• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:07:00 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

(WIP)Mallory Park Track Surface Rebuild TEST...

Started by Hawk, April 13, 2014, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on April 19, 2014, 06:09:38 PM
Thanks guys...... Just one question as I noticed that the track wasn't recording any fastest times during play.  What do you have to do to get it to record those times? I thought it was the splits, but I'm now thinking it is the checkpoints(I have not applied those yet) that record the actual fastest lap while playing?
Hi Hawk_UK, in your .rdf file you have this:

finish_line
{
long = 167.686005
left = 0.000000
right = 0.000000
}

There's no finish line, essentially.

long is the position on the centerline, left and right are the meters left and right of the centerline (left must be negative, right positive).
Piboso has osted an additiona detail here: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=991.msg10966#msg10966

MaX.

Hawk

April 19, 2014, 08:41:48 PM #46 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:50:01 PM by Hawk_UK
Quote from: HornetMaX on April 19, 2014, 08:34:20 PM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on April 19, 2014, 06:09:38 PM
Thanks guys...... Just one question as I noticed that the track wasn't recording any fastest times during play.  What do you have to do to get it to record those times? I thought it was the splits, but I'm now thinking it is the checkpoints(I have not applied those yet) that record the actual fastest lap while playing?
Hi Hawk_UK, in your .rdf file you have this:

finish_line
{
long = 167.686005
left = 0.000000
right = 0.000000
}

There's no finish line, essentially.

long is the position on the centerline, left and right are the meters left and right of the centerline (left must be negative, right positive).
Piboso has osted an additiona detail here: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=991.msg10966#msg10966

MaX.

Hi Max.
Brilliant. Thanks for this Max.... You answered one of the questions I was just asking SA and while awaiting a reply I saw your post here. Lol

The other question I was wondering about was the Pit-In/Pit-Out markers? Should they be placed on the actual main track surface level with the Pit-In/Pit-Out entrance/exits(like I've seen others do on other tracks I've had a look at), or, should they be placed in the actual pit lanes at the entrance/exit of the pit lanes?

PS: Oh and can you possibly explain to me what the checkpoints are for and were they need to be? Thanks :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on April 19, 2014, 08:41:48 PM
The other question I was wondering about was the Pit-In/Pit-Out markers? Should they be placed on the actual main track surface level with the Pit-In/Pit-Out entrance/exits(like I've seen others do on other tracks I've had a look at), or, should they be placed in the actual pit lanes at the entrance/exit of the pit lanes?
The best thing to do is to open up Victoria in tracked and see how it is done, given that victoria is supposed to be 100% correct.
From what I see, pit lane in/out lines are on the pitlane, not on the track. Makes sense.

PS: Oh and can you possibly explain to me what the checkpoints are for and were they need to be? Thanks :)
Checkpoints are lines that must be crossed in order for a lap to count (i.e.  if you don't cross a checkpoint, your lap time won't be counted). In races the behavior can be modified, I think you receive a time penalty for cutting a check point. They avoid people cheating cutting the track.

MaX.

Hawk

April 19, 2014, 10:34:36 PM #48 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:37:03 PM by Hawk_UK
Quote from: HornetMaX on April 19, 2014, 10:09:44 PM
The best thing to do is to open up Victoria in tracked and see how it is done, given that victoria is supposed to be 100% correct.
From what I see, pit lane in/out lines are on the pitlane, not on the track. Makes sense.

Checkpoints are lines that must be crossed in order for a lap to count (i.e.  if you don't cross a checkpoint, your lap time won't be counted). In races the behavior can be modified, I think you receive a time penalty for cutting a check point. They avoid people cheating cutting the track.

MaX.

Now I understand.... These checkpoints with the option to give a penalty, as an example,  could have been used in the Red Bull Rookies cup Enna Pergusa race when we were trying to stop riders cutting corners.... We could have simply stretched a checkpoint across the corners being cut and if riders went through that checkpoint then we could have added say 10 seconds to their lap time?

I will take your advice and have a look at Victoria circuit also.

I understand this a lot better now. Thanks for the advice and help Max. Very much appreciated. ;)

PS: I presume that if their is no need for a checkpoint, then these checkpoints are not a mandatory must for getting a lap time recorded?

