• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:21 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Isle Of Man

Started by Reactive, December 26, 2013, 11:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grooveski

Heightwise it's slightly better than I expected.  The variation between the three laps it's within a metre all over and generaly less than half that.
I used to regularly deal with data from a Trimble backpack system and it's height data was rarely as tight as that, guess GPS's have come on a bit in the last ten years(probably reading more satellites too).
Far from perfect though, here are the three of them over Hailwood Heights(1m grid). 

matty0l215

I will say whoever got this gpa data did 3 laps of the course which BTB really dodnt like so i had to go back into google earth, delete the unessecerry points and then got it into BTB.

In google earth it followed the road accordingly (i even had it in varmin base camp which is used for programing sat navs and it looked good there as well.)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Storris

I don't want to burst the bubble we've been blowing, but someone might have beat us to it... :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIKdwQ-gGWQ

:)

matty0l215

April 12, 2016, 01:00:31 PM #303 Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:08:59 PM by Hawk
Quote from: Storris on April 12, 2016, 12:55:41 PM
I don't want to burst the bubble we've been blowing, but someone might have beat us to it... :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIKdwQ-gGWQ

Christ, you had me worried there ;) :P

HornetMaX

Not sure averaging over multiple lines proves the data is accurate. We'd need a topographic measure of height difference between two points of the track and compare it to what we can see in the files.
And still, it could be perfect at some point and off by 2m at another.

But I'm nitpicking, for our needs it may well be enough (especially if some manual fix is done where blatantly needed).

But then, if you have laser scanned data you can make plenty of hardcore simmers drool instantly :)

Hawk

Quote from: Storris on April 12, 2016, 12:55:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZIKdwQ-gGWQ

If I remember rightly this was created for GP500, but it is a "mini TT" track(scaled down in length) and not the full length version.

Hawk.

Storris

April 12, 2016, 01:22:02 PM #306 Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:24:17 PM by Storris
Quote from: HornetMaX on April 12, 2016, 01:02:33 PM

This being the Isle of Man, that 2m could well be the actual shape of the road :), but yes, short of a GPS Data Gathering Strike Force descending on the island, this is as good as you are going to get.

@Hawk

It's an even earlier Sega arcade game that was actually ported to Windows at some point.

Grooveski

Not sure averaging over multiple lines proves the data is accurate. We'd need a topographic measure of height difference between two points of the track and compare it to what we can see in the files.

Highest point is 422m according to wikipedia.
...and 423.8 according to the data.
(....and the GPS was likely mounted on the handlebars)
Not a million miles off.

lol, what am I doing back in here?  I've enough on my plate with the smallest track in the country.   ;D 
Have fun guys(but count me in if it comes to building it ourselves).   ;)

Hawk

Quote from: Storris on April 12, 2016, 01:22:02 PM

This being the Isle of Man, that 2m could well be the actual shape of the road :), but yes, short of a GPS Data Gathering Strike Force descending on the island, this is as good as you are going to get.

@Hawk

It's an even earlier Sega arcade game that was actually ported to Windows at some point

All the more reason to not worry about it I think. Lol.  ;D

I also agree that barring someone releasing professionally produced cloud point data of the TT Circuit then GPS data is as accurate as it's going to get. But even with the cloud point data, that data still needs a lot of work and processing to get it into an accurate poly-mesh to be able to work with it. ;)

I'd also stress that the GPS data is just a foundation to get a good(as it's going to get for GPS data) approximation of the height and layout of the track surface.... There would be a massive amount of extra work involved in getting near accurate road widths and shapes on the circuit as well as all the other peripheral requirements of adding kerbs, pavements, walls, roadside bankings, road markings, buildings, signs, barriers, fences, trees, etc, etc..... So unless we can get a team together to work on separate elements and bring them together for the final build then this work is only going to amount to a feasibility test run and nothing more.... It's just too big a project for a small team to develop in a relatively short period of time.  :)

Hawk.

h106frp

Quote from: Storris on April 12, 2016, 01:22:02 PM

@Hawk

It's an even earlier Sega arcade game that was actually ported to Windows at some point.

Always a good waste of £1 when you find one of these in a dusty arcade corner   ;D

Hawk

April 12, 2016, 02:08:50 PM #310 Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:22:28 PM by Hawk
I thought I would just advise people that taking data to work with 3D off of the Publicly available data(unlicensed) you can pull from Google Earth is off-set by I think it's 2arc secs(I presume to combat anyone pulling data to use freely for commercial purposes), so any data pulled like that will not be accurate, although it doesn't look too bad on terrain that is relatively flat it looks awful on data were you have many differences in terrain heights. Just take a look at the Google data for Cadwell Park Racing Circuit and you will see this 2 sec arc off-set well.  ;)
Plus I think Google Earth data is only down to a resolution of 30 meters(If I'm not mistaken?) which is not ideal for accurate track surface creation at all.  :-\

Hawk.

matty0l215

Just so you know, i only used google earth to edit the gps data. It shouldny have changed any other physical data. I just removed 2 laps of data :)

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on April 12, 2016, 02:52:09 PM
Just so you know, i only used google earth to edit the gps data. It shouldny have changed any other physical data. I just removed 2 laps of data :)

To be honest the track looks great Matty for the differences in height(though I'm not privy to knowing the accuracies of the height map of the TT circuit in real life), but it does look good to me!  ;D

Now to get the centreline sorted so we can run it in GPB(Hopefully)..... That is going to be a right pain in the arse! I think I'll do that over the next few days. Or maybe even leave that till next weekend when I've got more time. Lol

Hawk.

Storris

April 13, 2016, 12:35:33 PM #313 Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:58:13 PM by Storris
Quick question for you all, have you seen/used TORCS?  It has a track editor, that can handle long tracks and you trace over an outline of the track you are building.

Thought you might be able to make use of the .acc files it creates - https://sourceforge.net/projects/torcs/?source=typ_redirect - There is apparently, an add-on for Blender to import .acc files - https://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23960, and then add elevation data.

Hawk

Quote from: Storris on April 13, 2016, 12:35:33 PM
Quick question for you all, have you seen/used TORCS?  It has a track editor, that can handle long tracks and you trace over an outline of the track you are building.

Thought you might be able to make use of the .acc files it creates - https://sourceforge.net/projects/torcs/?source=typ_redirect - There is apparently, an add-on for Blender to import .acc files - https://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23960, and then add elevation data.

I've yet to see any track editor that does a very good job, and that includes BTB and RTB.  :) ;)

Hawk.