• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:33:55 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Soften CLUTCH

Started by guigui404, June 14, 2019, 08:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guigui404

Hi guys !
I'm getting in trouble each time I do a multiple day trackday , I explain myself , the second day I always suffer so much from my fingers , and it's really , so much suffering each time I take the clutch lever.
So I just wanted to know if there is a way to soften the clutch lever

(Many people say you'll accomodate to it , but I only do trackday , mean I don't ride this bike enough time to accomodate to this atm)

Thanks for reading :)

HornetMaX

If the lever uses a cable, try to lube it, it may help.
Other than that you can exercise at home (hand grips, they have them @ Decathlon).
Or get a quickshifter installed on your bike.

P.S.
Or buy a bike with a hydraulic clutch or a quickshifter ;D

doubledragoncc

What levers you have is important to. Do you have dogleg levers and are they adjustable for leverage on the lever as making the lever closer reduces the energy needed to use it.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

guigui404

Thanks for the answer ! ah shit  so as my father told me it seems that the only real thing to do is exercice my hands

doubledragoncc

There is a device that makes it lighter if I remember right. Its like a small gear unit that goes on the clutch lever unit. I will have a look for you

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

doubledragoncc

June 15, 2019, 11:14:43 AM #6 Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:41:31 AM by doubledragoncc
Thats a new one on me teeds but good idea. The one I know of was more for older harleys with their terrible hard clutch and goes directly on the bars but think it was also for jap stuff and more

Although its for offroad its probably useable for a road bike and more just an idea as gives 40% lighter pull

Ballards Pivot Assist Lever

Then a clever hydraulic unit to operate a cable clutch might be modifiable?

https://www.magura.com/en/components/powersports/hydraulicclutchsystems/productdetailpage/?p=1852

Just a few ideas you could work with

DD

doubledragoncc

Thats why I think the hydraulic conversion would be best as it would be reliable. The video of it I watched the guy did no adjustments or work on it in 3 years so for trackdays a good option if you can make brackets to fit your bike as it is mainly for offroad and small road bikes but I think the Idea is great. Not cheap but it depends what you want and you pay for what you get lol

DD

matty0l215

Worth a shot to start with

Oh also, learn how to clutchless shift. At least up the gears. Down is difficult ;D
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

Quote from: matty0l215 on June 15, 2019, 03:50:00 PMOh also, learn how to clutchless shift. At least up the gears. Down is difficult ;D
The quickshift on my bike works incredibly well when shifting down (actually, even better than when shifting up, IMO).
No matter how shitty a rider you are (I am), when you arrive at a traffic light or at a roundabout, you sound like WSKB/MotoGP :)
I use the clutch just when starting from still and on very rare occasions (shifting up 1-->2 at very low revs, mostly).

matty0l215

Look at Mr fancy pants with his new bike with auto blipper ;D

Unfortunately down blipper a are near impossible to fit to non fly by wire bikes (can be done but prohibitively expensive)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

F*ck me! Listen to you lot. Lol! ;D  ;D

I don't think any of you young-un's would know how to ride a real seat of your pants bike without using modern electronics aids! Where's the pride and raw skills gone in riders these days. LOL! :P ;D  ;D  ;D

Just pulling your chains guys.... Keep your hair on! Hehe!  :P  ;D  ;D 

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Hawk on June 15, 2019, 09:11:51 PMF*ck me! Listen to you lot. Lol! ;D  ;D

I don't think any of you young-un's would know how to ride a real seat of your pants bike without using modern electronics aids! Where's the pride and raw skills gone in riders these days. LOL! :P ;D  ;D  ;D

Just pulling your chains guys.... Keep your hair on! Hehe!  :P  ;D  ;D 

HEYYYYY I know how to clutch-less shift, and would hopefully be classed as a 'young-un'. I just can't do it. There's a difference ;)

Although being of an age to be described as a 'Man-Child' I do like the noise some of the quick-shifters make. Never tried one so I can't say if its any use, but still.
Not entirely sure how relevant any of what I said was to the thread so I apologise in that regard

Myst1cPrun3

In terms of actually softening it, I'm not a motorbike mechanic so I cant actually say what would work for your bike etc, but the methods I thought of, and would hopefully work, would be to:

Reduce the spring tension, (If its a cable clutch it must have a spring to return the cable back, similar to a bicycle wheel brake), and reducing that spring would make the clutch softer hopefully. Either backing the spring tension off a little, or getting a different one.
Downside to this is the bite point on the lever would change I'd imagine, spring may lose shape easier if its changed, meaning the clutch may not disengage/engage properly.

Change master/slave cylinder sizes or ratios. This would only work if its hydraulic, and could be quite costly I'd imagine, not to mention quite a bit of work.

Possibly the easiest depending on your bikes setup, but move the clutch pivot point further away from the hand. The force required to move an object is directly proportional to the perpendicular distance as to which the force is applied from the pivot point, so in theory, moving where you grip the lever away from the lever pivot point would make it softer, but may increase the lever travel slightly, depending on how far you go.

https://isaacphysics.org/concepts/cp_moments

I'm not sure which would be easier/possible for your setup if they're possible at all, as I have next to no experience working on motorbikes, all cars I'm afraid. Its just a combination of things that could work from physics lessons and my car mechanic apprenticeship. Maybe someone could verify/refute some things for me, always want to learn :)