• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:01:02 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Underdampened Steering

Started by Tosteetos, April 20, 2017, 01:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tosteetos

So I've been playing GP bikes for around a month already. Regular gamer, also a half dedicated track rider, I I'd like to think I have a good idea of how riding/racing should feel like. Understanding that GP bikes is a serious simulator and that the difficulty level and realism is elevated compared to anything else out there (love this by the way).

So on to my point: What the hell am I doing wrong? I always feel like the front end is overly wobbly, transitioning from one side to the other has to be done pussy footing around because it just feels weird, jumpy, not smooth, wants to tank slap. I'm not sure what it is but  it almost feels like the steering comes from the middle of the bike and not from the front. The front end feels reactive more so than a driving factor in making the bike steer (if that makes sense?).

In real life you cure a lot of the steering lightness and tankslapping tendencies by ways of a steering dampener, maybe it would be a good idea to introduce something similar into the game?

Also what is up with the bike sort of freezing when you accelerate hard on a straight while leaning from say left to right? you have to really let off the gas to be able to fully pick up the bike and swing it to the other side.  I can understand the gyro effect will definitely make the bike heavier to lean, but it actually is a smooth experience, not a freeze and snap? 

Having a lot of fun with the game, but it would be a lot more rewarding if this could be sorted. I'm bringing this up not to bash the game, but to understand why it does that and to help make it better.

Hawk

Hi Tosteetos.

It would help if you specify what bike your using and what track you were using if any specific track was used. Also would help if we know what controller your using.  :)

Usually the bike handling problems you are having will be down to bike setup. For the tank-slapping issue, try increasing your rear rebound suspension settings.

Not being able to lean the bike while you are accelerating hard issue: That will be when your front wheel lifts off the ground - It's something I've mentioned before and hope that Piboso will work on at some stage, because you should be able to lean the bike while the front wheel is in the air, but believe me, it is better than it used to be, and remember that GPB is still a beta product(a work in progress).
Throttle control is the key in GPB to control the bike as in real life. As you practice you will learn to control the throttle very well and be able to control this issue without having to think about it, but I do understand what your saying.  ;)
If I'm not mistaken, if you use DST steering method it is possible to continue to lean the bike while the front wheel is in the air? Maybe someone else could confirm this?  ;)

The bike feeling sluggish when leaning from left to right and vice versa: All bikes have different characteristics depending on your bike setup, but generally with setup you can make your bike easier to lean or harder to lean by altering the front forks rake angle, ride heights and suspension settings, but these settings will affect the bikes stability in other areas too, so it depends on what handling you require for any particular track and the type of corners the track has.

Hope that helps mate.  ;)

Hawk.

passerBy

Not sure if this is enough of a proof. I never practiced wheelies/endos until today, since I had my hands full with direct steering already :)
This is the best result so far I could achieve trying to turn the bars during a sustained wheelie. Ok, maybe not too "sustained" at 1/16 of real time :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/IQjjjcwT0Lw

I don't use the mode Klax and Max coined "DST" (I prefer to call the modes DS1 and DS2, respectively), because I feel that the second mode is much better, easier to learn and provides the most natural direct steer riding experience if used alongside an FFB wheel. So, this is the directsteer=2 mode.

Another thing to consider here, in MX Bikes whips are possible even in the default steering, or at least I suppose that's what is used in the majority of the videos on YouTube . Both titles most likely share a lot of code. I don't think whips are possible without considerations on the front wheel's freewheeling gyroscopic effect. Naturally, you'd expect GPB having this implemented too.

Tosteetos

Hawk, thanks for the reply mate!

I will try to make some video clips to explain it. It happens more notably with some bikes than others. Any recommendations on software to record and upload to Youtube? 

Also, passerBy, is that number at the top right the frames per second? how can I display that while playing?

Thanks!

HornetMaX

Quote from: Tosteetos on April 25, 2017, 01:03:37 AM
I will try to make some video clips to explain it. It happens more notably with some bikes than others. Any recommendations on software to record and upload to Youtube? 
OBS studio (free). MSI Afterburner (also free) is easier to setup but has a bigger impact on framerates (mind, that is important only if you record while playing, if you record while displaying a reply, it's not an issue).

Quote from: Tosteetos on April 25, 2017, 01:03:37 AM
Also, passerBy, is that number at the top right the frames per second? how can I display that while playing?
Ctrl+F