• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:59:57 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

VR locked to 60Hz? (& general VR discussion)

Started by Vini, October 30, 2020, 06:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

November 05, 2020, 09:48:30 PM #15 Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 09:51:45 AM by Vini
I think my descent into the rabbit hole is starting lol
I might need to get my CAD skills back up to speed.

Braking was one of the only few things that felt off in my experience because of the lack of weight transfer. As long as the bike was tipped over though, everything felt great. Like I said, it's the "extra inertial forces" that are missing to give the feeling of "weight".

Front/back tilt on the seat (and/or handlebar) would definitely improve immersion significantly and should still be reasonable to engineer I guess.
I think rear slides, wobbles and most of the other more aggressive bike dynamics could all be pretty nicely simulated through the front/back (up/down) rotation of the unit alone. Again, since the combined force vector on a bike points into the seat, it should allow you to get a pretty convincing feeling of the rear loading up (to a highside) or the front getting light etc.

Unsure about DD's swivel design but after observing where my arms go in VR with a regular gamepad, I think making the handlebar lean with the bike would definitely be an improvement (maybe just use a small radius for the swivel so there is not as much absolute/linear movement).

BTW, would you be able to use force feedback without Direct Steer Mode? So for a leaning handlebar design like DD's, could you make the bike resist turning on the lean axis directly?

Chris_Beeves

Ffb works without DS, it would probably add to the feeling of weight you are looking for.
It just feels weird with my controller, but with a DD type swivel I'm sure it would suit better.
I had to try..