• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Speak To Me About DST / DSA...

Started by uberslug, November 07, 2017, 12:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uberslug

I have been watching a fair amount of front wheel view replay of late after riding around in direct lean mode. While the replay isn't granular enough to truly see what is going on it looks as though the front wheel follows real life movements [counter steer to initiate lean, turn in to hold lean, turn in further to decrease lean - yeah, I know, all of these can be affected by braking force, throttle position, body position, center of gravity, tire pressure, etc., etc., etc., but, these items only affect the nuances, not the basics].

Is the premise behind DST / DSA to mimic real world inputs? I have not experienced enough DST / DSA frustration in order to figure it out.

Does it [theoretically] truly mimic real world inputs? In other words, does one have to counter steer to initiate lean, and then steer into the turn to hold lean as one does on a real bike? I realize no one has truly mastered it but I am curious.

Is there any documentation that explains its purpose and implementation?

poumpouny

It mimic real world, especially in DSA, yes like in real world i start by lean my rider in the corner in then counter steer to have my desired lean angle then steer back to middle or a bit at corner angle to hold the lean. i have to make video and post it in my thread about DST/DSA ...

http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=5335.msg81421#msg81421

uberslug

I read through your postings and found them very informative, thank you.

I will give it a try.

davidboda46

I have a custom rig, like DD but hell of lot crappier. I use what I call "fake counter steering". Basically, I have flipped the left and right input, so psychically steering left is mapped to steering right and vice versa. It works okay with my steering bar but I'm pretty sure it would not give the "right feeling" with a gamepad.

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

poumpouny

November 09, 2017, 11:26:45 AM #4 Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:33:54 AM by poumpouny
David, i know your "thing" and since it is mounted on a FFB wheel, why not use real DST/DSA. if you are afraid of the FFB, it is completely different compared to the Normal Steering FFB, wich i think affect a lot your driving, the FFB with DST/DSA is lot more natural and you really feel the bike's weight, especially when you fight with the bike to keep it up on corner !

The thing about countersteering is that you counter steer then go back to a "neutral//mid" steering when the lean angle is reached, with reverse input you just counter steer and hold/ Also the realy great thing about DST/DSA is that you have to really fight each corner, not only the trajectory and the speed but you have to know your lean agle limit, wich make every corner more tastefull !

davidboda46

poumpouny: I understand your point. I tried it a long time ago and it was soooo difficult. The biggest problem is controlling the riders movement. I can theoretically do it from my mounted gamepad circuit board but the thumb is in an strange angle and it's not precise enough. It mostly goes from 0 to 100 with a dash of forward or backward when I really just want to lean the rider (let's say) 70%-ish to one side or the other. When you ad trying to control the steering, the clutch and everything else it just becomes to much for my little brain ;) I'm still having a hard time throttle blipping on down shifts, can't keep the damn brake pressure constant because my fingers move to much over the front brake lever when I blip the throttle...

BTW: I have force feedback turned off in-game because it is way too strong, even when it's set to 25%. It's activated on the steering wheel but that is just because it ads a little resistens when you turn (not enough though). I've asked Piboso if ut would be possible to make the FF option in-game from 0-100 with smaller steps but I have not heard anything about it since... 

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46 
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

poumpouny

The FFB is as you said too strong event on 25%, but it depends a lot on wich bike you ride, i think the best bike for DST/DSA is the gp 500 bikes (the default or the mods all is cool, i ussually use the honda). With Manu's moto GP mod, the wobbling is just too strong and hard braking is definitely impossible, i thought it had to do with the bike wieght but i don't have so many woobling with WSBK bikes ! If you still feel it's to strong with gp 500, try to ride with moto 3, the FFB is considerably low and is way lot easier to ride with, the problem with moto 3 is that it has smaller lean angle capabilities than gp 500 or moto gp bikes. Anyway Pib need to lower the FFB minimum force.