• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 12:25:45 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

What is going on with UK used bike prices?

Started by h106frp, August 02, 2016, 08:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Looking for a cheap project bike and all i can see is overpriced, rusty, knackered, high mileage rubbish which people seem to think is worth thousands of pounds.

Have i missed something in the last couple of years?

Strangely i could pick up a super sport 600 for a reasonable price, but a low capacity commuter has a joke of an asking price  :o ???

matty0l215

Hipsters... ;D Surprisingly you can make a shitty old CB250 into an equally shit but shiny Cafe racer :P

People want a project nowadays then try to sell them for more than they are worth or get halfway through and give up when they realize it actually requires more work than changing rust for shiny parts. You're better off buying a slightly rough bike over a half done strip down, they might seem cheap but it's more hassle than it's worth unless you are a shit hot mechanic :P
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Vini

go and see how much they ask for rg500 engines.

ridiculous.

doubledragoncc

Everything in the fucking UK is over priced its fucking shit here to buy anything for bikes. I have to order so much from outside the UK or others have to pay and that puts costs up.

Sometime looking for accident but non right-off bikes that have mainly plastics damage can save a lot if you dont mind using china plastics. Fully painted brand new injection molded CBR600 body kits can be gotten for 300 quid including all fittings and shipping

Guess you just gotta look harder these days

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

It was actually a crappy cb250 that caused me to crack  in the end >:( guy was trying to convince me it was cheap at £800 - possibly one of the worst bikes made (basically an eighties Benley engine) and i have seen better than this one in the breakers in the past.
I was hoping to grab a small capacity bike for zipping around locally as i really cannot be bothered with the speed camera paranoia that comes with my old ZX6 which is apparently basically worthless despite being immaculate and significantly more technically advanced than a CB.

Agreed Vin - anything that's genuinely a bit tasty/collectable can currently only be purchased in Monopoly money.

Ah well, back to surfing Gumtree  :(

matty0l215

Cheap and cheerful went out when the current restricted license system came in. No new rider can ride anything with more than 33 or 46 BHP so anything under a 400 is fair game.

Ergo, price goes up.

h106frp

Just read up on the new licensing - i was wondering why some of the tastier 400's had not gone up like their crappy counterparts. Maybe a late model super four might be an option then, seem cheap for the spec - the lack of a fairing would possibly keep the speed down a bit ;)

davidboda46

In Sweden it's also ridiculous. You can get a decent older car for 2000 pounds but a decent bike, nope. A bloody Ducati Monster 620 ie Dark 03, with nothing special on it, for 4000 pounds... it's a 13 year old bike and there are thousands of them out there... I just don't get it.

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

HornetMaX

Stout Johnson

Yeah true, 5 years ago supersports and superbikes were the biggest markets. Now with the trend to nakeds in general and cafe racers in particular, you have a high demand for those (and the respective prices) whereas the market for full-fairing sportsbikes seems to be almost non-existent. I sold my old CBR 600 RR this year for €1.500 whereas I would have received ~€5.000 five years ago.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

matty0l215

Your right Stout, Naked/street bikes are going mental. Sports bike as we know it are dying (In the UK at least and seemingly in Europe)

Mainly because of Euro 4 regulations Manufacturers struggle to make a powerful and nutty sports bike (look what the did to the Panigale!) or the have to make them under powered and quite so they are tree friendly.. >:(

HornetMaX

I'm not sure it's due to Euro4 regulations. Sport bikes cost more than roadsters, are less flexible (unless you plan to go a lot on track) and on the road roadsters are just as fun if not more.
Today you have roadsters with 120+ hp, a territory that a few years ago was only for sport bikes.

matty0l215

I meant Sports bikes as we know it. Dedicated sports bikes that aren't 1000cc 200bhp bikes (even they are struggling to get enough bike sold for race holomagation)

For example If Yamaha took the MT-09 took the and did a "sports bike" conversion (clip on's, sporty fairings, different gearing etc), It could be as good as the Street Triple/Daytona cocktail (i know the Daytona came first but you get my point)

There's a lot more to it I know but I just don't like the idea of losing a breed of bikes that have been around since the start. Adapt to survive :P

HornetMaX

Well, if Yam did that, the "sport" version of the MT-09 would cost 3,000E more than the roadster, thanks to titanium screws, unobtanium rods and launch control :)
Look at the price difference between a Daytona and a Street. The problem would stay, no ?

You do have 600cc sport bikes today and they spare you some cash compared to their 1000cc sisters ... but a (new) cbr600rr sport costs as much as a (new) cb1000r roadster: unless one plans to do quite some track days, I'd advice the roadster hands down.

h106frp

If  the prices of very low mileage used supersports and superbikes keep falling i think we might just see a revival of the streetfighter theme. Lots of very low mileage 2000 - 2008 bikes at around £1000 -£1500 (asking price) and these bikes are already capable of exceeding most riders abilities on public roads.
My prediction for the next bike hype - a more tasteful take on the streetfighter concept of 10 years ago due to the abundance of material at low cost. A Fireblade based chopper/bobber/tracker would certainly be an 'involving ride'  ;)  ;D

Trawling through the ads i have seen some dreadful attempts at cafe racers - maybe someone should of explained to the buildrs that they are meant to be rideable when finished - most common failings are no steering lock/room for hands and arms between bars and tank, dreadful riding position, probably allergic to rain due to carb inlets and electrics facing open wheel spray, lots of shiny bits but an engine with interstellar mileage that has not been serviced/rebuilt and i guess the same would be true for driveline, brakes, suspension and steering - not surprising that most are advertised as SORN/no MOT

Still an unusable bike for £3000 - bargain