• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:19:10 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

GP Bikes on Linux

Started by Furious, September 24, 2013, 01:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furious

I'm moving to Linux all the way from Windows in some time. My first try is Ubuntu, but that may change in some time. But to the point. I've heard, that its not a big problem runing GP Bikes on Linux. Is there anyone to explain how to do this?

Alby46

you must install wine ( Wine Is Not an Emulator, that's the acronym lol ).
open your command prompt ( or terminal ) with ctrl+alt+t, then type
"sudo apt-get install wine"
and type your password. while you type your password, you won't see it but trust me, you're typing it lol.
then let him download ecc. ecc. then double-click on the gp bikes installer and it's all done. then you can do the same, the installer is the same so you won't have problems.
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

Furious

I followed your steps and doing that I messed up :/ Do you know that doing your way I installed wine 1.4.1 ? As the current stable version is 1.6 :/ I will have to uninstall it and install it again. But anyway, thx for help. Soon I'll be linux master :P

Alby46

you can update it via prompt command, but don't remember how

Madagaskar

You can also use Playonlinux (it's Wine with pre-configured prefixes to run games).
I'm a linux user too and can help you if you need. GPBikes runs perfectly trough Playonlinux, no configuration needed.
Follow these steps for your distro: http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html
If u need any help, just ask ;)

Alby46

i'm not using linux now so your help to him is really appriciated

Furious

Small update. I made a comparison between windows and my ubuntu. I got 120-160 fps on ubuntu and 90-120 fps on windows. Playing in POL is just silky smooth. Everything works! I approve! ;)

WALKEN

Try Linux Mint, its very stable and user friendly. I have run GPBikes in Linux in wine and have had success. Being as GPBikes utilizes OpenGL there may be a way to run native in Linux (dream come true).

Been using Linux for many many years so if you have any questions feel free to ask and if I have a solution I will help you.

The biggest thing in Linux is your graphics driver updates, make sure you are up to date or proprietary drivers are installed.

Another thing to consider is when using Linux to run GPBikes, it may run GPBikes good but you may find problems with gamepad drivers etc....           
Help me, help you!

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

WALKEN

Quote from: Napalm Nick on July 26, 2015, 08:59:07 PM
Linux Mint +1 Awesome

From Slackware to PCLinuxOS to Debian and a endless sea of other distros over the years and I find Mint/Xfce  is simple and easy for first time users or veterans at that. Good luck and enjoy the Linux, you will learn a lot and will adapt to not having a OS that holds your hand for every move you make...

Also check your "synaptic package manager" for software you may enjoy as you can simply bypass your terminal if you are not comfortable with command lines.     
Help me, help you!

Furious

Quote from: WALKEN on July 26, 2015, 08:57:14 PM
Try Linux Mint, its very stable and user friendly. I have run GPBikes in Linux in wine and have had success. Being as GPBikes utilizes OpenGL there may be a way to run native in Linux (dream come true).

Been using Linux for many many years so if you have any questions feel free to ask and if I have a solution I will help you.

The biggest thing in Linux is your graphics driver updates, make sure you are up to date or proprietary drivers are installed.

Another thing to consider is when using Linux to run GPBikes, it may run GPBikes good but you may find problems with gamepad drivers etc....         

Luckly I'm not such a linux noob anymore ;) Got some problems with gamepad but easily solved with jstest-gtk.

Boerenlater

I'll be moving from W10 to Linux this week. Does GP Bikes still work well with wine/playonlinux?
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

matty0l215

Quote from: Boerenlater on January 01, 2017, 12:32:46 PM
I'll be moving from W10 to Linux this week. Does GP Bikes still work well with wine/playonlinux?

Why are you moving from Win10 to Linux?

Just use a dual boot (keep windows 10)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Boerenlater

To get rid of the botnet and NSA backdoors.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

Alby46

It should, wine is too good not to work