• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:44 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Help with creating bike mods

Started by DarkFire315, September 11, 2019, 04:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkFire315

Hello!

I'm not exactly sure about the process for creating bike mods: I'd greatly appreciate some guidance. Also, what sorts of bikes could I create? Could I add some naked street bikes, and would anybody be interested in them?

I've started modelling a KTM 790 duke for myself, but I could be open to a few requests. I have pretty good modelling experience but can't really texture too well, and I don't know how to setup the physics parameters or the dash or engine sound.
Also, does the game support normal or bump maps, and how detailed should I be modelling?

Thanks

matty0l215

September 11, 2019, 05:41:45 PM #1 Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 06:00:47 PM by matty0l215
What can you create? Anything you like, So long as it's only got two wheels :P A KTM Duke would be a great bike to have in game though :D

As for Texturing is a bit odd in GPB (it's not as simple as applying the textures to the model in 3ds/blender/maya etc) but that can wait until you've got the model done and showing in game (not point keep having to alter the UV)

It uses Normal mapping for adding extra detail but you can go fairly detailed with the model. Standard game modeling principles apply, If you're not really going to see it in game, don't go crazy detailed.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

matty0l215

Modeling is quite simple. You can refer to the Template bike Piboso has made here- http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=974.0

The model needs to be slit into 8 Parts

Chassis- These are parts like the frame, engine, fairings, exhasut, rear shock, screen (any clear items use Alpha textures to set opacity)

Front Suspension (referred to as Fsusp)- These are the for stantions, Fork bottoms, Brake calipers and front mudguard

Streer- Top and bottom yoke, Frok bodies, handle bars with switch gear, levers etc

Rear suspension (Referred to as Rsusp)- Swing arm, rear caliper.

Front Wheel (fwheel)- Wheel, Brake disk/s (no tyre)

rear Wheel (Rwheel)- wheel, Brake disk and sprockets (No tyre)

Front tyre- Just the tyre model.

Rear Tyre- Just the tyre model

Model scale should be 1:1 with real world measurements so it's probably easiest to work in  millimeters.

As it is your first time, it would be better for you to create the model and get it showing game and then worry about things like the dash, Textures and part animations later, then work on the Physics.

Hope this gives you something to start with :)

DarkFire315

Thanks for the speedy response :)
So I assume the parts you specified just need to be seperate objects within the same model?
Also, what sort of things should I include or remove from the bike? Standard ugly plate section, indicators, passenger pegs, mirrors, etc.

matty0l215

Objects are linked to a parent dummy object with the suitable name (chassi, fsusp etc) at the point of their pivot (see the example file for details or I can send you a more complete example bike that I'm working on for this exact situation)

You can model anything you want on the bike. If you want to spend the time modeling the bike to look like a road bike that's up to you. GP Bikes just looks for the models, it doesn't matter what they look like.

Yansko

I think the think will be more hard its the physics of the twin cylinder of the 790 no?

matty0l215

Nope, not at all.

Practically any engine type can be replicated.