• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:15:23 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Damage in crashes

Started by JOACKO172, February 29, 2020, 05:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poumpouny

March 10, 2020, 08:37:33 AM #15 Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:39:30 AM by poumpouny
People that think that VR issue in ACC is the Kunos fault and compare it to FPS VR game doesn't understand anything about simulation game. Yes VR FPS run smoothly on UE4, becaus it don't need to calculate the physics of each inch of tyre simulation, Aerodynamic, Car engine simulation, beleivable and competitive full grid AI. OF course if you dedicated the entire computer power to calculate just the graphics and some "on trigger" ennemi animation such as on FPS then of course it will run smoothly on last gen computer indeed !

Edit : Forgot to mention that the circuit need to be in millimeter precision cause every circuit is laser scanned !

Hawk

Quote from: poumpouny on March 10, 2020, 08:37:33 AMPeople that think that VR issue in ACC is the Kunos fault and compare it to FPS VR game doesn't understand anything about simulation game. Yes VR FPS run smoothly on UE4, becaus it don't need to calculate the physics of each inch of tyre simulation, Aerodynamic, Car engine simulation, beleivable and competitive full grid AI. OF course if you dedicated the entire computer power to calculate just the graphics and some "on trigger" ennemi animation such as on FPS then of course it will run smoothly on last gen computer indeed !

Edit : Forgot to mention that the circuit need to be in millimeter precision cause every circuit is laser scanned !

Are you sure you know anything about how raw data for laser scanned tracks is optimised before it's included in any game/sim?

Are you sure you know anything about game dev?

The VR issue will be a Kunos dev issue, believe me mate..... They'll get it sorted eventually, when they work it out...... Probably the first VR implementation they have done.  :)

poumpouny

Sure i never worked on a laser scanned race circuit, nor on a game. But as a 3D artist i know about the pipeline and how you convert the point cloud from the laser scanning into optimized mesh, wich is significantly hi poly on the race surface track ! i work every day with UE4 not for game but for Archiviz, and last ACC is not the first VR implementation from Kunos, AC support VR since 3-4 years and is the best optimized game for VR after project car 2!

Myst1cPrun3

Erm Hawk, Acc is the second implementation of be, assetto corsa standard was the first. And it was done really really well.
I highly doubt this is a Kunos issue.

Unreal supports vr, but no game I tried in vr unreal functioned correctly, or even well for that matter.

It's why vr games tend to be unity or indie engines. (Less on the latter these days)

So I have to ask you Hawk, are you sure you know anything about game Dev or assetto corsa, or vr?

Hawk

Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on March 10, 2020, 03:29:45 PMErm Hawk, Acc is the second implementation of be, assetto corsa standard was the first. And it was done really really well.
I highly doubt this is a Kunos issue.

Unreal supports vr, but no game I tried in vr unreal functioned correctly, or even well for that matter.

It's why vr games tend to be unity or indie engines. (Less on the latter these days)

So I have to ask you Hawk, are you sure you know anything about game Dev or assetto corsa, or vr?

I work with UE4 on a daily basis, Maya too, and knowing the vast team behind UE4's development and it's superbly professional support and speed in fixing any problems that devs may have then I cannot believe this is a UE4 issue. I am not currently aware of any issues that need fixing with UE4 VR, and they are always keeping their VR code up to date with the latest headset drivers.

I'm also well aware, MYSTIC, that ACC is Kunos's second version of AC..... The only thing that was done very well at the time on AC was the graphics, the physics were reasonably good but not a pinch on rfactor 2's physics in my opinion, it was more of an eye-candy project than a serious racing simulator, despite it's popularity; just shows how many people are pulled into something that has great eye-candy but that's always been so in gaming.

But isn't ACC the first outing for Kunos using UE4? I seem to remember reading something about Kunos switching to UE4 for ACC? If so, that could well be the reason or at least part of the reason for the issues they are having through lack of experience and/or could be to do with whether Kunos converted AC over and then improved on it for the ACC version or what? Just how lazy they where in their transfer over to UE4, you know what I mean? Could all cause problems that they'll probably fix properly for the next version(which if they'd done a proper serious job in the first place this issue wouldn't be happening(but what do we expect from Italian dev companies? Milestone ring a bell? Lol)).

I know you guys obviously don't like the sound of someone saying that Kunos are at issue here, but I'd pretty much say, in all seriousness, that is probably the case here...... You wait and see if they fix it for the next release version, that would definitely prove my point otherwise they could fix it with a patch pretty quickly. ;)

PS: I cannot believe anyone who says they work with UE4 seriously and knows what they are doing would think that UE4 is a bad SDK to be using for any entertainment project..... I have found Epic with their UE4 SDK and their team of developers to be superbly professional in every way imaginable, I can't rate them highly enough.

Myst1cPrun3

As someone who used vr on a daily basis, I can tell you no matter what game, genre, or Dev it was, it was glitchy.

Believe me or don't. Those are my experiences so I know they're right.

