• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Game runs like crap. (seriously help me please)

Started by connorhall70, April 21, 2018, 06:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeDoctor

a good point, dd - worn out thermal paste on cpu/heatsink can cause huge issues, overheating of course being the main issue.

Hawk

I can definitely understand a CPU running sluggishly if it was overheating, hence it picked up performance when the heat-sink seating paste was renewed, but I was under the impression with CPU's that if any of the components on the chip were damaged so they were not actually working then the CPU just wouldn't work at all as all the components are required to be working for it to function at all?

HornetMaX

Run GPB, ait for it to "run like crap", look at CPU temperature.

And you will immediately know if you have a thermal issue.

connorhall70

I've just Cleaned all the dust out from my entire pc, and i wanna say it feels less sluggish but i havent played GP bikes since... I replaced the Thermal paste about 6 months ago so i highly doubt its a thermal issue, although it definitely WAS a thermal issue, there was so much dust underneath the fan just sitting on the heatsink so im 100% sure that is why id been having a few overheating issues recently... but even before i had overhating issues GP bikes was doing this... im about to try it now...
GanjaGod

connorhall70

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 25, 2018, 06:46:11 PM

65 degrees max, still get frame drops in the same place at assen... 2 places in the first sector, and the flat out part towards the final chicane is probably the worst, drops to 40's... like i said all temps are fine, ram usage fine, nothing is hitting 100% usage though... wtf?
GanjaGod

Wimp #97

Quote from: connorhall70 on April 25, 2018, 09:03:16 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on April 25, 2018, 06:46:11 PM

65 degrees max, still get frame drops in the same place at assen... 2 places in the first sector, and the flat out part towards the final chicane is probably the worst, drops to 40's... like i said all temps are fine, ram usage fine, nothing is hitting 100% usage though... wtf?

My pc is the solution to this problem, I get max 40fps so if I can't notice the framedrops  8)
Wimp #97

Champion Moto2 International Cup 2018

HornetMaX

Weird.

You could drop the AA to 8x (16x makes little difference visually and costs quite a lot), but it's still weird.

Did you play with NVidia control panel settings ? Maybe worth a *clean* install of the NVidia drivers.

h106frp

It may be a track model design/3D engine issue, through various track building experiments and testing with CAWS we found the design of some tracks just appears to make some systems really struggle when it will run fine on other systems with comparable hardware and so far we have failed to isolate the cause of the problem but it would appear that it must be related to particular windows system configurations.

connorhall70

Quote from: h106frp on April 26, 2018, 11:58:38 AM
It may be a track model design/3D engine issue, through various track building experiments and testing with CAWS we found the design of some tracks just appears to make some systems really struggle when it will run fine on other systems with comparable hardware and so far we have failed to isolate the cause of the problem but it would appear that it must be related to particular windows system configurations.

Ill just deal with it then, its not stopping me playing at all and it doesnt ruin it for me sooooo yeh!

To everyone else going on about video options n shit, i have a 1070 thats around a year old. its still in immaculate condition and never been pushed because my cpu limits it. i have tried putting the game to lowest everything BESIDES view distance and i still get the same issue, so i pinned it down to something to do with view distance since on low, the framedrops are practically gone, they go from 5fp drop to 1fps drop...

So like above said, could just the map, it doesnt happen on other tracks much, just a select few. and yer i have all the tracks for gpbikes installed, so maybe because i have all bikes and tracks installed along with maxhud which i think can be an issue because i had an issue with performance and max hud on beta 11 where certain things would drop my fps by a considerable amount.

So it could be my GpBikes folder being 47.8GB? LOL
GanjaGod

Grooveski

My machine's dropping frames at the kink near the end of the lap as well.  It's not bad when I'm on my own but it's bound to be worse in a race.  Will see in practice over the next couple of days whether I'll be able to take part in the race on sunday...   :-\

Other places where it happens:
Spa (the version that's been around for a while - not the new LS version) at the last chicane.
...and about 100m either side of the chicane.  It's quite a long problem area there.
I've suffered through a few races here but but don't plan to again - it gets progressively worse as more riders are added until it's a total pain in the ass.

Fuji - turning through the last corner onto the start/finish straight.
...and at the other right-hander a couple of corners before that - just before the hairpin left.
Fuji's pretty much unplayable for me - even on my own in a testing session.  Those are the only bits it's bad at - but it's really bad.

The new release of Nordschleife_LS(even the low-poly version) at various places.
...which is the bummer to end all bummers, but might be a clue as to what's causing it because the previous version of NORD_LS ran great.   While getting rid of the graffiti flickering, h106frp says he used some pretty big textures during the road remapping.

There's somewhere at Losail too - turn 9-10 I thnk it is.  The bit where you can see the stadium in the distance in front of you.

I presumed for a while it had something to do with the stadiums/pit building poly density.  My computer's a bit of an antique these days and the starts straights tend to be the most detailed areas of the models.
It's odd though that it's only a few tracks it happens at.  Plenty of others have detailed pit models and work fine.

If it was related to texture sizes that'd maybe make more sense.  Would only take a single skin to cause it and would explain why the likes of Spa(which doesn't look anything special polycount-wise) can be so bad.

This one's a long-shot but it crossed my mind one day and seems worth a mention:
A lot of games these days use instancing for their crowd models.  When you bring them into a modeling package during conversion you don't get any crowd at all...
...but you do get a point at each of the insertion positions.
So yeah - what I wondered was could there be tracks where the points haven't been deleted?
...and could GPB be having a had time because of them?
Like I say - long-shot.

P.S.  In the Spa races in the past I've had everything at the lowest settings in graphic options, including AA - which I usually have on 4x.  Didn't really make any difference.