• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:27:16 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Paint Organisation?

Started by JamoZ, December 27, 2013, 09:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 08, 2014, 09:55:59 AM
As I understand it, JamoZ is basically going to do that by having majority of paints in a separate paints folder for others to decide if they want to download them individually or not.
That would be fine, but it doesn't sounds like that from his last post (in reply to Klax75).

MaX.

JamoZ

Ok i hope this makes it more clear...

Users will have the following 4 options :

1 : download the whole package, bike versions & paints

2 : At the same link download just the complete and updated paint folders

3 : Ignore the package and download updated bikes and their default paints from the author on the forum

4 : Just browse the paint thread and grab whatever paints they like

Noone is forced to use anything as every aspect of the package is available as a separate download.

The only idea i can think of is provide 3 kinds of downloads, Paint folders only, Modded bikes only, and a complete package combining those 2. But i really can't see a reason why people just wouldn't want to have all the latest paints provided automatically...

HornetMaX

Quote from: JamoZ on January 08, 2014, 10:52:03 AM
The only idea i can think of is provide 3 kinds of downloads, Paint folders only, Modded bikes only, and a complete package combining those 2.
1 archive with modded bikes with their own basic paints + 1 archive with all the other paints (or eventually 1 archive per bike with the extra paints).
It's not worth the effort to have a 3rd option (an archive with everything), in my opinion.

But i really can't see a reason why people just wouldn't want to have all the latest paints provided automatically...
Because 1 paint file is 3-8Mb and if you put GPB on a 64 or 128GB SSD, space can become a problem.

MaX.

iVolution

January 08, 2014, 03:37:03 PM #33 Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:38:41 PM by iVolution
Quote from: HornetMaX on January 08, 2014, 11:26:32 AM
The only idea i can think of is provide 3 kinds of downloads, Paint folders only, Modded bikes only, and a complete package combining those 2.
1 archive with modded bikes with their own basic paints + 1 archive with all the other paints (or eventually 1 archive per bike with the extra paints).
It's not worth the effort to have a 3rd option (an archive with everything), in my opinion.

But i really can't see a reason why people just wouldn't want to have all the latest paints provided automatically...
Because 1 paint file is 3-8Mb and if you put GPB on a 64 or 128GB SSD, space can become a problem.

I think the third option is critical because in the end we want to encourage everybody to have all the paints. If they do not care to download a bigger file, but do not want the extra work in encorporating the paints seperately, the third option is necessary. It should be just as easy to have everything (mods+paints) as to install just the mods.

For each 500 paints it will take on average 2GB of storage with an already high average of 4MB per paint. I do not really share the opinion of Hawk that we should let everybody have as much personal paints as they would like to. As some people simply create more paints then others, having 10 personal paints of the same person for a single bike, whilst he is probably only using the most recent one, is only creating extra storage for the database and will result in a shitload of unnecessary entries in the ingame selection menu. Personal paints are mostly for personal use only, i guess no one is going to use them except for that person and their existence in the database is purely so that others can see your paint, not do display your whole collection of historical paint schemes.

This of course would not hold for the general paints (replica's, fantasy bike's, etc.) since everybody is going to make use of these and there is never too much of a choice.

As for the deletion or filtering of already existing paints that i mentioned earlier, I was thinking of paints that are of such a low quality that most would agree that should not have a place in the database. I can't mention a specific example but i recall seeing some "my first paint test" sort of paints that I cannot imagine somebody actually using on track. Yes this is pretty subjective but i hope you get the idea.

Klax75

January 08, 2014, 04:13:32 PM #34 Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:25:49 PM by Klax75
I don't see why you have to group paint packs with Mod Bike packs? It should be two different things. I am all for paint organization and I like having them all. Personally though I only use my personal paints. But I got the others so when on track I can see them.

It makes no sense to me loading the MOD bikes pack with paints. So even we may have MotoGP MOD Bike Pack, World SuperBike MOD Bikes Pack, and so on. But if I don't want the extra paints that you're saying I have to hunt down the authors website go searching for different forums. And try to find the stand bike .zip file.