If you're SO aware that ACC is kunos second outing with AC, then you SHOULD also be aware that it's their SECOND attempt at VR implementation. Not their first like you stated above. So either you mistyped, I misinterpreted, or you're not quite as aware as you think.

As for kunos and UE4, from what I can gather ACC is a fresh build, with very little actually ported from the original ACC, except for some tracks and the odd car.

The only way to test this would be to see if there is a difference in a car that was in the original Assetto, and on a track that was in the original Assetto, and then do some new content races. If there's no difference then the likelihood is it's an engine issue.

Having never even bought ACC, (but have many hours in both the original, which I didn't like either, and UE4 vr titles) (I didn't like the first, nor wanted to race GT cars as they're boring (Richard Burns Rally group B VR anyday) I was unwilling to spend the money, but have seen enough content to be able to have a basic grasp of the issues), I can safely say what I'm saying isn't because of any bias toward ac, or kunos. I actually prefer rf2 like you I imagine from what your saying.

Also cannot speak for epic and unreal engine communication and help, but I will say professionalism doesn't equal competency.

But for the most part ue is a decent engine, just not very well optimized for vr, as a consumer.

As for Italian Dev companies not being up to standard I have no clue what you mean.  ;)

Myst1cPrun3

Sorry if I jump around a bit typing on a phone and fuse hunting on my bike.

I was not made for multitasking it turns out :')

Hawk

March 10, 2020, 09:56:21 PM #22 Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:07:06 PM by Hawk
Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on March 10, 2020, 07:06:33 PMAs someone who used vr on a daily basis, I can tell you no matter what game, genre, or Dev it was, it was glitchy.

Believe me or don't. Those are my experiences so I know they're right.

If you're SO aware that ACC is kunos second outing with AC, then you SHOULD also be aware that it's their SECOND attempt at VR implementation. Not their first like you stated above. So either you mistyped, I misinterpreted, or you're not quite as aware as you think.

As for kunos and UE4, from what I can gather ACC is a fresh build, with very little actually ported from the original ACC, except for some tracks and the odd car.

The only way to test this would be to see if there is a difference in a car that was in the original Assetto, and on a track that was in the original Assetto, and then do some new content races. If there's no difference then the likelihood is it's an engine issue.

Having never even bought ACC, (but have many hours in both the original, which I didn't like either, and UE4 vr titles) (I didn't like the first, nor wanted to race GT cars as they're boring (Richard Burns Rally group B VR anyday) I was unwilling to spend the money, but have seen enough content to be able to have a basic grasp of the issues), I can safely say what I'm saying isn't because of any bias toward ac, or kunos. I actually prefer rf2 like you I imagine from what your saying.

Also cannot speak for epic and unreal engine communication and help, but I will say professionalism doesn't equal competency.

But for the most part ue is a decent engine, just not very well optimized for vr, as a consumer.

As for Italian Dev companies not being up to standard I have no clue what you mean.  ;)

If UE4 VR developed games are glitchy for you then you should contact Epic with a bug report and see what they say in return, and by bug report I mean explain to them exactly how to recreate the bug as well as what the problem is together with your system specs. If it's a UE4 bug they'll get it sorted mate, no worries.

It's Kunos's second attempt yes, but their first attempt using the UE4 SDK, comprehend-da now? Lol! :P  ;D  I thought I'd made that clear when talking about their apparent lack of experience implementing it with the UE4 SDK?

What you gather Kunos did is just a presumption...... Chances are that they did try and cut corners in dev time by using as much of the AC code as they could in ACC.... Always a risky move in introducing bugs and issues.

Well all I can say is that if you think professionalism doesn't equal competency then what does that say about Kunos and their work, and indeed their competency in implementing VR in what is to them a new SDK platform they have little experience with..... I seem to remember Milestone having some running in issues when they first swapped over to UE4 too(due to lack of UE4 experience, and they admitted it). You see a pattern developing here do we? Basically launching products before they are properly game tested by the sounds of it, be it probably due to deadline issues, but all the same, not a good thing to be doing.

Oh to be a dev of the top AAA game SDK blamed for the poor work done by other dev companies that are using it for their games.... It must be so irritating for them to hear the ignorance of some people, don't you think?

Oh go on.... These companies need calling out on their questionable work and ethics towards their customers.... Italian hallmarks indeed it seems! Wouldn't you agree? Hehe! ;D  ;D

poumpouny

Hawk,
the only way to know if this is Kunos's incompetence or and engine limitation and/or engine bad optimization is to compare 2 game with the same category (here race simulation) built with the same engine (Here UE4). Fortunately there is (as far as i know) only 2 car sim made with UE4 and wich support both VR : Assetto Corsa Competizionne and Kart Kraft.

Just to clarify thing, ACC has the "top physics" in GT3 car now, like you I prefer RF2 but that's a fact, concerning GT3 nobody else had worked so closely and so deeply with real GT3 manufacturers and race team like Kunos, you can verify on each and every single youtube or whatever you like review on the web, and you can even read that on RF2 forum by RF2 fanboy.PS : I only talk about GT3, anyway ACC only had GT3 !

