• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:19:58 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Track Downloads Database Admin Announcement

Started by Hawk, January 28, 2017, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubledragoncc

I have offered to do it no Borenlater you doughnuts lol

I want to know how to use the GPBOC server system to do this or need to get an online server with enough space and not cacky Dripbox lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 30, 2017, 11:30:14 AM
Lol maybe we are crossed here  ;D

Doh ! Right !

@DD: you don't need to host the files on your home hardware, you just need to upload them somewhere where they are accessible by everybody (mega or an ftp server).

Napalm Nick

But it is an interesting way to do it as he has a big fat server sat there just for GPB that is practically empty. Plus he will already have track folders full of tracks for each server. Would be nice if one of those was actually the database we all use?

It has a risk of course - a HDD crash which if not backed up as well as a 3rd party provider, could be nasty.

So for simplicity something like Mega, but for sexiness, a database on his "made for GPB" server?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

+ I think SIMPLICITY must be the key.

User clicks track link and downloads track

None of this "download BiTTorrent, set it up to these settings blah blah blah etc" : Too difficult or exasperating for most .

Simple Simple Simple.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

I have a new MEGA server with 50GB free just for this plus I will have 2 backups on the GPB server system and he new z270 system

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

doubledragoncc

No torrents and direct download is best anyways

DD

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 30, 2017, 11:51:08 AM
But it is an interesting way to do it as he has a big fat server sat there just for GPB that is practically empty. Plus he will already have track folders full of tracks for each server. Would be nice if one of those was actually the database we all use?

It has a risk of course - a HDD crash which if not backed up as well as a 3rd party provider, could be nasty.

So for simplicity something like Mega, but for sexiness, a database on his "made for GPB" server?
No. In general, you don't use a normal PC as file server (unless the traffic is really limited).
Also, bandwidth-wise you're better off uploading somewhere and let them handle the download traffic: when you host yourself, that traffic hits your PC and fiber line ...

I really see no advantage for him/us if he hosts locally vs he uploads somewhere (unless he has a real file server and a dedicated line).

Napalm Nick

So you are going Mega after all that? Lol! 

Hmm 50Gb, you might have to put hand in pocket again. Hmm a disadvantage.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 30, 2017, 12:08:13 PM
So you are going Mega after all that? Lol! 

Hmm 50Gb, you might have to put hand in pocket again. Hmm a disadvantage.
Why ?

Napalm Nick

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 30, 2017, 12:31:21 PM
Cos when he takes on the BikeMod ...... ;D
He creates another mega account (likely, a new mail address is all you need) for another free 50GB of space :)

Napalm Nick

BOBR6 84

if its possible to keep the current Mega track database going.. i can't take it on (i would fuck it all up) but i will pay for it...

doubledragoncc

used the same email address as other mega account

I dont want to eat into my internet bandwidth for the servers for GPB

Dont worry I got it coveredone way or another just need help making it all work as best as possible for you guys

DD

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on January 30, 2017, 02:13:05 PM
if its possible to keep the current Mega track database going.. i can't take it on (i would fuck it all up) but i will pay for it...
Mega is free (up to 50GB), nothing to pay there man.