• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:11 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Menu Improvement (Suggestion)

Started by CapeDoctor, May 13, 2017, 09:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeDoctor

Hi PiBoSo, and all it may concern.... 

hope this hasn't been mentioned already, i didn't find it after an admittedly perfunctory look...  ;D
a little something that has always been bothering me about how the menu screens work, something which is hopefully not too difficult to implement.
currently, whenever you go from the Main GPB menu to Testing menu, you can then still go back and forth between the Bike selection screen menu and the Testing setup screen where you can select Track/Settings and such.
Then press Start, you get the Syncing load (what exactly is being synced at this point, if i am staying offline, as a side question, lol) and then you go racing.
Now, when you come back to Pits, or want to leave that test for whatever reason, you select Back,and you are sent back all the way to the main GPB menu.
It would be much nicer if, when we select Back to exit the test, we first go back to the Testing setup screen, to maybe select another bike, track. conditions, whatever, rather than being sent all the way out of Testing entirely...
to me, that would be a much more user-friendly menu option.
thanks for consideration. ;)

oh, big applause for the new multi-option reset function for crashed bikes. classy solution, methinks :D

vali_grad

May 13, 2017, 09:55:48 AM #1 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:58:03 AM by vali_grad
I think "syncing" loads the track itself (like bike scroll menu category loads the full bike), its way bigger than the bike, when you scroll down the track menu it loads only the image/layout and settings of that track.
"back" to main menu  clears the cached memory with current track, it does not hang into memory like in other games/sims until you change settings
new sim in town ? ping me !

CapeDoctor

well, i get the clearing cache memory thing, but still, there are many instances when i just want to maybe change time.temperature/weather/bikes, and come back to the same track, i can't.
atm we have to leave Testing completely, for the slightest change.

vali_grad

Quote from: CapeDoctor on May 13, 2017, 10:21:49 AM
well, i get the clearing cache memory thing, but still, there are many instances when i just want to maybe change time.temperature/weather/bikes, and come back to the same track, i can't.
atm we have to leave Testing completely, for the slightest change.

who does not want that ?  :-\  don't know any game capable of doing that at the moment, maybe arcades like nfs world/driver san francisco when you change car by touching .
In sim games it seems to be a lot more complicated cause you want core mechanics to change , big parts of enviroment, so you affect that data in RAM.
Developers cheat a lot in games to give use more complicated scenarios for current hardware, think only about file compressions and data flow between system components that are  hammered to comply with current transfer speeds, we're bound to hardware performance that is great, but not scifi :P

CapeDoctor

look, all i am saying is that the way it works in the menu atm is counter-intuitive.
i have to leave Testing to join Testing.
there must be (because many games have it) a way to effect changes from the Testing menu screen without having to leave it.
i understand that stuff needs to be loaded in, and it can't all be done dynamically.
i'm not asking for that to happen, i'm simply asking for a change in the way the menu screen works. as i said, currently it just feels silly to have to exit Testing only to then immediately enter it again.
i have some other menu improvement suggestions, and also a request for added shortcut functionality during replays, but one thing at a time for now, i guess.
or should i just lump all my ideas into one in the suggestions thread? might do that, i think....

vali_grad

Quote from: CapeDoctor on May 31, 2017, 05:07:49 AM
look, all i am saying is that the way it works in the menu atm is counter-intuitive.
i have to leave Testing to join Testing.
there must be (because many games have it) a way to effect changes from the Testing menu screen without having to leave it.
i understand that stuff needs to be loaded in, and it can't all be done dynamically.
i'm not asking for that to happen, i'm simply asking for a change in the way the menu screen works. as i said, currently it just feels silly to have to exit Testing only to then immediately enter it again.
i have some other menu improvement suggestions, and also a request for added shortcut functionality during replays, but one thing at a time for now, i guess.
or should i just lump all my ideas into one in the suggestions thread? might do that, i think....

well currently on my desktop I have only first person shooters and open world games that change assets on the fly . For FPS is easy to swap weapons, cause firearm have small files (few polys, textures, basic animation), open world game loads every asset in RAM, and/or fades them in/out by LevelOfDetail circle, best example is GTA . 
So for GP you want both, changing assets & parameters within the chosen asset, while maintaining a decent simulation environment .... kinda big task for small dev :P 
I guess this will be possible software/hardware wise after the big VR wave, when anyone can afford something way better than Vive/Oculus (these 2 are stalling atm) .

tchemi

Do you remember guys, that PiBoSo makes everything quite alone ??
Yes, We all would like to see a lot of interesting thing in GPB. But This is the kind of technology that has been achieved after decades of dedicated work from very big teams. And it is still quite young.

It's not impossible, but a weather engine is not a piece of cake to implement and integrate in a software.

CapeDoctor

tchemi, we are well aware PiB is but one mere mortal.
nothing here is being insisted upon.
this whole section is devoted to 'Suggestions/Wishlists', so that is all this is.
a 'would be nice' list, so to speak.
i still 'play' GPB more than anything else on my PC, any slight menu issues are not going to stop me, lol.
also bear in mind, i always try to take into account the end user and  initial perceptions, so any suggestions i make are ultimately with the aim of making the product better/more appealing for the 'customer' and as a result, more sales for PiBoSo. that's the aim, anyway.
i would suggest that this particular section of the forum is the wrong place to tell us off for making suggestions, lol  ;D

QuoteIt's not impossible, but a weather engine is not a piece of cake to implement and integrate in a software.

sorry? how did you make the jump from menu change to weather engine?    :o

anyho, other options i think would be great to see include:
in replays, we currently have shortcut keys for all the camera movements, which is great for screenshots without any 'HUD' elements
it would be great if we could also have shortcut keys for the replay controls themselves in this 'HUD' free scene - forward, rewind, pause, frame by frame, etc. especially useful for film-makers.
cheers!  8)

HornetMaX

Quote from: CapeDoctor on June 03, 2017, 07:04:40 AM
anyho, other options i think would be great to see include:
in replays, we currently have shortcut keys for all the camera movements, which is great for screenshots without any 'HUD' elements
it would be great if we could also have shortcut keys for the replay controls themselves in this 'HUD' free scene - forward, rewind, pause, frame by frame, etc. especially useful for film-makers.
Uh, we already have that. While you have the replay "HUD" up, click on the small ? and you'll see all the shortcuts.

Or I haven't understood what you mean.

CapeDoctor

Max, indeed, you are right. i only looked in the Settings section, didn't click on that little '?' symbol to find it.   :P
yes, that's exactly what i was asking about.
so, kindly disregard my last request, as it has already been implemented. cheers!  ;D

HornetMaX

I usually rudely disregard but I'm willing to make an exception for this time :)

CapeDoctor

another thing i'd love to see in the sim, is the ability to have more bike-specific stats, such as best lap times for each bike/category for tracks.
currently, we only have the overall best lap times available.
for example, you're never gonna see an GP80 lap record anywhere, barring possibly a little go-kart track..
so yes, this request is for individual bike stats to be available. bike/category - whichever is easiest to implement.
also, more stats such as overall mileage done on any specific bike? is that possible?
i guess this is more of a 'would be nice' thing, so those of us who spend too much time with the sim can be reminded of that... ;D
thanks for reading, and have a great day!  8)