I don't know if you know Kart Kraft but it is the main "concurence" for Piboso's Kart Racing Pro and RF2 Kart Pack. And they are rated as bellow :

- Kart racing pro (best physics, normal it's a Pibosso product)
- RF2 Kart pack (the most popular but it is not a real kart simulation since it is based on RF2 isimoto2 wich is for normal car (with suspension) and kart don't have suspension but instead chassis flex, there is no chassis flex simulation in RF2 isi motors)
- Kart Kraft (the best graphic engine (and to me the best looking race game ever, just see how realistic it is with the following video), physic wise it support chassis flex etc and is a dedicated kart simulator but no as deep and precise as KRP.

this is how beautiful kart kraft is when it is ran on normal mode (non VR)

and this is what is left when you run it in VR with a 1080 Ti and a 8th Generation of core i7 :

please note that despite the ugly aliasing and the desactivation of most of the graphic option, there is no shadow, it hardly hit 90fps (seems to be locked at 78fps the most time)

So now  it's up to you to say if it's a dev incompetence or an engine limitation/bad optimisation. I know you will say both develloper doesn't master UE4 ........

Hawk

Hang on a minute Poumpouny, your comparing one with the other when you have one on "Ultra" graphic settings for a non-VR setup, and basically lowest graphic settings for your VR-Setup, and all your complaining about is having no shadows and a lower FPS in VR? Are you kidding me? Why have you done that? :o  :o
Show both on Ultra or both on lowest graphic settings and then come back to me, or are the VR hardware requirements too much for "Ultra" settings for your system?

You using a PC or laptop?

Myst1cPrun3

I'd imagine the point is not the graphics, but the games ability to run those graphics in vr at acceptable frames.

poumpouny

I'm just showing you an exemple other that Assetto Corsa Competition between Normal Screen Mod and VR mod of a UE4 game ! it's the same game ! it is not me running it, it is a guy on youtube trying to run it in VR with his desktop core i7 8th gen and a GTX 1080Ti ! of course it will be way worst if he even play it with higher graphic setting, what you see in the video is the highest possible setting to run UE4 race simulation game in VR with a high end PC ! and Kunos is not the develloper of the game !

Hawk

March 13, 2020, 09:43:33 AM #27 Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 09:55:30 AM by Hawk
Quote from: poumpouny on March 13, 2020, 07:47:52 AMI'm just showing you an exemple other that Assetto Corsa Competition between Normal Screen Mod and VR mod of a UE4 game ! it's the same game ! it is not me running it, it is a guy on youtube trying to run it in VR with his desktop core i7 8th gen and a GTX 1080Ti ! of course it will be way worst if he even play it with higher graphic setting, what you see in the video is the highest possible setting to run UE4 race simulation game in VR with a high end PC ! and Kunos is not the develloper of the game !

Your showing one video at Ultra GFX settings on a monitor and comparing it with someone else's video who is bench-testing two different VR headset manufacturers and NOT bench-testing UE4's capabilities in running VR. There is no mention that the UE4 engine is at fault at all.
But looking at the system resource data window on his screen he is far from running it at the highest possible settings for his VR/system, he has resources still available to increase his GFX settings quite a lot more than what he has set-up; what makes you think he is running at it's highest settings possible? Just cause he says so? Look at the data.

But the main point is that he isn't having a go at the EU4 Engine over the issue he's trying to portray, he is benchmarking VR headsets and saying that something is weird with the performance of the Lenovo Explorer VR headset. He's not blaming the UE4 Engine for the issue he is testing for, he's saying that there is performance issues with the Lenovo Explorer VR Headset.

PS: Just found a video in his Youtube video vault showing a fix for the ACC VR issue..... Just more evidence that it's Kunos's issue in ACC and not a UE4 Engine issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYaivz01xo

poumpouny

What i'm trying to explain you is how much you need to turn down the setting to be able to run UE4 racing simulation to be able to run it in VR, wich is not the case in proprietary engine (AC 1, PC2 and even the new Automobilista 2 wich is based on PC2 engine) yes the video you link is a fix for ACC but look how ugly the graphic is (compare to the potential UE4 eye candy). So migrating to UE4 doesn't make any sens for VR player if the main reason you migrating to it is to use the eye candy graphic but in the end you will be forced to disable it all to be able to just run the game !

Hawk

Quote from: poumpouny on March 13, 2020, 11:46:12 AMWhat i'm trying to explain you is how much you need to turn down the setting to be able to run UE4 racing simulation to be able to run it in VR, wich is not the case in proprietary engine (AC 1, PC2 and even the new Automobilista 2 wich is based on PC2 engine) yes the video you link is a fix for ACC but look how ugly the graphic is (compare to the potential UE4 eye candy). So migrating to UE4 doesn't make any sens for VR player if the main reason you migrating to it is to use the eye candy graphic but in the end you will be forced to disable it all to be able to just run the game !

So show me a VR vid of a proper racing sim at high graphics settings then.... Let's see the difference's logically. Cause by the sound of it, any VR headset struggles to show high-end graphics setting quality the same as you would get on a monitor?