• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 03:31:46 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

What is going on with UK used bike prices?

Started by h106frp, August 02, 2016, 08:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty0l215

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 04, 2016, 07:06:41 AM
Well, if Yam did that, the "sport" version of the MT-09 would cost 3,000E more than the roadster, thanks to titanium screws, unobtanium rods and launch control :)
Look at the price difference between a Daytona and a Street. The problem would stay, no ?

You do have 600cc sport bikes today and they spare you some cash compared to their 1000cc sisters ... but a (new) cbr600rr sport costs as much as a (new) cb1000r roadster: unless one plans to do quite some track days, I'd advice the roadster hands down.

I'm not saying the problem would go away. I just don't want to lose the sports bikes :P

I like the engine and power output of the MT-09 (i only use this as an example) but i don't want a roadster. I like my fairings and while im young and can easily, i enjoy the crouched over aproach of sports bikes ;D  but me personally, i don't want a 1000cc super bike, they are too impractical for the British road (at least the road i ride most often) anyway if i wanted practical i'd go and get a BMW GS (a real motorcycle ;)) with panniers and wear a polite hi-vis (Brits will understand ;D)

And the without the current stock of super bikes, we lose WSB, BSB etc and we lose the next generation of track bikes

Also Compare the price of used street triples and used daytonas. There are within £500 on average at the bottom end.

As for the next fad, i'm not to sure. Whatever some popular bunch decide is cool :P we still havent seen the end of the hipster bullshit yet ;
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Grooveski

Funnily enough we've been doing pretty well with free projects up here the last couple of years.  Probably our best run on barn finds ever.

My dad wanted one of the outbuildings cleared so the XJ900 went to one of my mates and the Guzzi (Daytona 1000) to another.
At the end of the year another pal's family is selling their farm.  I've got 'till then to get down and lift a Bultaco 250 and a z650.  The dirt bike will likely be a group project but the z650 is coming my way.    :)

It's pretty clean but of course has been lying for 20+ years - I'm kinda hoping it's rougher than described - then I could go down the custom route without the guilt of hacking up a clean classic.  Already have a gixer750 rear end/zx9r front end/blade brakes/etc shopping list all planned out down to the bearing kits and lighting rig.  If it turns out to be a spotless example that I decide to keep standard it'll probably still cost as much to fix up and I know a good bit of my riding time will be spent daydreaming about upside downies and brembo radial masters.
Hmmm, starting to sound a bit hipsterish.   :-[
Won't be a cafe racer - if that plays in my defence :-\ - geometry and riding position will barely change.  Just good tyres, brakes and bouncy bits.   :D

h106frp

Might want to look at what you could get for the z650 before you start - you could probably go on a nice holiday with the proceeds  ;)

I have noticed prices become more sane as you travel away from southern England but i think most of the barns and sheds have already been emptied down here as the latest trend seems to be 'barn finds' imported form the US and these are still overpriced crap with no registration docs.

Grooveski

Quote from: h106frp on August 04, 2016, 11:45:55 AM
Might want to look at what you could get for the z650 before you start - you could probably go on a nice holiday with the proceeds  ;)

The DT tank, bodywork, airbox and front end will be going on ebay soon.  Hoping the proceeds might cover the tyres, oil tanks and other bits and bobs that I still need for the end of the dirtbike build.
Imagine the same could be done with the wee z.  If the parts are in decent nick they'll probably sell for more than the (also secondhand) sportbike replacements are costing.

Think it'll be my kind of bike.  I'm only a little guy(under 5'10") and most bikes I try are too big for me.
Hence I ride a zxr400sp, which fits great and hits all the right spots when I'm up for fun but there's room in my life for a z650 I reckon.  :)

h106frp

zxr400sp - really nice bike, but when i tried one it felt like a torture rack with the reach to the bars compared to the NC30  :)

I still think the 400's are some of the best A and B road scratching bikes ever made as you really need to make a bit of (rewarding) effort with your corner speed to keep the pace up, too easy to point and squirt with the bigger bikes and if you do make a more committed effort on the larger bikes the speeds start getting a bit silly  ;)

Grooveski

There's folk pay good money for that bound&paddled feel down at Madame Spanky's every night of the week.   ;)  It's not that zxr's are harsh - it's just that wrists and spines aren't tough enough :P (mine included sometimes ::) ).
NC30/35 are the only 400s I'd consider swapping it for.  Never tried one but they sure do look the part.

I've ridden a few 600s(sports and road) over the years and they've always felt like what I should be on.  They fit ok, are more comfortable, quiet and feel longer lasting.
....so I guess none of those are my major considerations.  Over the years I've thought more about stuffing a zx6 engine into the zxr than I've considered changing to a bigger bike.

In company I need to go first to have first dibs on the passing places.  The company these days is a gixer thou', a speed triple and a zx7r and the 400 definately feels strained if I'm on the tail of the group.
Up front though - no bother.  How fast can you realistically go on the road anyway?

matty0l215

Quote from: matty0l215 on August 04, 2016, 08:12:01 AM
I like the engine and power output of the MT-09 (i only use this as an example) but i don't want a roadster. I like my fairings and while im young and can easily, i enjoy the crouched over aproach of sports bikes ;D

http://www.sportrider.com/yamahas-street-based-fz-07-could-have-potential-race-success-with-specially-designed-track-kit#page-2

CALLED IT!! sort of :P

HornetMaX

For anywhere between 13,500 and 15,000 GBP ... I'd buy a brand new bike :)

matty0l215

Step in the right direction for me ;D

Stick some lights, mirrors etc, make it a mass producible bike (bring the cost down) and I'll be interested :)

HornetMaX

A bit of explanation here: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/june/honda-cbr600rr-killed-off/

But you still can have an r6, or a cbr650f (on the cheapo side).

matty0l215

It wasn't so much they couldn't meet the standards,  more the cost to re-developw the bike which wasn't going to be cost effective. And MCN really jumped the gun when reporting this. (Has Honda confirmed?)

HornetMaX

It wasn't so much the cost, it was more the fact that if they sell 150 units per year (in the UK), then ... see the comments from the other makers (including Triumph). A 600 supersport has a limited audience at those prices: you can put a bit more and get a 1000, or put the same price and get a 1000 roadster, or put a lot less and get a 600 roadster/street.

matty0l215

I don't know about other but when i look for a bike (At the moment anyway) I look for a sub 140bhp sport(y) bike that isn't 4 cylinders (I like the different stuff, mainly Italian or British). I can't see a reason for me buying a 1000 yet. It will happen but I am more than happy with my 675 and I don't want more power, nor do i want a roadster.

This is what i want and by no means represents the UK motorcycle industry (every bastard is buying new are getting BMW s100RR or roadsters :P)

HornetMaX

So sport(y), no 4cyl, no roadster, no 1000cc ... there's only the 675. As you already have it, you should be already happy :)
[ok ok, there's also some Ducati stuff, "slightly" overpriced though ...]

matty0l215

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 11, 2016, 06:38:57 PM
[ok ok, there's also some Ducati stuff, "slightly" overpriced though ...]

This is the one of the reasons I haven't bought a Ducati (I'd have a 899 in a heartbeat) or a new Daytona (Not enough changed, and can't justify the cost/benefit yet :P) cost ;D