• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Cornering tips?

Started by Become dust, April 03, 2017, 08:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Become dust

Hello im somewhat new to this game/sim and i have really been enjoying it eversince i downloaded the demo and i whish i had the money to buy a licence :/ onto the topic, i have an issue with taking corners, i know very little about bikes but i do get the gist of what "counter steering is, the reason i bring that up is because i have my game configured with the direct steer torque function, absolutely sold it for me when i learned you could apply such "steer mechanics" i am able to have decent control starting and cornering etc, but i feel like im missing a key point when taking a corner and i got curious and decided i would ask the community, "what is the ideal way to take a corner/turn" my speed does not seem to be the issue as ive the ideal racing line turned on, and every corner i take it remains green, any suggestions? (Im aware it take alot of practise but some guidance would be appriciated)

Napalm Nick

Welcome mate and huge kudos for learning DST!

Its too hard for me and like Homer Simpson says "If it is hard, give up" lol.

So I cannot help you in your quest but I would say ignore the best line function it should just be called  'average line', though Victoria is better than most.

Keep at it there are others who persevere with it so I am sure they will help.

Mucho respecto.
  :D
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Become dust

Quote from: Napalm Nick on April 03, 2017, 09:09:48 PM

So I cannot help you in your quest but I would say ignore the best line function it should just be called  'average line', though Victoria is better than most.

Mucho respecto.

Will do thanks! But it leaves me curious how do you corner? Generally?

Hawk

Quote from: Become dust on April 03, 2017, 09:22:17 PM

Mucho respecto.

Hi mate and welcome.  ;)

This thread may help you: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1125.msg13262
It is a detailed thread of Klax's journey to mastering DST bike control...... The only guy to have achieved it so far I believe.

Hope this helps, and good look mate!  ;) 8)

Hawk.

Become dust

Quote from: Hawk on April 03, 2017, 10:29:31 PM
Quote from: Become dust on April 03, 2017, 09:22:17 PM

Mucho respecto.

Hi mate and welcome.  ;)

This thread may help you: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1125.msg13262
It is a detailed thread of Klax's journey to mastering DST bike control...... The only guy to have achieved it so far I believe.

Hope this helps, and good look mate!  ;) 8)

Hawk.

yeah, he is the one who inspired me :D it is truly impressive to see his practice runs he makes it look so easy!! hopefully, i can race him some day <3

Dust

Boerenlater

Hello

What controller do you play the game with?
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

Become dust

Quote from: Boerenlater on April 04, 2017, 08:33:41 AM
Hello

What controller do you play the game with?

I play with an Xbox 1 controller my control layout is almost identical with Klaxes controls

passerBy

Always a pleasure to see more people trying this feature out :) To be honest, back in the day DST was far from great and GPB in general seemed to have some issues preventing from enjoying it to the fullest. That was one of the reasons why I kind of left both the community and the sim (the forum even flushed my posts history). This version, however, is much better :) But I would advise you to try the alternative mode, directsteer=2. Let's call the one you use DST1 and this one DST2.

I personally use an FFB steering wheel with the angle set to 40 degrees, and let me tell you the immersion level is something else. I started with DST1 back in the 2013 when I didn't have the wheel, and even making the bike going was a difficult task. With DST2 you simply turn the bars the way you want them to be turned to. Also, you get a lot of info from the FFB during cornering. So, if you have a chance to try it on a wheel, I absolutely urge you to :) One more thing, use a headtracker too if you can.

As for the cornering, I might be not the most helpful source of info, but I hope I can give you an advice or two in that regard. I rarely ever touched the 125 CC class, so take it with a grain of salt.
With DST on, leaning inside the corner seems a little too dangerous unless you are trying to swing the bike to the other side or it's simply going fast enough with no abrupt road camber changes, at least when your rider lean is mapped to buttons. Let's suppose we're not using the L/R rider lean for now.

Contrary to what one might think, throttle is your biggest friend while going through a bend. It greatly reduces your turning radius. Just make sure that from the outside of the track you are starting to head to the apex and give it a healthy amount of twist :) You might even help shorten your wheelbase with simultaneous application of both throttle and the front brake, but be careful with that.

One good track to get started is Grobnik. It has a nice flow, but be careful of the camber changes.

Become dust

Quote from: passerBy on April 04, 2017, 06:21:58 PM
Always a pleasure to see more people trying this feature out :) To be honest, back in the day DST was far from great and GPB in general seemed to have some issues preventing from enjoying it to the fullest. That was one of the reasons why I kind of left both the community and the sim (the forum even flushed my posts history). This version, however, is much better :) But I would advise you to try the alternative mode, directsteer=2. Let's call the one you use DST1 and this one DST2.

I personally use an FFB steering wheel with the angle set to 40 degrees, and let me tell you the immersion level is something else. I started with DST1 back in the 2013 when I didn't have the wheel, and even making the bike going was a difficult task. With DST2 you simply turn the bars the way you want them to be turned to. Also, you get a lot of info from the FFB during cornering. So, if you have a chance to try it on a wheel, I absolutely urge you to :) One more thing, use a headtracker too if you can.

