• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:17:52 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Wheelie

Started by camillozockt, April 21, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camillozockt

hey ,

i noticed that you can't turn the handlebar while doing a wheelie . i would like to be able to turn the bike while wheelieing .
i think it is also more realistic if you can do that ! maybe for the next release ? :)

Hawk

Quote from: camillozockt on April 21, 2014, 08:33:00 PM
hey ,

i noticed that you can't turn the handlebar while doing a wheelie . i would like to be able to turn the bike while wheelieing .
i think it is also more realistic if you can do that ! maybe for the next release ? :)

I absolutely agree, and I said much the same thing last year, but I don't think it was taken very seriously as it's not been put in the "TO-DO" list as far as I know?
But you are correct in saying that you should be able to turn the bike while the front end is in the air. There was something said about it creating a tank slapper when the front came back down while leaning, but it's done in real life, so why not in GP Bikes? It's just a little frustrating at times and can also cause you to crash the bike because it won't lean at all while the front end is in the air. I hope Piboso will integrate a fix in a future release :)

HornetMaX

The problem is this: your stick in GPB controls the "target lean angle" not the handlebars directly: when the bike is wheeling, controlling the target lean angle is a bit tricky (in GPB as in real life).

Piboso has chosen the "safe approach": when wheeling the front wheel stays at neutral, so that when the front wheel lands back on the ground, there's not danger of a tankslapper (that can happen if the front wheel lands not perfectly aligned).

I do think something could be done in order to allow you to have some control on the leaning while wheeling, but there are two issues: one, it may be very complex (while wheeling the bike dynamics is very different hence the task of the virtual rider is not easy) and two, it may turn out to be extremely difficult to avoid the tank slapper once the player is allowed to lean (and turn the handlebar) while wheeling.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

I think this is already in the game.. Sort of!

I guess you mean make it more controllable?

Some tracks like paul ricard, last corner entering the straight, hard on the gas with the bike cranked over, the front wheel lifts! The bars snap left!
But im still able to turn!

Bars straighten up abit before the wheel touches the ground! Thats quite realistic!

If you pop a casual wheelie theres no chance to control anything lol

If it got tweaked to be able to control this would that mess up other things with the handling?

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on May 08, 2014, 12:41:05 AM
Some tracks like paul ricard, last corner entering the straight, hard on the gas with the bike cranked over, the front wheel lifts! The bars snap left!

If you have a video or better a replay file of you doing that I'd like to have a look.

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on May 08, 2014, 12:41:05 AM

Bars straighten up abit before the wheel touches the ground! Thats quite realistic!

What bike were you riding?.... Because whenever I've had the front wheel in the air the bike will not turn at all, just keeps going in the same direction from the moment the front wheel lifted into the air, has caused many a crash for me. So I would like to know how and with which bike you achieved this?  :)

Klax75

During my Direct Steer with Torque tests. You can steer the front wheel and lean when doing a wheelie. Though the steering instantly becomes the opposite then when the front wheel is off the ground.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Klax75 on May 08, 2014, 02:41:33 PM
During my Direct Steer with Torque tests. You can steer the front wheel and lean when doing a wheelie. Though the steering instantly becomes the opposite then when the front wheel is off the ground.
With direct steer is normal, but without I'd like to see.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Ok I will try to make a replay video!
I have 2 short video's of paul ricard already on youtube but they are very bad quality.. Also its onboard footage.

BOBR684 - Youtube.

I will make a new replay video this weekend.

camillozockt

Do you mean ''Direct Lean'' ? I tried turning it on but it just locks as soon as the front wheel is in the air !!
and it also feels like an arcade game with direct lean on !!  :o

HornetMaX

Quote from: camillozockt on May 08, 2014, 05:25:18 PM
Do you mean ''Direct Lean'' ? I tried turning it on but it just locks as soon as the front wheel is in the air !!
and it also feels like an arcade game with direct lean on !!  :o
No, he means direct steer, that's a different animal.

I won't comment about your perception of direct lean ON ... I've lost all hope on the subject. Yawn.

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on May 08, 2014, 05:18:54 PM
Ok I will try to make a replay video!
I have 2 short video's of paul ricard already on youtube but they are very bad quality.. Also its onboard footage.

BOBR684 - Youtube.

I will make a new replay video this weekend.

Look forward to this. I might even be convinced to convert to Direct Steer myself? :D

BOBR6 84

What is direct steer? Lol

I cant remember the list of things u can have on or off..
I have all assists off I think other than rider weight forward/back. Rider weight left/right.

Is rider weight left/right direct steer?

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on May 08, 2014, 08:39:29 PM

http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=28.0

In gpb your "steering" stick dictates the target lean angle of the bike (with Direct Lean ON or OFF, doesn't matter).

Direct Steer allows you to use your "steering" stick to dictate:

• the handlebar target angle, or
  • the handlebar torque

Can't help with that.

Er, actually yes, I can: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=431.0

Section 1.5 for the controls.

No, what you call "rider weight left/right" is rider lean (left/right, forward/backward).
Direct lean is something else.
Direct steer (in its two different flavors) is something else else.

MaX.

Hawk

May 08, 2014, 11:12:12 PM #14 Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:14:04 PM by Hawk_UK

I have all assists off I think other than rider weight forward/back. Rider weight left/right.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was a way of controlling the steering of the bike directly without any inputs(help) from the virtual rider, which in my mind would be a great thing as the virtual rider usually acts like he's half pissed out of his brain a lot of the time anyway. Lol

EDIT:
Looks like Max posted same time as me..... Nice explanation Max.  ;)