HornetMaX

I don't think they are mandatory, but it takes like 5min to put 3 of them around just to test.

Max.

janaucarre

Hawk

I'm getting a strange thing happening on export from the 3DSMax 2010 EDF Exporter:
I do my modelling in Maya 2011, then export via .fbx and import into 3ds Max. From there I use the Max EDF Exporter to export the .map and .trp files to open in TrackED.
Seemed I'd got the hang of using the workflow fine, but then when I updated the track surface by remodelling the hairpin section of track as a separate object(Named: TRKASPH_03HK), the exporter just seems to ignore it and doesn't export that piece of track, hence when I open the .trp file in TrackED the hairpin mesh is now missing. I'm getting very frustrated with this now, because I've gone through the procedure double checking everything again and again but it's still happening and I just don't know how to solve this now. :( :(

SA_22

weld it........ probably best you just make 1 mesh for the track anyways

Hawk

April 20, 2014, 10:00:46 PM #53 Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:05:38 PM by Hawk_UK
Quote from: SA_22 on April 20, 2014, 09:40:44 PM
weld it........ probably best you just make 1 mesh for the track anyways

I agree with the one mesh track object as a whole, but I've increased the resolution on that bend a lot and I want to test it as a separate object from the rest of the track to see if it made any difference.

Yes I could weld(We say "Merge". Hehe), them together as an option and see if it worked but I want to know why it won't work on a separate object? Other tracks I've looked at have the track separated into several separate objects, so why won't mine export? If I'm doing something wrong I just like to find out what it is.  ;) ;D

The only thing I can think of is, I'm using the .rdf file from my first version and importing the saved Centerline file into the updated version and merging it and saving it. But surely the centreline we create is only a reference until it is set to merged and saved? So in theory we should be able to use a saved centreline file over and over so long as we are only updating the track mesh and so long as the centreline is still cantered on track when merged?
Same with the .rdf data file, it's only a ref file isn't it, to place items on track in correct position like the grid/Pits, etc,etc... so we should be able to use the same one again without having to create a new one for every little update of the same track? Just some thoughts running through my head.  :)

Update: I'm sure that TrackED used to ask for a .map file on intitial load for a new track edit? Now it only asks for a .trp from start when I try to update the track? Am I going mad? Is this the problem? Have I got to create totally new .rdf everytime?

HornetMaX

I'm sure the .tcl file is not mandatory (e.g. victoria does not have it).

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: janaucarre on April 20, 2014, 09:32:51 PM
Thank you very much.

Thanks janaucarre.... This is only a test for the track surface mesh to see if we can find the best way to model/remodel the track surface meshes for circuits in GP Bikes. Plus a learning curve for myself for the integration process, which for me at the momet is a right pain in the you know what. Lol ;D

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 20, 2014, 10:19:01 PM
I'm sure the .tcl file is not mandatory (e.g. victoria does not have it).

MaX.

Thanks Max. I haven't been using it so far.  ;)

HornetMaX

Just to be sure: you do have to create a centerline and then burn it (merge) into the track. But you're not obliged to distribute the .tcl file. Of course, you should keep the .tcl file in case you need to change the track a bit while keeping the centerline unchanged.

MaX.

RBp

April 21, 2014, 06:58:27 AM #58 Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:03:57 AM by RBp
Quote from: Hawk_UK on April 20, 2014, 10:22:58 PM

Thanks janaucarre.... This is only a test for the track surface mesh to see if we can find the best way to model/remodel the track surface meshes for circuits in GP Bikes.

There is no best way it take many technics to mke a track work, Game physic suck in some areas,   surface mesh shoudnt be as one the game will read the whole circuit at the same time not good for FPS. to get some corners to work they can't be 100% accurate to real life in some case's.   I have 21 versions of seprang model while I was fixin the corners new model for every fix I done and exported and merge cnterline drop it in the track folder, Barcalona was a killer I wonted to give up many times.

The game finds bumps where there should be none it a nightmare

RBp

I pretty much finished Croft and Brands, was starting on thruxton (shocking bumpy) but might look into this track so I can I help you out with ideas on how to fix corners, think I know how to make that corner work but need to test it first myself.