• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Dedicated Server - Video Guides

Started by Napalm Nick, July 31, 2016, 09:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

July 31, 2016, 09:32:07 PM Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:51:41 PM by Napalm Nick
I made these Dedicated Server tips videos to help out our very own DoubleDragonCC  - A series of videos I like to call "How to train your Dragon".

Before I leave I thought I would share them in the hope it may help others. I think Matty has used them to some success.

I posted them here because just above this you see PiBoSo's Dedicated Server Guide. So hopefully that is OK. If not I am sure they can be Moved or Deleted as required.

So anyway, sorry they are voiced very boringly  ::) if I thought I was going to post them I would of tried with a silky Barry White voice or something.

1. Checking your IP address
2. Making your IP static
3. Forwarding Ports
4. Install GPBikes for Server
5. Getting the Server to run
6. GPB Server -Dedicated .ini Setup
7. Running the Server

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

July 31, 2016, 09:33:06 PM #1 Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:03:16 PM by matty0l215
Part 1 - Checking Your IP Address

Watch on Youtube for clarity
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

July 31, 2016, 09:35:11 PM #2 Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:04:07 PM by matty0l215
Part 2 - Making Your IP Static

NOTE 1; This is to make a LOCAL Static IP only. Primarily for ensuring Port Forwarding is linked to the same Local server IP Address every time.

NOTE 2; You can also assign the PC you want to run the Dedicated Server on in the Router Admin itself. Like Port Forwarding the method will differ slightly depending on your Router and you usually need your PC's MAC address when setting it. The benefit of setting it in the Router will ensure the Server PC IP address does not get taken by another device (for example when your server is off).
I show the method below I used to create a 'permanently on' server separate to the PC I use for the game.

NOTE 3; If you cannot find your DNS Gateway settings, it may work fine without them anyway as your Router will handle communication to the internet.

Watch on Youtube for Clarity

Napalm Nick

July 31, 2016, 09:38:58 PM #3 Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:04:29 PM by matty0l215
Part 3 - Forwarding Ports Please note for Beta 12+ GP Bikes uses UDP ports 54300 and 54310 for network protocol.

Napalm Nick

July 31, 2016, 09:40:51 PM #4 Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:04:46 PM by matty0l215
Part 4 - Installing GPBikes for Server

NOTE 1; This setup really is directed at hosts using a separate Dedicated PC for their server from their gaming machine. If using the same one:
QuoteWhen you install GPB the second time (for the server) you should not tick the box to register the GPB URL protocol: if you do it, when you click on a web link to a server it may launch GPB from the server location instead of your usual location ((it may, as now you have registered the same protocol twice so it's not sure which one will kick in, probably the latest

Napalm Nick

July 31, 2016, 09:42:36 PM #5 Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:05:07 PM by matty0l215
Part 5 - Getting the Server to Run

Napalm Nick

July 31, 2016, 09:44:42 PM #6 Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:05:25 PM by matty0l215
Part 6 -  GPB Server - Dedicated .ini Setup For Beta 12+ GP Bikes uses UDP ports 54300 and 54310 for network protocol.

Napalm Nick

July 31, 2016, 09:47:09 PM #7 Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:05:42 PM by matty0l215
Part 7 - Running the Server

Napalm Nick

July 31, 2016, 09:48:11 PM #8 Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:12:17 PM by Napalm Nick
NOTES:
Add anything you find wrong or needs explaining etc and I will add it in here or against the video post, when I can.

1. Max's notes below added to Video posts above

Toodle pip  ;)

HornetMaX

Hi Nick,

a few random comments: Part 2 (static IP):

You should precise that you're trying to assign a static local IP address (local to your network): a global static IP address is something else (and not all internet providers allow that).

For people with a router (sometimes integrated in the adsl box), it's the router that assigns local IP addresses to the devices connected to the router: the proper way to assign the static local IP is then to specify this in the router settings (DHCP permanent lease, that's the usual name). Of course there are plenty of different router/boxes and the exact procedure can be different (same is true for port forwarding), but it should be not too hard. If you do your change in Windows, windows will ask for a specific IP but the router could assign a different one (if configured to do so, if the requested IP is already taken or out of range etc).

I'm not 100% sure it's necessary/useful to specify a DNS other than the one of your gateway: your PC only sees your gateway (router/box) and the gateway "talks" to the DNS configured in its parameters (sometimes you can change it, if you have some special need).

Part 4 Installing GPBikes for Server)
Not sure why you think it's better to install the server GPB on a different partition. Maybe you meant "a different" (physical) drive ?

Also, when you install GPB the second time (for the server) you should not tick the box to register the GPB URL protocol: if you do it, when you click on a web link to a server it may launch GPB from the server location instead of your usual location ((it may, as now you have registered the same protocol twice so it's not sure which one will kick in, probably the latest).

General remarks: I don't speak to people that use Notepad. Get Notpad++ (it's free). And get a decent microphone :)

Napalm Nick

August 01, 2016, 07:37:22 AM #10 Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:02:45 AM by Napalm Nick
OK thanks for the comments I will add your notes to the relevant sections.

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 01, 2016, 07:31:37 AM

Part 4 Installing GPBikes for Server)
Not sure why you think it's better to install the server GPB on a different partition. Maybe you meant "a different" (physical) drive ?

Purely for keeping the OCD under control to manage post race results, replays, white/backlists, bike and track folders, FTP control etc in the tidiest manner possible. When one of the servers plays up 5 minutes before a race event I like to know exactly what area to deal with.  Yes indeed - If you have more than one hard drive for each server even better!
"A tidy desk is a tidy mind"

I don't use a microphone? I just shout and hope the vibrations form words.

Rodrigovis

Hello guys.
I do not know if I should be posting this subject here, but it happens that we have a dedicated server that worked normally, but since last week after losing the connection it no longer appears the ping and almost all that try to connect in it can not.
the server ports are open and we tried to change ports several times, but without success.
the server is a company machine that stays connected 24 hours.
currently try to use port 54300

doubledragoncc

Try ports 54320, 54330.......etc 54300 is reserved for GPB game I think you will find.

Hope that works

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Rodrigovis

Quote from: doubledragoncc on March 13, 2019, 08:10:24 AM
Try ports 54320, 54330.......etc 54300 is reserved for GPB game I think you will find.

Hope that works

DD

problem solved tks