• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Once and for all: Rider lean influence on bike physics?

Started by Vini, July 10, 2020, 06:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

I know we've had this question a few times in the past but people still don't seem to agree on what the current state of simulation regarding this is in GPB.

How does rider L/R and F/B lean affect weight distribution and aero?
Does it differ between riders and riding styles (animations)?

VSMaster

I don't think rider styles affects aero, neither weight distribution. At the end it's just an animation, how would that affect the physics? And yes, I'm sure Rider lean affects the weight distribution. I think you have to imagine the rider like a sphere that moves L/R, F/B on the bike, you can play without using an animation or without the rider model
Always on the edge

Vini

I mean there is quite a big difference in wheight distribution between modern hanging-off and classic, crossed-up styles.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Vini on July 10, 2020, 06:25:40 PMI know we've had this question a few times in the past but people still don't seem to agree on what the current state of simulation regarding this is in GPB.

How does rider L/R and F/B lean affect weight distribution and aero?
Does it differ between riders and riding styles (animations)?

No, the riding style doesn't affect the physics in any way.
The idea is to allow everyone to choose the favorite style while keeping an even field when racing.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Vini

Hmm, goes a bit about the realism aspect of the simulation but I understand the intention.

Vini

PiBoSo

Quote from: Vini on January 16, 2021, 09:25:11 PMBump: Is peg pressure/weighting simulated as well?

Rider weight movement, based on lean, is simulated.
However, the forces are not applied on the pegs, but around pelvis level.
The net effect on the bike should be the same, though.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Chris_Beeves

Unless the rider is standing up, yeah, that's where the most part of the weight would be transferred.
I had to try..

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 17, 2021, 10:12:20 PM
Quote from: Vini on January 16, 2021, 09:25:11 PMBump: Is peg pressure/weighting simulated as well?

Rider weight movement, based on lean, is simulated.
However, the forces are not applied on the pegs, but around pelvis level.
The net effect on the bike should be the same, though.

Is this scaled correctly?

I am not 100% sure, but as the pegs are lower down, they have less distance to the pivot point, so would require more force to move them. The pelvis area is higher than the forks, so applying the same amount of pressure to the pelvis as the pegs would make the bike move faster.

I would assume then to apply the force through he pelvic area would have to be reduced when compared to the pegs?

BOBR6 84

Maybe some force on the footpegs could help stability when transitioning left/right.. its hard to picture where the forces go when picking the bike up out of a corner or flicking left/right. I would say the outside bar first for the initial counter steer to pick the bike up. Then knees and pelvic area on the seat and tank. Centre, then inside bar for counter and pressure on the footpeg going the other way. Good luck calculating all those forces in perfect symetry  :o

BOBR6 84

You should try more force on the pegs anyway... alot of the oldschool riders always talk and explain how they turned the bike with theyre feet.

Mick doohan crashed in 93 on the corkscrew because he was using too much upper body strength, because of his leg injury.. just watched a little interview video lol