• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:28:47 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Hotlap Server change?

Started by dibu, January 01, 2014, 10:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dibu

Any interest in using the new bikes (R6, Scooter...) at the Hotlap server instead of the standard bikes?
Atm we can't register new bikes to the official stats but it would be possible to use the Hotlap Server for comparing times of the new bikes.

We have the 3 existing slots for bikes (GP1000, GP500, GP125) which could be used/exchanged.

Disadvantage: the Hotlap server can be used only by players with the offical Mod v1.1 installed.

If there is interest I need a little help from someone who is willing to create new logos for the result page http://hotlap.no-ip.info/   (in graphical affairs I'm not the big artist.)

neoraptor

I was talking about this with Ricco recently. Excellent idea !!
It would be really cool to register best laps that way ;)

I am also not very gifted with graphics, so I will not propose you my services  :D
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Confucius
>> Wiki to help modders <<

dibu

Quote from: neoraptor on January 01, 2014, 10:49:27 AM
I am also not very gifted with graphics, so I will not propose you my services  :D

PeterV already offered his help for the logos, thanks.  :)

Hawk

January 01, 2014, 11:40:02 AM #3 Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:07:33 PM by Hawk_UK
In theory I'm all up for it, with one exception; I presume seeing as there is no 125cc Mod bike, the standard 125cc "hot lap Event" slot would be lost to the "Scooter"? That would be a shame as the 125cc hot lap event slot has only recently been included to help generate interest in the 125cc bike?

I think an ideal alternative, if it is possible, would be to just have one "hot lap Event" Server able to run all standard default bike and all Mod bikes then to separate the results into their required hot lap categories for the published internet hot lap results? Would it be possible for a server script to do this? Obviously some script work would be required to set this up(I think?), but once done, this would surely save a lot of proceeding time and work in hot lap server work administration?

I'm not saying this should be done... I'm just thinking out loud of some solutions for consideration. :)

dibu

January 01, 2014, 12:25:10 PM #4 Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:32:35 PM by dibu
Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 01, 2014, 11:40:02 AM
In theory I'm all up for it, with one exception; I presume seeing as there is no 125cc Mod bike, the standard 125cc "hot lap Event" slot would be lost to the "Scooter"? That would be a shame as the 125cc hot lap event slot has only recently been included to help generate interest in the 125cc bike?

I think an ideal alternative, if it is possible, would be to just have one "hot lap Event" Server able to run all standard default bike and all Mod bikes then to separate the results into their required hot lap categories for the published internet hot lap results? Would it be possible for a server script to do this? Obviously some script work would be required to set this up(I think?), but once done, this would surely save a lot of proceeding time and work in hot lap server work administration?

I'm not saying this should be done... I'm just thinking out loud of some solutions for consideration. :)
This would be the ideal solution but ...
the Hotlap server with dataloggers, datamanager, SQL database and web-server was build by Random, I only gave my server to him.
I know how to operate it but I don't have exact informations about the database structures and other important details.
It would take very much time to analyse the system and I also don't want to risk loosing the hotlap server because of doing something wrong.
It's easy for me to exchange the three existing bike slots but building a parallel system for modded and standard bikes will be hard work.

The three existing slots can be combined freely. e.g. scooter, GP125, R6 or whatever you like.
It's also no problem to run the scooters at a KRP track and the other bikes at a GPB track.

JamoZ

Would be amazing to have a scooter & R6 hotlap server. This also would probably draw a bigger crowd to the 2 mods...

Hawk

Thank you for the explanation, dibu. If only "Random" would come back a help us out with this.... Here's hoping! ;D

dibu

Puuh  :P :P
was a lot of work but I think I found the way to run the Hotlap server with scooter, R6 and the three standard bikes.
The results site is still a bit WIP but Peter is working at the logos. I'll fix it tomorrow when I'm back from work.

Now 5 GPB Hotlap servers are online. Test them I need to know whether everything works stable.

HornetMaX

I propose Jan 2nd to be renamed to St. Dibu's day.

MaX.

Warlock

HornetMaX

One potentially silly question for dibu/Piboso: why do you have to have one separate hotlap server for each category 125, 500, 990 (without talking about the mods) ?

Ideally you should/could have a single hotlap (GPB) server, open to any category (ban scooters , of course :) ). Then the hotlap application should be able to categorize correctly the laptimes it receives, doesn't look hard.

I haven't any documentation of the Live Timing feature, so I cannot say for sure, but I may think that if Live Timing does not send the bike info to the hotlap app, then ...
But this could be easily solved and would make dibu's life a bit easier ...
If it does sent the info, then ...

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 01, 2014, 11:06:47 PM
One potentially silly question for dibu/Piboso: why do you have to have one separate hotlap server for each category 125, 500, 990 (without talking about the mods) ?

Ideally you should/could have a single hotlap (GPB) server, open to any category (ban scooters , of course :) ). Then the hotlap application should be able to categorize correctly the laptimes it receives, doesn't look hard.

I haven't any documentation of the Live Timing feature, so I cannot say for sure, but I may think that if Live Timing does not send the bike info to the hotlap app, then ...

MaX.

Snap, Max!..... Take a look at my post above. LOL

But dibu would need someone who can make a server script and database sql script to deal with the idea.

Dibu explains this in his post above.

Great minds think alike. Haha ;)

HornetMaX

Oups Hawk, you're right ...  :-[

If the issue is "only" server script and/or sql script I may be able to have a look. Of course, random back would be a much much better solution.

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 01, 2014, 11:16:32 PM
Great minds think alike. Haha ;)

I'd say "sleepy mind does double post" :)

MaX.

dibu

MaX.
Hehe, do you want to drive your GP1000 hotlap with alot of scooters in your way?

Technically it would be possible. The live-timing feature sends the bike category information.
For going this way the datalogger has to be completely rewritten (no source code as always ;) )

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 01, 2014, 11:16:32 PM
But dibu would need someone who can make a server script and database sql script to deal with the idea.
All server scripts are written by myself, here I know what to do. The SQL databases are another thing but after yestersdays action I know at least enough about the structures to add further Mod-bikes. If I need help I'll start crying 'MaaaaaaX' ;)

Because I've no source code, the two tools written by Random could become a problem in the future. One is communicating with the dedicated servers via live-timing ports and writing the collected data to files. The other tool is reading these files and merging the results into the SQL databases.

In the meantime Peter was very busy creating the logos for the new bikes - thank you very much.  :)

btw you can call me a scaredy-cat but to avoid any risk I created a new VM from a backup of hotlap server where I could do my tests before transfering the changes to the running server.  ;D

HornetMaX

Quote from: dibu on January 02, 2014, 05:06:30 PM
Ideally you should/could have a single hotlap (GPB) server, open to any category (ban scooters , of course :) ).
Hehe, do you want to drive your GP1000 hotlap with alot of scooters in your way?
No, that's why I said "ban scooters, of course". Anyway, not sure anybody with a sane mind woulds ride a scooter on a track suitable for real bikes.
That said, not sure all of our players qualify with respect to "with a sane mind" :)

Because I've no source code, the two tools written by Random could become a problem in the future. One is communicating with the dedicated servers via live-timing ports and writing the collected data to files. The other tool is reading these files and merging the results into the SQL databases.
Sad situation.

btw you can call me a scaredy-cat but to avoid any risk I created a new VM from a backup of hotlap server where I could do my tests before transfering the changes to the running server.  ;D
Sound practice. Brave-cats end up burned most of the time ...

MaX.