As for the cornering, I might be not the most helpful source of info, but I hope I can give you an advice or two in that regard. I rarely ever touched the 125 CC class, so take it with a grain of salt.
With DST on, leaning inside the corner seems a little too dangerous unless you are trying to swing the bike to the other side or it's simply going fast enough with no abrupt road camber changes, at least when your rider lean is mapped to buttons. Let's suppose we're not using the L/R rider lean for now.

Contrary to what one might think, throttle is your biggest friend while going through a bend. It greatly reduces your turning radius. Just make sure that from the outside of the track you are starting to head to the apex and give it a healthy amount of twist :) You might even help shorten your wheelbase with simultaneous application of both throttle and the front brake, but be careful with that.

One good track to get started is Grobnik. It has a nice flow, but be careful of the camber changes.

Front brake and throttle... as if my dst1 control wasen't counter entuitive enough i must use the breake aswel! Well then! Another dimention of finese i must learn, i might sound displeased but trust me im pumped! I would looooove to try other tracks snd bikes but sadly i don't have the money/budget to buy a licence which is really fustrating! The standard track seem a little... too simple one paper but because I'm still practising my DST skills (if you will call it that) i really just struggle tryna get through the corners but! I managed to achieve a decent laptime of 3min and 2 seconds on victoria. Im allways attempting to push it to the limit and thus my controlls are wuite sensitive meaning trying to do the slightest milimeter of adjustments and the abrubt need for a quick brake action in one hand can get tiring, but in the end. I do love how challenging is, and how rewarding this game can be despite how damn near impossible my setup may be, i hope in the future i would get the chance to try the game with a licence and a racing wheel :) once i beat my best laptime ima attempt to upload it here for you to check out, naturally it is not mandatory :D

miki

This will sound like a stupid question, but what exactly is Direct steering, what's the difference between default and DST?

Become dust

attempted DST2 was unable to do the right binds for turning. help?

passerBy

Quote from: miki on April 04, 2017, 07:59:19 PM
This will sound like a stupid question, but what exactly is Direct steering, what's the difference between default and DST?
Default steering model basically puts you on the same bike with an AI rider and you tell this automatic pilot what lean angle you want.
With direct steering you are the rider. You have the same controls over the bike you'd have over a real one. And you change the bike's lean angle mostly using the handlebars. Here comes the concept of counter-steering: you can't just turn the bars to the left and expect the bike to follow. After turning the bars left, the front wheel will try to go left from under you, making the rest of the bike lean to the right. That's how you lean the bike. And leaning is what makes it go through a bend. When you want to straighten the bike up, you turn the bars into the lean, and the front wheel get in the way of the bike, making it want to go back vertical again.

Quote from: Become dust on April 04, 2017, 07:59:47 PM
attempted DST2 was unable to do the right binds for turning. help?
Do you have an FFB wheel you can use with it? I'm not sure there's much sense switching to the second mode with a joypad.

passerBy

Either way, this is what I use.

In profile.ini:
[hardcore]
directsteer=2
directsteer_maxangle=20

[aids]
autoriderfblean=1 //no other aids

[view]
mode=1 //first camera with headtracking

I set the wheel's angle to 40 degrees in the separate controller profile for GPB. The pedals are configured like they would be on a car. The L/R rider lean is on the wheel buttons (not very helpful), also one button is for the rear brake.

Since the wheel doesn't exhibit a lot of precision, I had to use the new feature of having inverse linearity curve. I set the Lean's Linearity slider to somewhere under 150%. That leaves me with more or less enough precision while the bike is leaned in a turn.

I would recommend to not use the rider left/right lean unless absolutely sure for now, since more often than not it leads to a fall. Only if you'll find a way to put it on another analog axis, then by all means.

Become dust

Quote from: passerBy on April 04, 2017, 09:54:27 PM
Either way, this is what I use.

In profile.ini:
[hardcore]
directsteer=2
directsteer_maxangle=20

[aids]
autoriderfblean=1 //no other aids

[view]
mode=1 //first camera with headtracking

I set the wheel's angle to 40 degrees in the separate controller profile for GPB. The pedals are configured like they would be on a car. The L/R rider lean is on the wheel buttons (not very helpful), also one button is for the rear brake.

Since the wheel doesn't exhibit a lot of precision, I had to use the new feature of having inverse linearity curve. I set the Lean's Linearity slider to somewhere under 150%. That leaves me with more or less enough precision while the bike is leaned in a turn.

I would recommend to not use the rider left/right lean unless absolutely sure for now, since more often than not it leads to a fall. Only if you'll find a way to put it on another analog axis, then by all means.

Allright thanks

Become dust

Quote from: miki on April 04, 2017, 07:59:19 PM

direct steering is what it says you have direct control, there are 2 types here is a discussion you might wanna check out: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1125.0

but what it basically is, it is "direct control, you have direct control of the bike and the rider regardless of speed and current angle, with the default setup you are basically commanding the "rider" to turn left or right but can only turn so much considering speed, in other words the rider will turn to the calculated limit without falling. It is hard to explain but the best way i can explain it with is that it is driving with no safety net, no "aids" at all, i guess :D also sorry it took so long to answer did not see your post D: