• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Switch out rider animations?

Started by Vini, July 03, 2020, 02:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

I had the idea to replace the gesture animation files by the ones for stand-up wheelie and leg dangle to get manual control over them but it didn't work for some reason.

Does anybody know how these .ANM files need to be formatted?

h106frp

July 03, 2020, 03:26:35 PM #1 Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:28:42 PM by h106frp
Not much help, but from what I can gather they are shape animations much like the shock and cables and generated in 3DS so I guess it uses their output format.

The rigged model is only used as a method for deforming the rider mesh in 3DS to generate keyframes for each move position, these are then strung together like a cartoon. the file is probable just a big list of vertices and their index number.

In game we only have the model mesh of the rider and no bone rig - hence we can never have a 'rag doll' style physics influenced rider

Vini

Hmm, but why is not possible to swap the animations with each other?

h106frp

July 03, 2020, 04:35:35 PM #3 Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:49:30 PM by h106frp
I guess if you swapped the references in gfx.cfg which should force the change it would be because, selectively, the correct link pivots are not being passed to the animation.

The .anm files can be created directlly from the 3DS edf exporter - so I guess it is just a 3DS animation file converted to PBs .anm

Its a shame we have no information how this is achieved using the standalone exporter.   :-(

Manu

Quote from: Vini on July 03, 2020, 02:54:20 PMI had the idea to replace the gesture animation files by the ones for stand-up wheelie and leg dangle to get manual control over them but it didn't work for some reason.

Does anybody know how these .ANM files need to be formatted?

You cannot do such a thing. The animations are encoded for a specific action. Changing the names won't do any good.
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.

Vini

Damn, would have been too good to be true.