• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

November 25, 2020, 01:36:39 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

The M30x/MCCC/Lumberbar

Started by Chris_Beeves, May 06, 2019, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris_Beeves

Today I got it running! :D
The new fork legs look better too.

Made a "will do for now" desk mount. Now I need to reconnect all hand and foot controls. Had it all on "breadboards" before, so I took it all apart to make a circuit board instead. I wish I had documented it before I did.. Some wheel reinvention to do now.

I had to try..

VSMaster

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on March 07, 2020, 09:12:26 PMToday I got it running! :D
The new fork legs look better too.

Made a "will do for now" desk mount. Now I need to reconnect all hand and foot controls. Had it all on "breadboards" before, so I took it all apart to make a circuit board instead. I wish I had documented it before I did.. Some wheel reinvention to do now.

That looks awesome man
We want the test video!
Always on the edge

Chris_Beeves

The first test video is super exciting!

I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Ok, got it all up and running tonight!
Got some setting up and testing to do, but everything works!
:D
I had to try..

TimboC137

Thats so awesome. Congrats, man 

Chris_Beeves

Had some time to play around with the controller a bit today.
Everything seems to do its' job fine, but the settings for force feedback is a pain.
I'm using the M2 and a CBR600 -05 to test. I tried modifying the P/D parameters for the bikes but that didn't seem to do much difference. Turning the FFB level down to under 50% seems to help though.

I rebuilt a computer PSU for the controller, but it keeps shutting down for unknown reasons. Tried a laptop charger instead and that also cuts out. Probably something to do with the big-ish motor and back currents. Will have to learn more about that.

Drove around a little on the "Trial" course and sometimes t really felt like driving! If I can just capture those moments and figure out what makes them work..
I had to try..

h106frp

March 11, 2020, 11:50:23 PM #51 Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:28:31 AM by h106frp
Using a switch mode supply the back EMF generated as the motor stops or reverses will be seen at the PSU output and briefly cause the PSU to shut-down (it is designed that way as a safety feature).
Ideally you need a servo brake module, this will capture the back EMF in a large capacitor before it reaches the PSU and re-uses the stored energy when the servo drives again.

This is a commercial offering but too pricey;
https://www.applied-motion.com/products/accessories/rc-050

The circuit for this used to be on the web but I cannot find it now. It uses a comparator to trigger a mosfet that diverts the back EMF into a big cap with a brake /discharge resistor connected to it.

Chris_Beeves

Quote from: h106frp on March 11, 2020, 11:50:23 PMUsing a switch mode supply the...
Thanks h! I'll look into that.
Tried just using a diode on the power output, but that seemed to trip the motor driver instead.
I guess there are no short cuts here..

Played around a bit with the settings and it feels like I'm onto something, but feedback in the center is very weak..
Anyway, here's a short demo of how it works today;

I also took apart my "race hat", the hat I put LED's on and used with Opentrack, and made a clip for my headphones instead. Works great!
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

I have been testing different settings, bikes and tracks. It's funny, the tracks I have actually ridden irl I make the same exact mistakes in game (with a lot less crashing irl).
The Cup R6 (by?) and Javi's 125 are the two best bikes that I've tried so far. Ffb is still buggy, I have to set it under 40% or it starts oscillating mostly when upright and braking.

Starting to realize I have used a less than optimal motor in the controller. It's quite notchy and I think that that is the main problem causing the weak center feedback.

At times it's loads of fun though! :D
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Tidied up the wiring by the arduino that I use for the hand and foot controls and went from "breadboard" to a proper prototype board where all the controls are now detachable.

Makes it a lot easier to store and there is less noise in the signals.

Looking into making some kind of seat that works better than my piano chair now.. It's not very ergonomic at the moment.
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

With the great programming help of @maggikk22, today I got my knee draggers working!
I use an Arduino Nano and a program running in "Processing" (maggikk22's magic).

With the little knob (potentiometer) I can set on the fly what angle they activate. Silly fun!
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

I've been trying to make the knee sliders wireless the past few days. Been working on a 433MHz solution that I got working very well with just LED's, but lost all range when running the motors. Next test is to use Wifi units instead and use UDP broadcasting. Should give me a lot better range, but it is a lot more complicated..
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

The DC motor isn't quite doing it for me.. Making new plans:

Printing some details the coming days.

Does anyone recognize the motor?
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Got some parts together:

The software side is a bit more tricky on this one. Getting som great help over at the xsimulator community though.

Not much lumber left now!
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Had the first test run today with the new motor unit. Massive improvement! Feels like it has 10 times the power and resolution, even though it should only be about double in theory.

It was quite the challenge wiring and soldering the little motor driver card. Impressive how strong it is for its size.
I had to try..