• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 12, 2021, 07:49:45 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

The M30x/MCCC/Lumberbar

Started by Chris_Beeves, May 06, 2019, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris_Beeves

Thank you DD!

I don't think I'll be going top level materials right now. I'll settle for things I can print at home (on my new Creality S5! :D ).
Thanks for offering though, I'll get back to you when it's time to go pro! ;)

Cool! FFB is awesome! I guess you're staying with the swivel design? Curious to try how the feeling with that is..
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Quote from: Vini on December 08, 2020, 01:21:45 PMI'd put the joysticks under the handlebar ends. Approx where they put the rear thumbbrake on real bikes.

Yeah, that's how I thought too. It's also the most comfortable place for the thumb from what I have tried. 
I had to try..

doohan

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on May 15, 2020, 09:02:43 PMThis shows the feel of the controller and the head tracking a bit better I think.

Very good m8. Are you a racer? Do you feel any feedback? What driving mode you use? I think you steer to the inner of the turn to the apex?

Chris_Beeves

Thanks.

Not sure if I would call myself a racer, but most of the driving I do I do on track. I don't remember the last time my Cbr had street tires on..

I use DirectSteer mode 2. It replicates real life physics pretty good when you have a strong force feedback unit.
This one I built with a hoverboard motor with roughly 10-15Nm of torque.
Of course it's not EXACTLY like driving a real bike. There are quite a few things that you need to get used to. Even if the feedback motor is strong, you can't currently have the power set too high (as you can probably hear when I run off the track and get back on at 1:02 in the video above, it goes *BANG*) so you easily overpower the feedback. This makes the steering feel a little soft.
However, it is in fact countersteering and if you try to drive with finesse rather than force, it is really cool.

Unfortunately I put more time in to building the units rather than practicing driving with them, as you can see from my highly dynamic approach to race lines. ;)
I had to try..

doohan

So actually you are a racer .
I try to feel FFB to a G27 Wheel but I feel nothing more than the "Bang " in out off track and crash rumble .
What are you receiving as FFB?Depents on mode? Can you take that as an extra output to drive an external actuator?

Chris_Beeves

I used a Logitech Driving Force GT for my first FFB prototype. You can see it in the very first post of the thread. I turned it upside down and put the handlebars on top. Used Direct Steer mode on that too.
It was kind of hard to drive.
When you put the in-game force feedback setting over 40%, something bad happens and the shifting, crashing, passing over edges or kerbs get very amplified. The problem when turning it to 40% with the Logitech was that then the force was too weak to be functional. On my own controller, 40% in-game and 80% on the controller settings is quite good. I would love to be able to have it much higher though.
Since my controller is direct drive, you get a lot more detail in the forces too.   
I had to try..

doohan

I tried "direct steer".... OMG.....This has nothing to do with motorcycle driving.

Chris_Beeves

As opposed to?

Like I said, direct steer is not easy on a logitech G27. Especially without a proper handlebar attached to it.
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

I have been experimenting with tactile transducers for feedback, and it is great!
Looking forward to testing more and tweaking. Really gives another dimension when you can feel the suspension working and motor revving in your seat.
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Got my 6-DoF motion rig that I have been working on at school working today! Will most definitely try that with Gpbikes :O
I had to try..

doubledragoncc

COOL Chris

Can we see some pics n vids if possible?

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 7700 5GHz z270 ASUS Maximus Code Mobo 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X Kraken X62 AIO Cooler ROG Thor 850w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.
https://paypal.me/IASystems

Chris_Beeves

I'll post something as soon as I have it moving with SimTools.
I'm not going to be using this for motorcycles though, it's for my Solar Car Team. But I'll try it to see if I can get it moving right with GP-bikes. I will build a 3DoF for that instead.
I had to try..