Paint Organization should have nothing to do with MOD Bikes. Eventually the bike packs will get huge hundreds of mega bites, then having paints tacked on to the download adds even more to the download.

It doesn't make any sense. Up to date MOD Bike packs should be one thing, and Paint Organization packs should be something else. I want the most up to date bikes in one file. And then I can choose later if I want all the paints for whatever bike pack I downloaded.

We need choices.

I go and download MotoGP Mod Bike Pack (Which in the future make contain all the classes and models of bikes)

Then I can decide to choose later if I want MotoGP Official Team Paints Pack, MotoGP Fantasy Team Paints Pack, MotoGP Personal / Player Team Paints Pack.

Every make and model of bike will have it's own paints. But there should be the three categories of paints per bike.

To break it down.

MotoGP Bike Pack has base paint jobs thats it.

Now in the paint Organization site I can look under MotoGP Paints, which would give me a listing for each bike with the three categories.

iVolution

Quote from: Klax75 on January 08, 2014, 04:13:32 PM
It doesn't make any sense. Up to date MOD Bike packs should be one thing, and Paint Organization packs should be something else. I want the most up to date bikes in one file. And then I can choose later if I want all the paints for whatever bike pack I downloaded.
I agree that it makes sense to have a seperation between those, but having the third option where everything is combined makes the installation a lot easier. As Jamoz said, I am also a person that does not care how large file sizes get. I just get the newest bikemod once in a while and i don't have to bother with installing the newest paints, and I guess we are not the only ones. The option 1 and 2 still cater to you and similar people that want to have the choice on what to install.

HornetMaX

Quote from: iVolution on January 08, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
I agree that it makes sense to have a seperation between those, but having the third option where everything is combined makes the installation a lot easier.
Well, if whoever is maintaining the database/mega account is willing to upload stuff twice or thrice, fine to me.

But having 2 separate archives (1 for Bike MODs and their basic paints + 1 for Extra Paints) does not "make the installation a lot harder": unzipping 2 files instead of 1 file doesn't seem like a big deal.

On the other hand, if people have to download a large archive and manually delete the parts they don't want, that's very messy.

So, as far as the option to download separately MOD bikes (with basic paints) and Extra paints is there, whichever number of options is fine to me.
Notice however that more options --> more work for the lucky one that administer this stuff.

MaX.

iVolution

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 08, 2014, 06:21:09 PM
Quote from: iVolution on January 08, 2014, 04:20:04 PM
I agree that it makes sense to have a seperation between those, but having the third option where everything is combined makes the installation a lot easier.
Well, if whoever is maintaining the database/mega account is willing to upload stuff twice or thrice, fine to me.

But having 2 separate archives (1 for Bike MODs and their basic paints + 1 for Extra Paints) does not "make the installation a lot harder": unzipping 2 files instead of 1 file doesn't seem like a big deal.

On the other hand, if people have to download a large archive and manually delete the parts they don't want, that's very messy.

So, as far as the option to download separately MOD bikes (with basic paints) and Extra paints is there, whichever number of options is fine to me.
Notice however that more options --> more work for the lucky one that administer this stuff.

MaX.
Let's see how long JamoZ is willing to put the necessary work in  ;D

JamoZ

Try this link, paints are not renamed yet but this is the general idea....

https://mega.co.nz/#F!LwYHmKbJ!R4UaHGAZ6NQ37KDLSovS4A

Hawk

Quote from: JamoZ on January 08, 2014, 07:43:07 PM

Looks good to me, Jamoz. ;D 8)

I think this should satisfy everyone. Nice job, mate! ;) ;D

JamoZ

It`s really easy to maintain honestly. All i need now is a name template, so me and ivo can rename the paints, and let everyone use that standard.

And then a nice place where people can post their paints in a organized fashion..we`re nearly there ;)

Warlock

Quote from: JamoZ on January 08, 2014, 07:43:07 PM

Thx Jamoz , looks good to me

HornetMaX