.

If it's an ABS model the hoses will likely be goosed(folk seem less inclined to fit braided hoses to ABS-fitted old lumps).

Worth checking beforehand what tyres are available these days.  I know the 16" rear made choice limited for my dad even back then and a mate who ran an FJ12 years later had a 17 rear wheel fitted(from a gixxer I think) just so he could put decent tyres on it).

C21

You really mean 96?
FJ1100 was build 84-85.
FJ1200 86-90
FJ1200A (ABS) since 91-95

Engine is really reliable....
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

CapeDoctor

the guy placed it in the ad as a 96, but it's definitely not - it can't be older than an 85, as you guys rightly mention.
anyway, i wasn't buying it for the year, certainly i'd expect it to be high mileage, and it is, but it really is in top nick - only thing it needs is a speedo cable, otherwise it's in excellent condition.
i'm wanting something for the occasional long trip, and don't want to fork out too much - this might be an oldie, but it's also a goodie :D

Grooveski

Don't think the 11 was far removed from the 12.  They shared the same manual and my dad bought his on the strength of a few spins on a pals 1100.  He'd have happily ridden one of those but they'd updated it in the meantime...
Yours was probably just registered in the country in 96.  For a wee while we didn't have age-related plates here either and it led to the same kind of confusion at times with imports.

One thing about 80s bikes is rubber.  The whole braking system, the output and gearboxs seals, carb seals(and float orings), manifolds, cush drive....  It's fucking shocking how much of a bike just crumbles with age and I went through the replacement palava a couple years ago - cost a fortune - just felt it was worth pointing out.  :)
But then if you're running an XR250 you're probably well aware.  ;)

Hey, thinking about it - and off tangent a little(but not much :D) - A mate told me last year that you can still buy new DT175MX's in Africa.  Is that right enough?  Said he'd read it was like Enfields in India, someone had bought up the tooling and was still knocking them out.
Only ask because hey, the thought of a potential fresh engine for the wee dirt bike is a very nice thought indeed.  The poor wee thing's on it's .075 rebore and is tired throughout.  Turning classic over here and bits are getting pricy.

CapeDoctor

i'll do some research on the DT question for you - it might well be true, as i just saw a really new model second-hand DT175 advertised as well, through my online trawling - there might be something to that, i'll find out if i can ;)

CapeDoctor

belated reply, lolz - Groovski, it doesn't look like you can get the DT175 new any more, although you can still get some decent used ones, here's an example: http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/greyville/yamaha-dt175-scrambler/1001672360780910003011509
not sure if that's even the model you're interested in, that's more of a commuter version than the MX, if i'm not mistaken.

an update on my FJ purchase - i decided against the 1100 and have found a much better condition FJ1200, '93 model, with a genuine 25000km(around 15500 miles, i guess) on the clock and in superb nick.
going to look at it this week, very much looking forward to it  ;D

Grooveski

Cheers for looking into it.  :)
While the bodywork looks different(more like later LC bits)  the frame, swinging arm and lump all look pretty familiar.   

Mine looks even less like an MX model these days:   :P

Liking the sound of the FJ12.  That's barely run in.  :)

BOBR6 84

Grooveski

It's a paint shop at the moment.
A neighbour got a new kitchen fitted a few weeks ago - lots of big boxes appeared out by the garbage and my first thought was "Spray booth!".   :D

CapeDoctor

so, the FJ deal fell through, and the other two FJ's i went to look at were also requiring a little more cash layout than i was happy with, so i've eventually settled on something a little different, taking delivery of her later this week:

8)

Grooveski

Wish my tyres wore out like that.  Sometimes think I'm just not trying hard enough.   :(

Know nothing about RFs.  Toyed with a 600 years ago because the insurance was decent but ended up with a VT250 instead.
Always thought they were lookers.   :)

CapeDoctor

Grooveski

I should hope so.  ;)

Have good tug at the bars too.  Looks like maybe a Bandit setup grafted on.
Nothing wrong with that, looks like nice kit and bolt-on Bandit bars are probably comfier than stock but still, needs a good looking at.

Is that brake reservoir empty?  ???

CapeDoctor

hard to tell from the pics, but i'll definitely be giving that all a good once over tomorrow ;)