• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

August 13, 2020, 02:57:29 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

GP500cc 2-Strokes Set To Return Replacing The MotoGP 4-stroke Classes.....

Started by Hawk, June 10, 2020, 09:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Docfumi

Quote from: matty0l215 on June 11, 2020, 08:36:39 PMDone properly, Electric racing could be just as good....

Well, I'd say give your balls a tug, but it looks like yer pants are doin' it for ya. JK lol  ;)
I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

matty0l215

Quote from: Docfumi on June 11, 2020, 10:40:38 PM
Quote from: matty0l215 on June 11, 2020, 08:36:39 PMDone properly, Electric racing could be just as good....

Well, I'd say give your balls a tug, but it looks like yer pants are doin' it for ya. JK lol  ;)

By no means a replacement but the more Racing the better I say!

Vini

What do you mean "properly"? There is nothing you can do about the massive weight of the batteries.

doubledragoncc

And the heavy sound system to simulate a real bike sound makes it even heavier lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 7700 4.8GHz z270 ASUS Maximus Code Mobo 16GB 3866MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX2070 OC 8GB DDR6 Kraken X62 AIO Cooler ROG Thor 850w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.
https://paypal.me/IASystems

Hawk

Actually the instant-torque possible from an electric motor is very impressive...... Could make the old 2-strokes, beast of a power-band, look tame in comparison...... Could be pretty fun to watch guys?! ;D  ;D

They would have to have DD's engine noise generator onboard though..... We need sound! Lol! ;D

Myst1cPrun3

TBF MotoE is a very fun watch (TV wise) the bikes are very dynamic and the torque, weight and lack of aids made for some interesting races.

Oh and the one bike one lap superpole was awesome too

Hawk

Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on June 11, 2020, 01:40:08 PMI wouldn't say 2 strokes is the only other option.

I mean Just the other day I was reading into the possibility of them running less displacement and turbo chargers instead for economy and power.

Yamaha are looking at turbocharging their model range also.

The article doesn't mention dorna even looking at 2 strokes, just says the engine regulations are up for review.

It was mentioned by DD about rotaries not being used as it's not relevant to the road line ups..

I can agree with that to a degree, however outside of club racing and dedicated bike meetings/shows I've seen the same amount of rotaries Vs 2 strokes 'in the wild', and unlike rotaries, I don't see any company (outside of off road) jumping to develop one.
But I did read somewhere Norton's new owners were interested in returning to a rotary, (how true that is IDK as it was an obscure source and was only one article in the depths of a Google night  :D ) and Mazda have patented a new rotary and look set to return to le man's with one, so if anything a rotary is a more likely possibility than a 2 stroke return.

Only time will tell however.

As you say mate.... Only time will tell, but the way rumours and attitudes are going, it is very reminiscent of the late 90's early 2000's when the 4-strokes invaded 2-stroke territory. Lol. Here's hoping! ;D

I do like the Rotary engine..... There was at the time when Norton first introduced there Rotary Norton back in the 80's, a debate about the exact displacement measurements of a rotary engine.... Did they ever come to a ruling on that? And what is the definition of a Rotary engine? Is it classed as a 2-stroke type engine, you know, did they ever classify it to allow it in certain categories of road racing? I know there was a big debate about it at the time, as it was just such a great engine and blowing away the opposition at the time with Norton too!
Nevertheless, it would be great to see Norton back in the mix with a Rotary engined bike. ;D  8)

I'd still put a good bet on the 4-strokes being on their way out of Motorcycle road racing though, I really would...... Let's hope so! ;D

Hawk

Quote from: Manu on June 11, 2020, 04:20:11 PM
Quote from: Hawk on June 10, 2020, 09:13:03 PMWoohooo!!! It's official!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

They are seriously looking into replacing the MotoGP 4-strokes by returning back to the GP500cc 2-stroke class for the world championships.... Simply cause the 500cc 2 strokes are better and more exciting to watch, and the advancements in 2 stroke technologies over the last decade.....

Take a look here: https://www.visordown.com/news/racing/motogp/could-motogp-return-two-stroke-engine-formula

Make my day!! Hehe! ;D  8)  ;D  8)

What killed 2T is that there was no impact on sales of two-stroke bikes while four-stroke dominated the streets. Taking that into account, I doubt that the 2T will return to the competition.

I think you'll find the number of 2t to 4t sales was different in different countries Manu.
In the UK at the time, 2T's were the dominant bikes on the public roads, 4t's were generally considered touring bikes only brought out for Sunday good weather road trips. ;)
In India and Asia, I understand that 2T's are still the dominant form of transport, not just in bikes, but also Tuk-Tuks, taxi's, etc, etc.

doubledragoncc

Oh and Enikes would also need a 2T smoke and smell generator..........how heavy???

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 7700 4.8GHz z270 ASUS Maximus Code Mobo 16GB 3866MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX2070 OC 8GB DDR6 Kraken X62 AIO Cooler ROG Thor 850w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

Quote from: doubledragoncc on June 12, 2020, 09:46:29 AMOh and Enikes would also need a 2T smoke and smell generator..........how heavy???

DD

Oh yes! That heady smell of "Castrol 'R'" would be great, with the smoke too..... Should be easy to implement with all this vaping tech around DD! Hehe! ;D  ;D  8)

doubledragoncc

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Hawk on June 12, 2020, 09:26:26 AMAs you say mate.... Only time will tell, but the way rumours and attitudes are going, it is very reminiscent of the late 90's early 2000's when the 4-strokes invaded 2-stroke territory. Lol. Here's hoping! ;D

I do like the Rotary engine..... There was at the time when Norton first introduced there Rotary Norton back in the 80's, a debate about the exact displacement measurements of a rotary engine.... Did they ever come to a ruling on that? And what is the definition of a Rotary engine? Is it classed as a 2-stroke type engine, you know, did they ever classify it to allow it in certain categories of road racing? I know there was a big debate about it at the time, as it was just such a great engine and blowing away the opposition at the time with Norton too!
Nevertheless, it would be great to see Norton back in the mix with a Rotary engined bike. ;D  8)

I'd still put a good bet on the 4-strokes being on their way out of Motorcycle road racing though, I really would...... Let's hope so! ;D

I like the rotaries. Perhaps my favourite type of engine.

The issue was always what displacement an engine was with this configuration.

The accepted answer these days is that a rotary is a 4 stroke, with a capacity of the sum of the rotor faces' "swept volume" (the curved part)

https://www.rx7.com/techarticles_displacement.html#:~:text=The%20rotary%20engine%20is%20obviously,a%20total%20of%20six%20faces.

The only series' I know of that banned s rotary was le man's, and even that's been overturned recently, hence Mazda's rumoured return (fingers crossed)

I wouldn't say 4ts will leave road racing, perhaps 2t would get a boost at club level, but at the end of the day, the tech allowing it to run efficiently and economically is still new and a bit expensive.

I personally have a soft spot for screaming 600s and 750s, so I hope they don't come back in the larger displacements if they do.

125-250s are perfect for 2t imo. Delicate, precise, and smooth but still require some agression to do what's needed

Myst1cPrun3

Hawk

@Mystic: Fascinating watch mate. Thanks for the post..... I'll be watching the others in the series too.... Good stuff! ;)  8)

Myst1cPrun3