• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:01:20 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Unreal Engine V

Started by Blackheart, May 16, 2020, 05:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackheart

Hawk

Amazing, isn't it mate..... Backwards compatible with older tech and versions too.  ;)

I didn't think you were impressed with the UE SDK Blackheart?
Are you coming around to thinking that it would be a good idea for GPB and or Piboso's projects as a whole, or are you still thinking that Piboso could ever match the capabilities and ease of development of the UE SDK dev package?

BTW.... The UE SDK is now available for devs to earn $1 Million before paying the 5% royalty on any units sold. Surely a no-brainer decision for devs now rather than creating their own game engine, wouldn't you agree?

Unity are stuffed now mate. I cannot see were they would go now with their SDK except for those that would be stubborn enough to want to continue using it.
The very least they'd need to do would be to match the deal epic have done with their UE SDK, but then, with Unity, one has to still buy all those expensive third party add-on's before developing a game is practical together with no guarantee that those add-on's will ever be updated to keep up with advances..... I really can't see Unity lasting the next 3-5 years now.

Furious

Quote from: Hawk on May 17, 2020, 07:28:22 PMAmazing, isn't it mate..... Backwards compatible with older tech and versions too.  ;)

I didn't think you were impressed with the UE SDK Blackheart?
Are you coming around to thinking that it would be a good idea for GPB and or Piboso's projects as a whole, or are you still thinking that Piboso could ever match the capabilities and ease of development of the UE SDK dev package?

BTW.... The UE SDK is now available for devs to earn $1 Million before paying the 5% royalty on any units sold. Surely a no-brainer decision for devs now rather than creating their own game engine, wouldn't you agree?

Unity are stuffed now mate. I cannot see were they would go now with their SDK except for those that would be stubborn enough to want to continue using it.
The very least they'd need to do would be to match the deal epic have done with their UE SDK, but then, with Unity, one has to still buy all those expensive third party add-on's before developing a game is practical together with no guarantee that those add-on's will ever be updated to keep up with advances..... I really can't see Unity lasting the next 3-5 years now.

You are missing all the other aspects of working with game engine of a type like Unreal or Unity. All such products have some quirks and drawbacks. I know at least one high caliber developer who said that working with UE 4 was a nightmare for 3 years straight, and he would not go back to it ever again, as opposed to Unity which was much nicer in that regard.

All in all, as achievements of Epic are undeniable, I believe there is still a lot of space for competition.

Hawk

@Furious:

Seems to me that the biggest hurdle Unity developers have in converting over to the EU SDK is the "Lazy" factor: The fact that working with Unity is a comfort blanket and, for them, easy to work with and have probably invested a lot of money into buying all those expensive 3rd party add-ons a dev needs to make Unity a viable option for serious commercial game development; whereas to convert over to working with a totally new engine like the UE SDK would mean learning much of what they already know and are comfortable with all over again, especially the interface and UE's capabilities.

To me the difference is like working with a highly professionally built performance sports car in the case of Epic & it's UE SDK and on the other hand working with a nice comfortable ordinary family saloon in Unity's case. It's chalk & cheese, as they say mate.

But if this high calibre developer your talking about prefers working with the Unity Engine then fair enough, he has a right to his opinion & working preferences as we all have. Good luck to him.  :)
But personally I feel that the Unity engine will now either have to make big changes to compete or it's going to find itself being less and less used over the next 3-5 years and silently disappearing......

Who is this high calibre developer your talking about?

jimconner20

Its beautiful. Truly its going to make future games breath taking. I cant wait for future open world games created with this game engine.

Hawk

Quote from: AntonKA on July 28, 2020, 06:37:48 AMLooks good but it's not something extra yet, they still need work on it.

Unreal Engine 5 is due for a preview release in early 2021, with official release late 2021.  ;)