• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Ability To Bind 2 Inputs to Rear Brake

Started by Myst1cPrun3, October 26, 2019, 02:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst1cPrun3

October 26, 2019, 02:09:22 AM Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 03:30:21 PM by Myst1cPrun3
After watching some interviews about how MM93 rides the Honda GP Bike, and why he's able to perform so much better, I found out a lot of it revolves around the rear brake usage.

According to Crutchlow, (Who has access to Marc's data) the Honda has huge issues regarding the electronic engine braking and its consistency, which results in an awful jumpy sensation of the rear, particularly when it is just touching down after a small stoppie (Not too dis-similar to the current EB Simulation in GP Bikes)

Now apparently, Marquez gets around this by slamming the rear brake when the wheel is in the air, to override the engine braking of a fashion, so that when the wheel touches down, instead of it gripping, and causing a tank-slapper, the bike keeps sliding relatively smoothly.

Now I tried to replicate this in GP Bikes, and to do that, I bound both the Front, and Rear Brakes to my left trigger (XBOX ONE CONTROLLER), and fiddled with the input sensitivity/parameters to get them something like what I could run.

It worked rather well if I'm honest. I was able to replicate Marquez's style on entry to turns, and slide the bikes much more naturally on entry also.

However it wasn't 100% set up, and there is still tweaking to be done, as well as the fact it changed my approach to corners. Overall I didn't notice much time difference, but I was more consistent, particularly on the Grand Prix Bikes.

One unexpected issue however was that after the initial turn in, I lost all functionality of the rear brake as an individual system, as to activate the rear brake I had to pull the front, and that was not great for small corrections mid turn.

That is where this suggestion comes in, and having the option to map 2 separate inputs to the rear brake, then we can have the option to run individual brakes or joint, or a mixture of both. As without a full handlebar/footpeg system, it can be awkward trying to get your fingers to all the sticks on a gamepad.

Most MotoGP Machines have both a thumb operated rear brake lever, AND a foot operated rear brake lever, giving them 2 options for rear brake usage, (How they can use the rear brake with a foot dangle), so I think it would be cool to have a similar feature, and would open up so many more avenues for riding style and setup.

The actual use of a rear brake on a motorcycle is questionable, some people swear by it, others say you don't need it at all. This Thread is NOT about whether you should use a rear brake or not, its not even about how or where you should use a rear brake. It is about having an option in the menus for an alternative input to the rear brake. As a result of this potentially going off topic easily replies are locked

Myst1cPrun3

Myst1cPrun3