• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

New Players Looking For Welcome and Support

Started by Sim UK, November 05, 2016, 10:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubledragoncc

Flattery will get you everywhere Hawky lol.

I think it has paid off to have helped Mike(SimUK) see the full version of GPB with MODS and bought more than himself to the table. It is because the demo is not a good representation of what GPB really has under the hood. There are so many more things to it and this thread is really showing how great this community is.

I take my hat off to you all for making GPB what it is as it is as so rightly said by tchemi the best community in sim racing. If Piboso and us all can keep moving forward as we have in the last months, GPB has a marvelous future.

@SimUK I really look forward to your next review of GPB after you have had the chance to see the real beast it is. Thank you for taking the time I know you will to make a review that will surly bring fresh blood to the track  ;D

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

retroly

Quote from: Hawk on November 09, 2016, 04:02:06 PM
Personally at the moment I use a joystick in combination with my F430 foot pedals

I have a Saitek x52 joystick, and some G25 pedals. I might give them a bash see how it goes.

Hawk

November 09, 2016, 05:35:34 PM #32 Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:38:38 PM by Hawk
Quote from: retroly on November 09, 2016, 04:58:21 PM
Quote from: Hawk on November 09, 2016, 04:02:06 PM
Personally at the moment I use a joystick in combination with my F430 foot pedals

I have a Saitek x52 joystick, and some G25 pedals. I might give them a bash see how it goes.

Nice mate! Let us know how you get on with that.  ;) 8)
I have my direct steer setting set to 80% to better sync the angle of bike lean to the angle I lean my joystick handle; for me it just feels better like that in my mind, but experiment with the direct steer setting to get the bike lean response for your joystick how you like it.  :)

@DD: Absolutely agree and second everything you said there above. Keep up the good work mate! ;) 8)

Hawk.

loinen

November 27, 2016, 08:07:48 PM #33 Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:23:28 PM by loinen
Quote from: doubledragoncc on November 08, 2016, 09:59:23 AM
Ask on servers online for guys to help with setups or they may share one with you.

what is meant by 'setups'? bike setups or game setups? bike setups do not make any sense to a newbie, bike won't stop falling. so, this kind of advice is just useless.

the main reasons why newbie has problems with bike contol when trying go fast are:
- lack of certain feeling controller\bike (skill);
- lack of properly configured controller.

good recommendations regarding feeling the bike/controller are already written above. i'll try with controller configuration, maybe help someone.

anybody can be fast with gamepad or usual steering wheel - just need to configure it and get used to it.
here one might ask what is better. i started with gamepad and it was okay but now, after getting used to my wheel, i don't wanna go back to pad - wheel allows for more accurate control and its force feedback helps a lot (and gives more fun with all the effects). using a wheel is not so weird as may seem, just need some practice, it feels quite natural, not a proper bike controller ofc but still very nice and suitable.

basic configuration for gamepad (e.g. logitech F310 or F710 - best ones to use; XBOX one is fine as well but i hate its too soft triggers):
    throttle - right analogue trigger (also known as RT)
    front brake - left analogue trigger (LT) - this is your main tool to stop any bike :) some riders do not even use rear brake.
    rear brake can be bound to the button above right trigger (marked as RB usually on all pc gamepads) but strongly recommended to decrease its gain to 50% - see Advanced section -> Rear brake. this is because you can fall easily if rear brake is pushed fast with gain set as 100%.
    lean left/right - left stick
    clutch can be bound to the button above left trigger (marked as LB usually)
    gear up - 'A' button (green one), gear down - 'X' button (blue one) - in case you want to manually switch gears.
    rider leans (weight) can be bound to right stick respectively - if you do not use automatic rider forward/backward/left/right leaning.
and don't forget to calibrate: in Calibration window move sticks in all directions and press both triggers several times - check if everything is centered when you release sticks/triggers.

basic configuration for wheel (i use logitech G25 but can be easily adjusted to any other):
   throttle, front brake - the same pedals as always, third pedal can be used for clutch or rear brake depending on what is more important for you. NOTE: with good clutch control you can do very fast starts.
   lean - steering wheel, of course.. BUT there is one trick! you don't need all 900 degrees, it's better to set degrees of rotation to some around 200 via settings panel of your wheel (let me know if you do not know where it is). at least i tested different setups here and 200 is the best for me - i can do everything as fast as the bike requires when moving on high speeds.
   gears - paddle shifters.
   for rider leaning there is nothing suitable unfortunately but i use auto feature, no problem for me.
   calibration here is a bit different from gamepad's. as soon as degrees of rotation are set to 200, you should show this to the game: in Calibration, slowly rotate the wheel until you feel light counterstand of the wheel engine, rotate slowly both directions several times with attention to the point of reluctance. pedals should be pushed to the max several times. that's all.
   Force Feedback - this is a must use coz it's awesome thing. for fast monsters i use 25% - feels good, not overpowered as if you tried 100 which are impossible to drive at least with G25. 125cc allow for greater values, 25% feels not enough for them.

after few weeks of practice try to change Direct Lean setting and look at the effect, bike leaning changes a little with this setting, as soon as you got strong feeling of you bike, play with it, maybe you find that Direct Lean set to 100 is better for you (as i found this for me).

in addition: i ride in first person view these days - feels better in terms of bike movement/track perceiving but it may feel wrong and too hard for a newbie because of the camera movement and limitations of view, someone may feel that he does not understand what happens with bike, why it falls etc. if so - use 3rd person view but come back to train 1st person from time to time, probably you will find it's definitive both for best control and for immersion.